How are you feeling about the upcoming Pillars of Eternity-Release

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
it releases on the 26th
Has anyone preordered it? How's your hype-level? Has anyone looked into previews? Hopes for the game? Fears? Expectations?

As someone who regularly replays Baldur's Gate and similar titles I'm so excited for a new isometric groupRPG with a deep story.
And also terrified because it might suck balls or not sell enough copies to justify revisiting the genre as a game developer.

nesbitto

Nov 25, 2013
I've got my eye on it. Won't pick it up on release as I've still got lots of college work to do, but if it reviews well I can see myself putting a lot of time into it.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I can take it or leave it to be honest. I have been mildly interested in it but not enough to get excited about it or consider picking it up on release like Divinity earlier im content to wait a few years to get it at a low price ive still gotta finish planescape. I dropped it because as a game its awful imo but I really like the setting and some of the characters I just wish it had been a VN or something because the game features are pretty bad imo hopefully pillars of eternity doesnt have the same problems.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Its Obsidian so its likely to be amazing.

But I am not a fan of retro art styles and system dynamics. I mean not every game has to be full on 3D eyegasm to be good but Pillars looks like it could have been released in the early 90s.

Now there is an upside to that, knowing Obsidians focus on immersion and story elements and building complex and believable worlds, even though it looks like late 90s 16 bit tru-color garbage, its likely to have a huge and engaging storyline which will have immense amounts of content and a lot of replayability.

Overall its likely to be insanely good...but again the art style and game system design choices are holding back my enthusiasm somewhat.

hybridial

Feb 24, 2015
I am interested, but I believe it would be prudent to wait after release and gather impressions from people who play it.

Not reviews because I don't think any site is very reliable anymore, but enough people talk in relevant places to be a decent guage. mainly, I want to see how the overall quality of the story pans out.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
I trust Obsidian, but forgive me if I don't pick up at launch. I trust them to make good games, I don't trust them to make polished games at launch.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
It's definitely piqued my interest, but I'll wait till it's released. I've been waiting for the 2nd coming of Baldur's Gate for some time, but I tried "Divinity: Original Sin" and something about it just didn't click for me, so I'm going to hold off until a few more reviews come out for this one.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Interested.

It's Obsidian, so I expect a good story (and bugs out the ass) to be present. I'll wait on user reviews and stuff though.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I'm interested in it and will probably get it at some point so long as it isn't completely panned with good reason. I'm just not sure when I will get it. Maybe in the next holidays or Christmas, hopefully it will have patched by then (because it will probably need a few).

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Certainly on my top list of interesting games, but I'm not doing this shit blind.
Just as is likely to be "OMG Obsidian story" it will also be "OMG Obsidian game bugs", if the game will run at all on launch that shit would be surprising.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I backed it last year so I'm getting it day one. I am very excited for it though I am just hoping I will be "in the mood" to play it when it comes out. I've been avoiding playing any party-based RPGs lately so as not to burn myself out on it before it arrives. I really do hope it lives up to my expectations and will be a really fun game.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Isn't that being made by the same crew as Wasteland 2, a game in the same genre with an utterly forgettable story and utterly crap gameplay?

Colour me aggressively uninterested.

raeior

Oct 18, 2013
Zhukov said:
Isn't that being made by the same crew as Wasteland 2, a game in the same genre with an utterly forgettable story and utterly crap gameplay?

Nope, Wasteland 2 is by Inxile. Pillars is made by Obsidian so completely different team.

I kickstarted Pillars so I'm getting it on launch. I'm super hyped for it even though some of the stuff during the beta got..quite mixed responses especially since they were working a lot on combat balancing and stuff. The latest comments on the final beta version were really positive though.

So far I liked all of those "new retro" RPGs and I hope that it will be the same with Pillars of Eternity.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Looks good. Little old school but that's not a bad thing. I expect a great story, there might be a fuckload of bugs but I am curious about whether that was Obsidian or their publishers forcing a release before they were ready. One of the dangers of being one of the few hired gun devs left out there.

It's not a big enough deal to me right now to pick up at launch but I have been curious abut this since I first heard of it.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Zhukov said:

First time I've seen anyone share my opinion on Wasteland 2. I have no idea why so many people were singing that game's praises.

PoE on the other hand, by Obsidian and not inXile, I am very excited for. I've seen streams of the gameplay and read a lot about the mechanics (while mostly preserving myself from story spoilers) and it looks like it will be right up my alley. Also, for all the crap they get, Obsidian have released some of my favorite games of the past few years, and I trust their writing will be as good as always.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I'm really looking forward to it but I think my current laptop can only run it at low settings so I'm going to wait until I get a new PC next year and play it then. I love Obsidian and these kinds of games so waiting kind of sucks but I'd rather play it with a good computer and by the time I do play it the expansion should be out.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
BLAHwhatever said:
it releases on the 26th
Has anyone preordered it? How's your hype-level? Has anyone looked into previews? Hopes for the game? Fears? Expectations?

As someone who regularly replays Baldur's Gate and similar titles I'm so excited for a new isometric groupRPG with a deep story.
And also terrified because it might suck balls or not sell enough copies to justify revisiting the genre as a game developer.
I Kickstarted the game so I'm really excited for it. I have a vague idea of what to expect, but I have no clue about the story or how the game is going to play so I'm just stoked to get my hands on it and begin playing.

I fear it will be shit, but I love Obsidian and all of their games so far so I don't think that is on the cards. It has made like $5m already so I doubt it will flop.

I'm just excited to start playing, I need a new, challenging and deep isometric RPG. It's been too long since Baldur's Gate.

Pr0 said:
Its Obsidian so its likely to be amazing.

But I am not a fan of retro art styles and system dynamics. I mean not every game has to be full on 3D eyegasm to be good but Pillars looks like it could have been released in the early 90s.

Now there is an upside to that, knowing Obsidians focus on immersion and story elements and building complex and believable worlds, even though it looks like late 90s 16 bit tru-color garbage, its likely to have a huge and engaging storyline which will have immense amounts of content and a lot of replayability.

Overall its likely to be insanely good...but again the art style and game system design choices are holding back my enthusiasm somewhat.
Are you sure you mean early 90s? It looks like an early 00s Infinity Engine game to be honest but with 3D character models and higher-res backgrounds (with dynamic lighting effects also).

I'm surpirsed you describe a game that looks as gorgeous as this as "late 90s 16 bit tru-color garbage". It looks beautiful.

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
Smooth Operator said:
Certainly on my top list of interesting games, but I'm not doing this shit blind.
Just as is likely to be "OMG Obsidian story" it will also be "OMG Obsidian game bugs", if the game will run at all on launch that shit would be surprising.
But aren't most of their bug problems usually because they always have issues with their publishers?
Which is why they decided to go the self-published route with kickstarter.

I mean, the stick of truth didn't have any publisher-related screwing over and I believe(Didn't buy it when it came out), it had a distinct lack of bugs.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Great, especially since it was supposed to come out LAST APRIL!

Seriously, my favourite feature of Kickstarter is how the 'Estimated Delivery' dates are set in stone.

Ever since RPS decided to put Molyneux in the hot seat over the shameful performance of Godus, I've been wondering why game journalism hasn't gone after other KS campaigns that have missed their 'Estimated Delivery'. They aren't hard to find. There are plenty of projects that have blown right past their original release dates, all of which received strong positive press coverage during the fundraising phase.

Is it because some of the individuals behind certain projects hold some status of 'Untouchable E-Celeb Who Can Do No Wrong'?