House and Senate overwhelmingly pass atrocious relief bill. Trump slams it and says he'll veto.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think it was Tony Schwartz that said Trump is mentally incapable of understanding other people aren't as selfish as him. It doesn't even occur to him that Democrats would want to give struggling people more money; he thinks they're just as self absorbed as he is.
Quite possibly. Severe narcissists tend to have a very poor ability to conceptualise other people as individuals with their own motivations, values and desires. Typically, and possibly connected, narcissists project a lot - which is to say they accuse other people of doing and thinking things that they are doing and thinking.

Particularly in terms of projection, now think about all the stuff Trump keep accusing others of. He's really giving us an insight into himself, and it's not pretty.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
So much for Nancys all or nothing. That 1.8/1.9 trillion bill while less than ideal, was still somewhat respectable compared to this pure garbage. Sad to say, but I don't think we will get anything decent even if the Dems will have full control.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
One thing I think is smart by Pelosi but bad for the American people is her use of the unanimous vote on 2000 dollars.

One all the democrats will vote yes for it besides people who come from rich wealthy neoliberal areas and even that's a maybe, but some Republicans will vote no on it, and she gets to pick them off in 2022. If they vote yes on it, then she gets to take partial credit.

As for Mitch, if he does ANYTHING but lets people vote on it in the senate, and yes on 2000 dollars for almost all Americans he will get the blame. Even if immigrants don't get it, their children will vote against the Republicans. People will notice money, not in their pockets, so they will know if Mitch did anything. Even if he is smart, and he is, he's been backed into a corner.

If he tries to for example say she will get it, he will get it, but not him, that person who doesn't get it will be pissed. If anyone can think of a way out, tell me in the forums because I am not seeing a way out. If Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer(Potus, Speaker, and Senate Minority leader) are all for it, people will blame you for it if you're not for it.

I don't care how much NPR, CNN, and another centrist, and center-right news sources cover for McConnell, he will either lose his seat or be forced to do the opposite of what he's been doing which is to take money away from the American people vs give it to them.

Turtle out of this.

Now, why is it bad for the American people, because for this to work, everyone has to vote for it in the house, and some rich district democrat or more likely republican will use the deficit as a cover to protect their voters from either higher taxes or higher taxes in the future.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I think all this time spent analyzing the motivation behind Trump vetoing the bill or asking for 2k is a waste. I don't care why he does something I think is good, I just care for the good thing to be done.

Now, I guess if someone is gullible enough to have their view of him swayed by this act, I guess you could use this discussion to dissuade them, but I would consider you not giving people enough credit when you attempt such a thing, and that most people would not need you to do that.

Selfishly helping people instead of stoically hurting them and shedding tears as you destroy their futures because you have to are not morally equal. Helping people is still way better, even if you do it for the "wrong reasons".

Reactions: tippy2k2

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008

The expenditures were actually included in an omnibus spending bill that became a legislative vehicle for Covid relief and aren't a part of the stimulus bill itself.

And a closer inspection of them reveals the things Trump complained about track almost exactly with what the White House had requested in its annual FY 2021 budget, which was released earlier this year.

Reactions: Agema

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
My favorite is the people on the internet going "why didn't he do things like this for 4 years, he could have been so popular if he worked with the Democrats against Mitch the whole time." And I laugh and laugh, because I've been saying that the whole time, except is isn't Trump causing the impasses, it's been the Democrats who are refusing to work with "Hitler". They could have done whatever they wanted for 4 years if they let Trump put his name on it, and they blew the whole opportunity.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
My favorite is the people on the internet going "why didn't he do things like this for 4 years, he could have been so popular if he worked with the Democrats against Mitch the whole time." And I laugh and laugh, because I've been saying that the whole time, except is isn't Trump causing the impasses, it's been the Democrats who are refusing to work with "Hitler". They could have done whatever they wanted for 4 years if they let Trump put his name on it, and they blew the whole opportunity.
The real question is why didn't the democrats do this for 8 years back when there was a recession on their hands. We wouldn't have had Trump if everyone got 2k a month back then and Obama would have had a statue of him in every city in the country.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The real question is why didn't the democrats do this for 8 years back when there was a recession on their hands. We wouldn't have had Trump if everyone got 2k a month back then and Obama would have had a statue of him in every city in the country.
...might have something to do with the GOP publicly declaring that they were going to obstruct Obama at every level and the controlling the legislature for 6 of those 8 years.

Reactions: CaitSeith

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
God it would be such sweet poetic justice if Trump actually did one decent thing in office and it was to burn this shit stain of a bill to the ground and absolutely torch the Democrats and Republicans for OKing it. This stupid bill is about 80% pork. Everyone but American Citizens seem to be making bank off of this bill, not to mention the random bullshit like making streaming a felony and whatnot in this bill...

We don't need no water let the mother fucker burn. Burn mother fucker, burn.
Yeah, fuck it, I would rather get nothing then have to see this pork bullshit pass. And I actually need the money. But good on trump, if they actually give everyone 2k and remove the pork.

The streaming bullshit, foreign aid, and corporate shilling needs to go. Fucking disgraceful.

Reactions: tippy2k2

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah, fuck it, I would rather get nothing then have to see this pork bullshit pass. And I actually need the money. But good on trump, if they actually give everyone 2k and remove the pork.

The streaming bullshit, foreign aid, and corporate shilling needs to go. Fucking disgraceful.
If there's been one positive to the shitshow that has been 2020 and Corona, it's that this is getting a LOT of attention. Normally all the Centrist Democrats and Republicans just turn a blind eye to this kind of bullshit but everyone has kept an eagle eye on this Relief Package since so many REALLY need it. It seems likely that once this has all passed and gone through, the Centrist Democrats and Republicans will just ignore it again but hey, having this shit called out once is a lot more than I ever expected.

I mean, there are still plenty of Centrist Democrats harping on about "Be GrAtEfUl We'Re GeTtInG sOmEtHiNg!1!1!" but people seemed to have finally seen through that bullshit.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
...might have something to do with the GOP publicly declaring that they were going to obstruct Obama at every level and the controlling the legislature for 6 of those 8 years.
Why didn't they do it in 2009? Because direct stimulus checks are the Republican way of doing things. Bush did a direct stimulus to fight the recession. Democrats in 2009 did their stimulus as basically an omnibus package where they threw money at all their pet projects expecting it to trickle down. I've said it before, that was hardly Obama's fault, it was the Democrats in the legislature that passed that monstrosity in Obama's first month in office and left him in a bit of a vice.

Part of why the GOP was the obstructionist party for 6 years is because the first 2 years when the Democrats had unilateral control, they did crap like that.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Why didn't they do it in 2009? Because direct stimulus checks are the Republican way of doing things.
BULL FUCKING SHIT IT IS

THOSE FUCKERS WANTED TO GIVE POOR PEOPLE LESS OF A STIMULUS CHECK BECAUSE THE POORS DON'T DESERVE CASH

THAT'S HOW BUSH'S "TAX REBATES" WORKED

If direct stimulus checks are the Republican way of doing things, why'd they fucking block it smart guy?

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Why didn't they do it in 2009? Because direct stimulus checks are the Republican way of doing things. Bush did a direct stimulus to fight the recession. Democrats in 2009 did their stimulus as basically an omnibus package where they threw money at all their pet projects expecting it to trickle down. I've said it before, that was hardly Obama's fault, it was the Democrats in the legislature that passed that monstrosity in Obama's first month in office and left him in a bit of a vice.

Part of why the GOP was the obstructionist party for 6 years is because the first 2 years when the Democrats had unilateral control, they did crap like that.
First time in my life I hear that.

Is there like, a reason that they have to stay a republican thing, when a lot of democrat voters seem to want and need them though?

Is it like political cooties where if the republicans touched something we get their cooties if we do it too?

Isn't covid something worthy of realigning what things are republican and what things are democrat over? I mean, we did get the new deal during the last depression. I think it's fitting we get republican cooties and money this one.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
BULL FUCKING SHIT IT IS

THOSE FUCKERS WANTED TO GIVE POOR PEOPLE LESS OF A STIMULUS CHECK BECAUSE THE POORS DON'T DESERVE CASH

THAT'S HOW BUSH'S "TAX REBATES" WORKED

If direct stimulus checks are the Republican way of doing things, why'd they fucking block it smart guy?
Yes, but you can't give people who dont work money. That would be evil