How are you handling the Summer heat?

Sep 24, 2008
Hey, Leg End. This weekend I went to Orlando for a family trip. Due to... reasons, Orlando has become hotter and more humid over the last few years.

My cat is a Russian Blue, and she was fine until we actually touched down and got into the Orlando Air. It took me 4 minutes to find my Car, and that's all it took for my cat to be Panting.

Cats do not pant. I never saw this before.

The car was baking under an Orlando Sun. I cranked the AC and rubbed her with water from my water bottle for 25 minutes before I started towards a Petsmart. And even still, she was panting and generally worrying the hell out of me.

And I remembered our conversation.

And that's where I found the Cool Pet Pad(tm) Self-Cooling Pet Pad [https://www.petsmart.com/dog/beds-and-furniture/cooling-and-heating-beds/cool-pet-padandtrade-self-cooling-pet-pad-5235233.html].

I ripped it open, put it into her carrier. She put down one paw, then the other, and then she curled up onto it and rested. No more panting. No shaking. Nothing. She felt peace for the first time in 45 minutes.

I can wholeheartedly recommend these things. My cat was probably saved due to them. I got two because while it's pressure activated, it loses its coolness after 2-3 hours. It's supposedly ready to go again after 15 minutes of non-use. So, it made sense to get two so that if she runs out of coolness for one, she can walk to the other one and use that one up, giving the first pad ample time to recover.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
ObsidianJones said:
And that's where I found the Cool Pet Pad(tm) Self-Cooling Pet Pad [https://www.petsmart.com/dog/beds-and-furniture/cooling-and-heating-beds/cool-pet-padandtrade-self-cooling-pet-pad-5235233.html].
I have one of those for the dog, but he tried to eat it so I had to take it away. It is nice and cool though.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I was just reading about the horrible heat wave spreading across France. On a somewhat related and horrible-to-say note, this year will be great for wine collectors I imagine.

Anyway, it's important for homeowners to clear out their air conditioner drains this month -- if it's been on non-stop like mine has. Be sure to pour a cup of bleach (or something more environmentally friendly) through the drainage pipe leading from the AC to the outside once a month.

I neglected to clear mine this year so my AC unit was blowing hot air or simply refused to turn on. I had to take my shop vac outside and connect it to the outside AC drain with some duct tape and vacuum out the horrible, jelly-like algae that had grown inside. This after turning off the dedicated breaker, of course.

Replace your filter at least once a month as well.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Unrelated existential dread.
I am preparing for a major test at the end of this month, and the preparation is killing me.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
With difficulty, the heat makes it difficult to get to sleep. And during the day, I begin to understand why siestas are a thing.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Tiny bit of a bump, but current temps in my particular hellhole are now firmly in the triple digits for the foreseeable future, and 110s are probably next week. The Igloo joke just stopped being one. Both a joke and an Igloo.

panalow said:
AC's are open from 12 to 18 hours a day.
I just wish my windows could support standard AC units. If only the ones that could fit weren't so stupidly expensive, at around three times the price.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I think I can speak for everyone in Britain right now in saying, this heat can fuck right back off to Africa where it came from. I'm not built for these temperatures, I miss the rain and cold.

Apr 17, 2009
Catfood220 said:
I think I can speak for everyone in Britain right now in saying, this heat can fuck right back off to Africa where it came from. I'm not built for these temperatures, I miss the rain and cold.
My skin is melting. Swear to god, actually melting

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Fuck. It was fucking 33oC today in my home city. It's getting unpleasantly hot for me at 23oC. I think I should emigrate to Iceland if it carries on like this.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I'm in Asia and the humidity is fucking brutal here so my solution is to stay indoors with the AC cranked to eleven and catch up on old video games.

I did a summer in my old apartment with no AC and it was not a good time. The landlord installed a unit that October and even late it was a welcome relief but never ever again. I don't think I got any sleep for almost three months.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
We hit 40c yesterday. Fortunately, my office has AC. Unfortunately, the soundproofed room I rehearsed in with the band afterwards did not. Shit got hot as balls in there.

I remember walking out at 21:00h when we were done and thinking to myself how refreshing the evening air was. It was still 33c out.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I don't think I'm cut out for all this global warming bollocks. Was hoping death would be a little quicker and colder to be honest. And heroic, if poss. But fat chance of heroism in this heat. Unless the heroism is to be found in the water or freezer like a drowning/trapped child or summin. Cold water, obvs!