"Horric" Videogames being blamed for UK riots by Supernanny Jo Frost

VashtaNerada

Jul 23, 2008
I think we should all go to amazon.com type in supernanny in the search and give all her books 1 star reviews. Say that her parenting techniques have caused your children to be so violent and out of control that they are constantly starting riots in school.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
She's a fucking nanny, something I could become in five minutes on the internet. What the shit does she know?

Also, I love how she completely ignores that the rest of the world plays video games as well. The UK's problems obviously has nothing to do with idiocy, poverty and alcoholism making people's lives generally terrible. That'd be too simple.

Occam's razor, *****.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
for a minute there I just thought that the rioters were shitty human beings but now I know the truth. it's all those damn VIDJA GAEMZ goin corruptin da youth!

DarkTenka

Apr 7, 2010
I'm sorry .. but wtf is a "Super-Nanny" in this day and age?

Does she baby-sit the internet or something?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
If this is true, then why have I, who play God of War and Dead Space, not already at least committed minor property damage like smashing mailboxes?

DVTK00p

Sep 11, 2009
The great thing is, the video game industry is so damned huge and powerful now, no crackpot self proclaimed "expert" spouting off her mental flatulence is going to bring it down. I'm not worried.

On a side note.. Conan the Barbarian is due to be released in theaters shortly so I figure thats my excuse to go raping and pillaging. *sigh*

Periodic

Jun 18, 2008
Till the end of time, people will never stop blaming video games every time a teenager so much as spits on a sidewalk.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
What a load of crap. Have you seen the stuff on TV, movies and the like, lady? Get a life.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
glowbug3 said:
I think the research published by the University of New Somewhereshire is slightly flawed, as I have only murdered twice after 15 minutes of Call of Duty.

Ah, just as I was starting to hope the media had grown up...
Only twice? And you call yourself a gamer! Pfah, sir! Pfah I say!

I mean, I really love murder. Or video games. One of the two. I can't remember which, since according to the media, they're pretty much the same. It's probably murder though, I can't see myself playing something as violent as a video game.

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
I just went over this with my mom the other day. There was a murder in our state very recently, one in which an angry (and obviously disturbed) student stabbed his teacher/principal to death in her (empty) classroom (on a school day!). I commented on how ticked I'd be if they dragged all that violent videogame rubbish into it--"oh! he played Gears of War regularly! that totally explains the aggression and brutality!" Unfortunately she seems to put some faith in that stance: "Well, with such simulations, don't you think that would play into his psychosis? It stokes aggression, honey." I replied that, true, I don't believe that games have no affect on the player at all , but that I refuse to buy into the stuff that pegs it as a direct cause of violence. Only in very rare pre-disposed cases 'n all. She just shook her head.

Can no one see how videogames provide the perfect scapegoat? How little sense it makes to point to them as the origin of bloodshed?

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
captaincabbage said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What games have they been playing?

Because I have yet to play a game that's photorealistic.
At this point I think the researchers and resident game-blamers are having a harder time telling games from reality than anyone who actually plays games.
Well we've solved that issue.

I get to keep the Nobel Peace Prize on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You get it on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. We shall alternate possession of the prize on Sundays via an elborate system of levers and pullies.
That sounds agreeable.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Pretty sure that if videogames had anything to do with it... your rioters would be thin pasty white dudes who wouldn't be able to lift a brick let alone throw it.

Also hardcore gamers are generally so antisocial that they would never participate in something as social as a riot...

If I were looking for someone to blame... it would be The Wiggles! (Hear me out)
The dynamic for the wiggles concerts are mosh pit like scenario with children,
it costs lots of money and involves a lot of bitchy parents trying to get their children into the best place in the crowd. And you can quote me on this...

A Wiggles concert is like a riot training exercise.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'll be interested to see, in 20 years, how many people who were 'put on the naughty step' and then ignored as punishment,as a toddler, every time they did something 'unacceptable' like walking around or making a noise, ended up being violent?

Would be especially interesting to see if it's more or less than people who play violent videogames.

Also, from what I've seen most of the rioters look suspiciously chavvy, and the closest they get to being gamers is playing FIFA if they can steal someone's 360 or PS3.

I honestly don't see the crossover between the rioters and gamers. As a WOW player, if I was in town and saw any of my friends ninja looting from a broken store window, they'd be out of my raid permanently. Honestly, they didn't even roll on that TV.

EDIT: particularly amusing to read her going "it would be foolish to suggest there are easy answers" then going on to go with the easiest answer of all 'but it must be video games that are to blame.' I'm honestly getting tired of the tidal waves of horseshit flowing from the papers.

Also, there was a thing on facebook and twitter to gather a group of young people to descend on trouble spots in London and other areas... to volunteer to help clean up after the riots.

Note that didn't get much press attention, as we can't possibly show British youths being thoughtful and caring about the society they live in, all young people are scum and nothing can change that, it seems, according to the papers.

Unless of course they're rich, violent, property smashing scum, who then throw handfuls of money at the owner, because they're part of a special privileged club, then they get to be Prime Minister later on in life.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
again BS as far as I know there isn't any game that has the player rioting (except for HL that shows you how to use a crowbar).
DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH!