Hotline Miami Developer Embraces Pirates

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
rhizhim said:
from what i have seen, this game is on par with some random newgounds flash game.
but if i think about it a bit more, i could name at least a dozen newground games that are similar to this one and even surpass it.
so this might be some good pr for his game
I think that the main difference between this and a Newgrounds game is the amount of content. I've played some really, really good flash games, but none of them have the same amount of stuff in them as this does.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Most pirates are people who won't spend a cent on anything that can be shared and downloaded as a principle. I'm very happy that some indie developers decide not hurt customers by using DRM (and hope that it will become a habit for the AAA industry), but actually appeasing pirates feels a bit disrespectful for paying customers.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
rhizhim said:
from what i have seen, this game is on par with some random newgounds flash game.
but if i think about it a bit more, i could name at least a dozen newground games that are similar to this one and even surpass it.
so this might be some good pr for his game
Sir, let me tell you how wrong you are. Hotline Miami is fucking art.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/23/hotline-miami-review/

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Here's a tip: They're Russians! Of course they're going to embrace piracy,because they know too well that it's not even worth trying to object it.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I feel sad if pirates actually take encouragement from this, but hey at least the dev is taking a realistic view of people's behaviour. But come on guys, seriously, it's freaking cheap, if you can afford it, buy it, if you can't, buy it when you can. Heaps violent game though, violent gameplay, violent colours, violent sound. Not to everyone's taste for sure.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Well that's just someone who knows that getting mad at pirates isn't going to achieve a thing because it is inevitable.
Pirates that steal indy games like this are pretty low, but getting your knickers in a twist won't get you anywhere.

This is also someone who obviously cares a lot about his game. He apparently wants anyone who plays it to have a good experience which really shows a lot of love and the amount of dedication he has towards his creation.
The best kind of game developer really.

Shame it takes people stealing his work to show it, but he doesn't seem so fussed about it so why should any one else be?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well good will does go a long way, this move of his has been going around the internet far more then the news of the game itself.

While I can't say this game is a perfect purchase I do approve of their standpoint.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Weird decision. I really don't get people who basically support those who acquire their products illegally. But eh, it's their game.

Also why the hell is there a torrent link in the original post?!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Smertnik said:
Weird decision. I really don't get people who basically support those who acquire their products illegally.
Because it might guilt trip a few into buying it, and might make you a few fans who'll buy your next game.

Whereas screaming at them for being bad and putting in DRM only encourages more to pirate.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Boy this feels like a question designed to make us feel uncomfortable about potentially bringing down mod wrath. I feel like answering this question honestly and with a anti-piracy stance could break forum rules about encouraging piracy. Please don't hurt me mods! I can change!

Props to him for his laid back attitude and all, but, well...theres an issue. As much as I hate to be painfully self aware, I was uninterested in this game, but might very well pick it up if it gets great reviews or goes on sale. But actively giving piracy a thumbs up? Now I kinda want to just pirate it because they said it was okay. Not saying I will, and I wouldn't think about it before this announcement, but I certainly feel the incentive here to not spend money. And if I was planning on buying it full price, I would have probably changed my mind and pirated it instead. If he wanted to get goodwill and promote future games, he could have just eventually made it free. So though I can't be angry at him, I can't help but feel like hes not exactly being too smart about this, and all he is doing is increasing the chances that he won't make enough money to finance his next game. Can't we find a middle ground between, "Everything ever should be free", and "Customers are all criminals and need to be treated as such"?

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Here's the thing about pirates. When I was younger, and I used to download Nintendo Roms and songs I heard on the radio, I'd always say to myself, "I'll buy it if I like it" but I almost never would. Rationalize it all I like, I was stealing media. There wIll always be something more important to spend ones money on (like the games/music I couldn't steal) and for every single thing I bought after the fact, that I waved around as some false badge of honor there were dozens of other things I stole and enjoyed completely that no one ever saw money for.

I was younger, and dumb, and I was lying to myself. Maybe not every pirate out there is living my experience, but I find it hard to imagine it any other way but worse. (Not counting the guys out there in heavily restricted regions, those guys have legit reasons)

If the creators wanted you to try before you buy they'd put out a demo. Piracy only makes the industry stale as developers become more gun shy to take any risks on things that may not be bankable. I hope Hotline Miami's patch has a big F you hidden in it for pirates.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
The Hungry Samurai said:
Piracy only makes the industry stale as developers become more gun shy to take any risks on things that may not be bankable.
How does that make sense? If even some of the claims about people liking it and later buying it are true, then piracy is having positive effect on taking risks, since it allows people to play (and potentially buy) other things than sequels and imitators of things that they already know they want.

And even if it isn't true, piracy wouldn't be more harmful to experimental games, than to established blockbuster franchises. Even if all piracy would be eliminated tomorrow, and if everyone would act like the younger self that you described, so it would lead to an overall increase in sales, a disproportionally large part of that increase would go directly to EA's and Activision's big franchises that everyone feels "obliged" to check out even if they are not partcularly big fans, just because they want to stay "in the loop" with other gamers.

Also, popular things are easier to pirate. Indie content is only infrequently uploaded on most casual pirate sites, while overhypes blockbusters offer piracy links before you would even finish typing their name in google.

Besides, even if the pirates themselves really won't ever pay for the things that they play, they are spreading it's good name, so it won't remain obscure, and people like you can hear about it and buy it. Having a large playerbase can be a marketing benefit on it's own, without directly milking every player.

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
Blargh McBlargh said:
Andy Chalk said:
I like to think that I balanced the scales by calling people who actually pirate this game "jerks."
Not all pirates are jerks. :p

Some are just poor gamers, as Jonathan himself mentioned, trying to find a little escape from the pressure of daily life. Many of these type of pirates will buy games when they can actually afford it. No malice intended. :)
I'm sorry, but if you can't afford a 10 dollar game you should probably be spending your time trying to get a better job, not playing videogames.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
well that's kinda cool of him i guess.

in the, 'the only way to beat pirates is by not fighting them' kinda way