Hotline Miami Devs Reboot Steampunk Chaos Engine

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Hotline Miami Devs Reboot Steampunk Chaos Engine

This one's in preorder and will be available via Steam.

"Those who have the strength and skill to overturn The Chaos Engine will be remembered," claims the new website dedicated to this steampunk shooter reboot, a recently announced project from Devolver Digital, the folks behind Hotline Miami [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10014-Hotline-Miami-Review]. The game had a showing at indie game convention Rezzed 2013, will be on Steam, and is available via preorder for $9.99. There's a short teaser here for you to ogle. Ogle away!

No concrete word on gameplay. The 1993 original featured two-player co-op, in which you went head-to-head with Baron Fortescue's monster-spawning sentient Chaos Engine. The Engine's monsters conquered Britain, and it's up to these six mercenaries to infiltrate the Engine's new Empire and bring it crashing down.

'here [http://getgamesgo.com/product/chaos-engine], if you want a closer look, but there's not much there at the moment.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/22/the-bitmap-brothers-classic-steampunk-shooter-the-chaos-engine-is-getting-a-remakereboot/]

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Anyone who doesn't remember this game will be shot on sight.
Interested to see where they go with this.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
These guys are good at making static-y trailers that tell us basically nothing about the game without external context, eh?

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Devolver Digital is a publisher so they did not the develop Hotline Miami they only published it. Dennaton Games developed Hotline Miami and I highly doubt they are the developers of this title.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I remember playing this on my friends Amiga. Awesome news. I'll be curious as to what direction they will go with it.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
This game was Nintendo Hard to the nth degree, i loved it but i'm worried its going to be easymode/3rd person shooter/some other rubbish...

No way i am going to buy this on the strength of a teaser, but fuck am i ever excited!

MHzBurglar

Oct 5, 2010
Quellist said:
This game was Nintendo Hard to the nth degree, i loved it but i'm worried its going to be easymode/3rd person shooter/some other rubbish...
It's been difficult to find information so far but from what I've read across various sites, the game is going to be an upscaled "original pixels" re-release with extra features that's been optimized for modern hardware. (Think Sonic CD for Steam/PSN/XBLA/Android/iOS.)

They're supposedly going to have a mode with the exact same play mechanics and difficulty as the original '90's version as well as a modern version with added save points and adjustable difficulty. I've also heard that they're adding drop-in/drop-out online co-op (in addition to local co-op) and 16-direction movement (the original had 8-direction movement.)

Supposedly Mike Montgomery from the Bitmap Brothers (the original game's development team) is working on this with the new dev team, so hopefully it'll stay true to the original.

Either way, I'm really excited for this. I loved this game back in the day on my Amiga and I'm glad to see it getting some much deserved attention.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
MHzBurglar said:
Quellist said:
It's been difficult to find information so far but from what I've read across various sites, the game is going to be an upscaled "original pixels" re-release with extra features that's been optimized for modern hardware. (Think Sonic CD for Steam/PSN/XBLA/Android/iOS.)

They're supposedly going to have a mode with the exact same play mechanics and difficulty as the original '90's version as well as a modern version with added save points and adjustable difficulty. I've also heard that they're adding drop-in/drop-out online co-op (in addition to local co-op) and 16-direction movement (the original had 8-direction movement.)

Supposedly Mike Montgomery from the Bitmap Brothers (the original game's development team) is working on this with the new dev team, so hopefully it'll stay true to the original.

Either way, I'm really excited for this. I loved this game back in the day on my Amiga and I'm glad to see it getting some much deserved attention.
Whoa if thats the case it will be sweet. Tbh being an old crusty now and with a lot less free time on my hands i'll happily take the save points!

Thanks for the info