How Borderlands Went From Brown to Brilliant

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
How Borderlands Went From Brown to Brilliant

A lot can change in four years, and nobody knows this as well as Gearbox Software, creators of Borderlands [http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-Xbox-360/dp/B000WMEEB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969488&sr=1-1]. Their game, born of the concept "Halo meets Diablo" in April of 2005, started life as "retro sci-fi" with a design direction decided on largely by committee, with almost everyone in the company allowed to weigh in. Yet in October of 2009, when the game finally saw light of day, it was wildly different having undergone an enormous 11th hour art direction reboot, sending the team into nearly a year of crazy, last-minute crunch.

The end result speaks for itself. Borderlands has been well-received by critics and consumers alike and a sequel is already in the works. But at the risk of sounding melodramatic, one has to ask "at what cost?" According to Gearbox's Brian Martel, the cost was pretty steep.

"Did [our] process work?" he says. "Well, kind of. The bad thing was it did demoralize our original Art Director."

Martel, one of the company's co-founders, stepped in as AD after the game's first AD resigned, largely as a result of the chaos caused by the committee-based conceptualization process. Martell says the team eventually settled on the retro sci-fi look with mechanical and realistic overtones but that the end result was something brown, unoriginal and uninspiring.

"We created our own prison, essentially," says Mikey Neumann, Creative Director. "As a developer, your dream project is one where you set your own rules and you do whatever the hell you want to and that's awesome, but the thing is when you start creating your own world, you start creating your own rules and bringing yourself into these little boxes."

Gearbox calls the period of time between October of 2005 and October of 2008 their "Brown Period," as a result of the overwhelming presence of the earthy tone in every aspect of the original Borderlands design which, according to Neumann, had spread beyond just the art.

"The 'Brown Effect' was actually all over the project," he says. "We needed to break our shackles and make a fucking awesome game and not worry about how real it is."

In order to do that, they'd need to make some hard, bold choices. So Martel headed up a secret design committee that created a new, secret prototype of the game "in a closet," in his words.

"The game was in trouble," he says. "I know that we need to do something with the game, but I'm not sure what."

So he took the original concepts back to the drawing board and, pairing them with the over-the-top gameplay elements, saw where the game's art direction needed to go. From there it was only a matter of getting everyone else on board.

"We were worried because if we were to suddenly go 'Hey we're going to do this!' Obviously everybody is going to freak out," he says.

Luckily, everyone, from Publisher 2K Games on down to the rest of the team, immediately saw the light, sparking a creative renaissance that carried them through the pain of the redesign and on to release and beyond. Although it worked, Gearbox doesn't recommend the process.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The art style change was BRILLIANT.

Hell, without it, I probably wouldn't have played the game nearly as long.

Apr 28, 2008
I remember seeing some early gameplay vids from before the art change.

I'm glad they changed it.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
wow. i love the art style, did not like the game ending.
but wow

i wonder if there ever will be a movie about a game company going through the process of making a game...

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I like reading about the struggle of making games that turned out to be a success. It's really interesting, I hope you'll do more of those.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I'm glad they changed to game's style to better represent the gameplay. I remember the few things I read about the original Borderlands. It sounded like it was mostly about fighting bandits and giant insects on a distant planet. Which made me think it was just a clone of Lost Planet. I took another look at the game after seeing how much it's artistic design had changed. It was a lot more unique and appealing, which ultimately led to me trying to game out. And while it certainly is still about killing bandits and giant insects on a distant planet, it's fun to do so. But had they stuck with the original design I probably would have never bothered to try the game.

I'm guessing the story suffered as a result though. One of the things I can recall about the original game's details was that it seemed to be more story driven. Though this might not have been true for the final product regardless of whether or not they changed the design.

LTK_70 said:
I like reading about the struggle of making games that turned out to be a success. It's really interesting, I hope you'll do more of those.
It certainly gives us insight into just how hard it can be to make a good game. Makes a game's flaws seem more understandable.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Makes me sooo glad the game is as successful as it is. Cult game of the year maybe? I loved the art style, its what caught my eye and made me look at the game.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
The art style was great, and the game was great. I cant wait for the sequel, but I just hope that they make modding guns harder.

My douchebag friends all use modded weapons now, so every time we play together it's about as difficult as hitting the broad side of a barn with a sniper and about as fun as..... Hitting the broad side of a barn with a sniper.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The artstyle was great, gameplay could've been better... Good on them for being successful, thought it was a pretty boring game after being so hyped.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I think it's still pretty brown... but maybe that's just the "brown is more real" unreal engine. Still, its definitely better then it would have been.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
That's awesome. The hard work was definitely worth it, and they created a game they should all be proud of.

battlepope2

Aug 19, 2009
PopcornAvenger said:
This article might lead people into believing Borderlands was a good game.

Mislead, rather.
Agree totally with you. Borderlands is a bug free, dumbed down Hellgate London for console players. That is why it works, not because of art direction.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Having never played the game myself, I had to go look up the differences in the "old" and "new" art styles, and I must say that it's about damn time that somebody took a few cues from the 2008 Prince of Persia art style.

Will this alone get me interested in trying Borderlands? Probably not. I already have enough shooters in my collection to make a full suit of armor, and I really don't need a plume on the helmet.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
The art style of borderlands the way it was released was incredible. I actually remarked when playing it with a friend on how I was glad they didn't go with the gritty brown "realism" of most modern games.

Now I find out, they almost did.

I find that funny.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I thought the art style was the best thing about the game.

Regardless, I still can't get back into it because it's just no fun to play on your own.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The game stayed Brown. And not just in the visuals. I found it one of the most boring games visually since Crysis and Oblivion...