How and When should you beat your meat

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
Goldeneye1989 said:
Valksy said:
First off, don't beat it, use one of these: http://www.kitchenkapers.com/simply-better-45-stainless-steel-tenderizer.html

If it is good quality and a nice cut (like a rib eye or something) then just a touch of salt and pepper and let the flavour stand for itself.
-snip-
Alright cheers maybe if i get some spare cash ill pick up some tools. An no it's not really good quality, basically bulk budget rump. Uni student means poor. But yeah cheers and ill remember if i decide to treat myself :D
Nothing wrong with rump steak =D but I can vouch for the stabby thing doing a damned good job on it if you can get one. Steaks get the most tender when the muscle fibres are shorter - so an area of the body that does not get much exercise will not have developed long stringy fibres so will be tender from the get go. With a cheaper cut you get need to shorten those fibres yourself.

Whacking it with a steak mallet does break them but the stabby thing is way more efficient and you don't get any crushing. It is a worthy investment.

For seasoning, something like: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/beef/beef-steak-seasoning-mix-recipe.html sounds good to me. But that depends if the meat is naturally tasty to you without help in which case salt and pepper will just amplify flavour without overwhelming it.

(and to think that I was once a vegetarian....)

CouchCommando

Apr 24, 2008
I don't actually tenderize my meat, just cook it slow and season with salt and pepper according to taste, or to mix it up a bit rub in some steak seasoning,
Or my favorite buy a pepper steak from the butcher, mmm hot pepper steak "its like my mouths on fire! and every ones invited!".

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I usally do it by mysel....

Ohh...I have no idea ask a butcher or a chef.

Damn misleading thread title.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Beat it lightly before freezing.
Hammer the crap out of it after thawing. I personally have not tried it but most people grab a smooth beer and marinate it with that. Depending on the taste of the beer add salt, pepper, paprika and garlic salt or just regular garlic. Usually I just add paprika, salt, and pepper. Depends all on taste, grab a bowl and add the spices and such in little by little taste the stuff and depending on taste add or not add as much. Rosemary works good with steaks. Rosemary, garlic and pepper is the bomb.

Also I hope you aren't beating it with some random object but rather those little metal mallet dohickies...I don't know what they are called.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
1. I love this misleading thread title.

2. I don't cook (I can't, I'm hopeless), but my parents use salt and pepper (how much depends on what you like, but you ALWAYS need a little bit regardless), mixed into the steak sauce, with a couple of other thingies thrown in.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
MystryMeet said:
Also I hope you aren't beating it with some random object but rather those little metal mallet dohickies...I don't know what they are called.
Honestly i was just punching it .... yeah.
RathWolf said:
Man, the problem with this thread is now I really want some steak.
Yeah, I had myself some dinner whilst i was responding to this thread, and now i want eats again
Valksy said:
Nothing wrong with rump steak =D but I can vouch for the stabby thing doing a damned good job on it if you can get one. Steaks get the most tender when the muscle fibres are shorter - so an area of the body that does not get much exercise will not have developed long stringy fibres so will be tender from the get go. With a cheaper cut you get need to shorten those fibres yourself.

Whacking it with a steak mallet does break them but the stabby thing is way more efficient and you don't get any crushing. It is a worthy investment.

For seasoning, something like: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/beef/beef-steak-seasoning-mix-recipe.html sounds good to me. But that depends if the meat is naturally tasty to you without help in which case salt and pepper will just amplify flavour without overwhelming it.

(and to think that I was once a vegetarian....)
Mmmm Food science. Im just using store gotten seasoning rubs so far and ive started to combine them and it's working dam well, with a little bit of salt to keep it dryer but still tender.
If only i had a nice Lemon lime and bitters to go down with it.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
This was so set up >.<

Hmm, I usually pound it for about 2 mins each piece and then throw it on.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Goldeneye1989 said:
MystryMeet said:
Honestly i was just punching it .... yeah.
Haha yeah that is neither good for the fists or...wait...I don't think it matters for the meat. Yeah that would just fuck up your knuckles mate haha.

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
Common way is to tenderise then cook.
I say tenderise, marinate(papaya,kiwifruit etc, ginger works best imo) then cook it in whatever way you fancy. Food Scientist seal of approval =D

It has taken a great amount of self control for me to go on and on about myosin fibrils and water content+fat streaking and the whatnot about pre-freezing rigor......

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Valksy said:
Whacking it with a steak mallet does break them but the stabby thing is way more efficient and you don't get any crushing.
burntheartist said:
You should only tenderize tougher cuts of beef. A steak cut should be well marbled and shouldn't be tenderized too much. Steaks benefit from having the juices seared in.

You wanna pound the crap out of the lower half cuts. Except brisket, it benefits more from low temp roasting or broiling.
And that is exactly why I was going to say I was a bit concerned about using "the stabby thing" on a steak. With any decent steak, you do not want to puncture it in any way (seeing people perforate them with a fork makes me sad), because it just lets all the juices out. Probably one of the easiest ways to screw up a good steak other than overcooking it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Goldeneye1989 said:
Julianking93 said:
....damn misleading thread....
You went there, not i.
Hehe reminds me of House...
Foreman: Why would your mind go to abuse so fast?
House: I had a funny uncle.
Foreman: You were abused?
House: What? No! How did your mind go to that so fast? I just had a funny uncle, great stories, always filthy...

OT: Anyway afaik, after defrost, before frying pan. Beat it, salt it (or however you wanna prepare it), fry it.