Horizon Zero Dawn Delayed to February 2017

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Horizon Zero Dawn Delayed to February 2017

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1327/1327163.jpgOriginally expected this year, PS4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn will now launch in February of next year.

Last year, Horizon Zero Dawn caught the interest of many gamers when it appeared as part of Sony's E3 press conference. Since then we've been waiting to hear more news on the game, but the news we finally got today wasn't what most folks were hoping for, as the game was delayed into next year.

In a post on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/06/horizon-zero-dawn-new-trailer-new-release-date/], Hermen Hulst, the managing director of Guerrilla Games, announced the delay alongside a new trailer (embedded below), saying, "It wasn't an easy choice to make; we know many of you have been anxious to play the game since we first announced it."

The delay was necessary, Hulst said, as Guerrilla Games wanted, "To ensure that Horizon Zero Dawn lives up to the visuals and gameplay quality that our games are known for. The new date affords us the extra time required to deliver fully on our ambitious vision for Horizon Zero Dawn."

Horizon Zero Dawn will now launch in the US on February 28, 2017, as a PS4 exclusive.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
First No Man's Skies, next Yooka-Laylee and now this.

While I fully understand the reasons but which anticapated games going to be release on time now? ReCore?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
For the second time today, I'm going to say that I really wish developers just wouldn't give announcement dates for their games while they're still in active development. This is practically inevitable at this point, and it wouldn't even need to be news if they would just reign things in and keep it quiet until the thing is actually complete enough to judge when it'll be good to ship.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
mysecondlife said:
Call me weird but I regard news of delay as good news.
See my worry is its bad news. Because it shows the devs either completely overestimated their skills to produce, or underestimated the complexity of the project. Neither of which reflects well on the final product itself.

I'd much rather a dev say "We established a realistic time-frame and met it perfectly" than "we ran into a shit load of unexpected problems have to delay months to fix them"

This actually is a pretty big red flag for what the final game will be like. Corners are being cut somewhere or they over-promised and features won't be in the game.

KnightOfAthena

Dec 13, 2010
Are the games being delayed so developers can create the NEO versions or so they can make sure the base version isn't that much worse?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
shrekfan246 said:
For the second time today, I'm going to say that I really wish developers just wouldn't give announcement dates for their games while they're still in active development. This is practically inevitable at this point, and it wouldn't even need to be news if they would just reign things in and keep it quiet until the thing is actually complete enough to judge when it'll be good to ship.
Yeah, in fact I wish developers wouldn't announce a game period until they can set a realistic date, I'd say 6 months before release maximum, 3-4 months preferably. Long enough to generate plenty of hype, short enough that any real issues would have been already taken care of by then, and if it got cancelled before then, well, we didn't know it existed in the first place so no disappointment. It also would mean they wouldn't have to make their employees work 20 hour work days for a couple months in order to meet a release date. Estimating release dates far in advance of the realistic ability to deliver is the cause of a lot of the issues with the video game industry, and it's entirely self inflicted.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Well new trailer at least. Why include human enemies? It feels wrong. They don't really need them and it changes a character when they go form comforting a dieing robot to stabbing a person in the back.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Silentpony said:
mysecondlife said:
See my worry is its bad news. Because it shows the devs either completely overestimated their skills to produce, or underestimated the complexity of the project. Neither of which reflects well on the final product itself.

I'd much rather a dev say "We established a realistic time-frame and met it perfectly" than "we ran into a shit load of unexpected problems have to delay months to fix them"

This actually is a pretty big red flag for what the final game will be like. Corners are being cut somewhere or they over-promised and features won't be in the game.
No one's ever going to estimate their skills nor the complexity of the project perfectly in 1 go. That's why its an estimation. Also, they ARE going to run into shit load of unexpected problems. That's just the nature of not only game development but programming in general. Plus, they're obviously not going to tell us any of that.

Also, I don't see how this is a pretty big red flag. Games get delayed all the time and not all game that end up being delayed turns out bad.

VoidWanderer said:
mysecondlife said:
Unless you are a PC gamer, or it is a game published by Warner Bros...
I am a PS4 owner. I do prefer my PC though.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Saw this coming from a mile away. I have been looking forward to this, and there was all of this talk of it coming out this year, but there isn't actually a damn thing about it in the news. Only a handful of stories. Based on how little of it we have seen, I also would not be surprised if it was pushed back again from February 2017. When you can go to Gamestop and the employees haven't heard of the game, then it's not looking good for a.) release or b.) sales.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Baresark said:
Saw this coming from a mile away. I have been looking forward to this, and there was all of this talk of it coming out this year, but there isn't actually a damn thing about it in the news. Only a handful of stories. Based on how little of it we have seen, I also would not be surprised if it was pushed back again from February 2017. When you can go to Gamestop and the employees haven't heard of the game, then it's not looking good for a.) release or b.) sales.
Hmm, will keep an eye on it but some of the new info seems to indicate a direction change in the game.

By the way, has your Gamestop started having mandatory check in?

About every week or so, I usually swing by as next door is a take out place I like. It is a good opportunity to see what is new out as some games do not have any advertising budget like some NIS titles and others, so no release awareness.

Anyway, I had on more than one occasion have a Gamestop employee require that I check in, asking for my phone number or Gamestop ID card. I would respond, no thanks, I am just browsing but they insisted saying oh you may have a coupon or some great discount in the offering and I would say, no thanks. Then they insisted that I give them my info and at that point I said, if it is truly mandatory then I will have to stop coming into the store.

Since then, I have phoned my take out order ahead of time and have skipped visiting the Gamestop store entirely.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Jburton9 said:
Baresark said:
Hmm, will keep an eye on it but some of the new info seems to indicate a direction change in the game.

By the way, has your Gamestop started having mandatory check in?

About every week or so, I usually swing by as next door is a take out place I like. It is a good opportunity to see what is new out as some games do not have any advertising budget like some NIS titles and others, so no release awareness.

Anyway, I had on more than one occasion have a Gamestop employee require that I check in, asking for my phone number or Gamestop ID card. I would respond, no thanks, I am just browsing but they insisted saying oh you may have a coupon or some great discount in the offering and I would say, no thanks. Then they insisted that I give them my info and at that point I said, if it is truly mandatory then I will have to stop coming into the store.

Since then, I have phoned my take out order ahead of time and have skipped visiting the Gamestop store entirely.
Holy god, that is would be annoying. So far it hasn't happened to me. Could you imagine walking into any store having the employee do that shit. I would do the same thing you have done in a heartbeat. There is being helpful, then there is being a stalker, and that falls way further onto the ladder half of the two than I would be comfortable with.