How can "gamers" and "social justice warriors" get along?

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
SUPA FRANKY said:
Of the above image, I don't see how the women on the right is sexualized. I know plenty of women in my college who dress like that. Hell, just look at pictures on Instagram.

Is it because she has big boobs? LOL, compared to the muscular handsome shirtless hunks in every game lol.
So do you really not see it, or are you trying to make a point that you see, but don't think it's a problem. Because they are very different. It's practically a game of spot difference sexulation version. See if you can spot all the ways the character has been made to look more sexy. (I found around 6.)

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
nomotog said:
So do you really not see it, or are you trying to make a point that you see, but don't think it's a problem. Because they are very different. It's practically a game of spot difference sexulation version. See if you can spot all the ways the character has been made to look more sexy. (I found around 6.)
Of course she is, that character was meant to be as appealing to audience as possible. It's a cheap marketing ploy but it works. And it not just females, why do you think Nathan Drake looks like he looks? Because of "every woman wants to be with him and every man wants to be him" paradigm that's embodied in so many characters but James Bond probably is the best known example of that idea.

But why stop there. Even cartoon and even non human characters are made same way, to appeal to widest possible audience. It took a year, for example, to finish with all back and forth during the design of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Is it sexist? Not in my opinion. Is it problematic? Well... I would say maybe, more research on it's effects should have to be done. But even then, in my opinion, it's less problematic than all the beauty advertisement which is also less problematic than all the modified images on social networks (I go with idea that the less removed from reality it is, the greater impact it has on person)

But in the end, people should be free to make what they want to make and offer it to the public. If public hates it, it will fail and if market loves it it will succeed. That's about it. Individual feeling can and should be expressed but should not be forced upon creators.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Of the above image, I don't see how the women on the right is sexualized. I know plenty of women in my college who dress like that. Hell, just look at pictures on Instagram.

Is it because she has big boobs? LOL, compared to the muscular handsome shirtless hunks in every game lol.
Big boobs ( So mythical and unrealistic!), bare midriff ( wow! So sexualized), and makeup. Stuff that women wear every day.

Like I don't get it, do you want women to be ugly or something? I call sexualized stripper poses and chainmail bikini armor, not something you would wear during the summer time lol.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
SUPA FRANKY said:
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

Big boobs ( So mythical and unrealistic!), bare midriff ( wow! So sexualized), and makeup. Stuff that women wear every day.

Like I don't get it, do you want women to be ugly or something? I call sexualized stripper poses and chainmail bikini armor, not something you would wear during the summer time lol.
Maybe you are missing a lot of it. There are a lot more details then a unrealistically large chest. Notice the shoes, the hair, the mark on her cheek, all the other stuff. There is really a lot to unravel. It's not really a ugly thing. I mean the left picture isn't ugly.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

Maybe you are missing a lot of it. There are a lot more details then a unrealistically large chest. Notice the shoes, the hair, the mark on her cheek, all the other stuff. There is really a lot to unravel. It's not really a ugly thing. I mean the left picture isn't ugly.
I only noticed the breast, midriff and makeup, but I don't know.

I didn't know shoes were sexualized...?

Also, unrealistically large? Just go on Instagram for a few minutes lol.

I just don't see how she is sexualized. Not conservative, sure, but just because she has big tits and a flat stomach doesn't mean she's sexualized.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
SUPA FRANKY said:
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

I just don't see how she is sexualized. Not conservative, sure, but just because she has big tits and a flat stomach doesn't mean she's sexualized.
Let me see how may I can point out. Working form the feet up. We have heeled sneakers; We have some stockings. Notice how they are more sheer and they even show that band; Extra bracelet on her arm.; Exposed belly; Her shirt logo gets changed. Now it's a more generic heart then the hipster steam punk thing.; The extra large chest that looks out of place on someone so skinny.; A lowered neckline with A bit of cleavage.; Big hoop ear rings.; Now she is smiling.; A lot of extra makeup to cover that mark on her cheek. Oh and eyeshadow.; Bigger eyes.; Longer hair.; A big pink bow.; Finally they are saying different things. (About 13.)

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
nomotog said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

Let me see how may I can point out. Working form the feet up. We have heeled sneakers; We have some stockings. Notice how they are more sheer and they even show that band; Extra bracelet on her arm.; Exposed belly; Her shirt logo gets changed. Now it's a more generic heart then the hipster steam punk thing.; The extra large chest that looks out of place on someone so skinny.; A lowered neckline with A bit of cleavage.; Big hoop ear rings.; Now she is smiling.; A lot of extra makeup to cover that mark on her cheek. Oh and eyeshadow.; Bigger eyes.; Longer hair.; A big pink bow.; Finally they are saying different things. (About 13.)
I guess if you go out of your way to find them, you will. At first glance, I only noticed the boobs, midriff, bow, and makeup.

But really? A shoes are sexy now? A different color stockings are more sexualized than the one on the lefts? The bracelet is sexualizing her up lol.

If you saw the two someone dress like that in a store, would you be like " Man, she is so sexualized. She should stop objectifying herself. She should be dressed like the conservative, flat chested girl.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
As has been said, we'll get along when gamers learn to deal with people criticizing something they like, and when "SJW"s learn how to keep things in context/proportion.

Notshauna

May 12, 2014
Eventually the average gamer will become diverse enough that the SJWs will see far more diverse roster of game characters and better ones too.

But, in regards to sexualization male characters rarely are sexualized mainly for the same reason why many female characters are, most developers are straight men. Sexualization is caused when a decision is made to make a character more sexy, be it a skin tight catsuit, cleavage windows, chiseled features with just enough stubble, et cetera; the important thing is the reasoning not the result, many male characters might be attractive and sexy by traditional standards but they are not sexualized unless they were designed to be so. Of course sexualization in itself isn't bad, there are good sexualized characters, it's only a problem when a character is sexualized in a manner that goes against their character or when they aren't characters just glorified blow up dolls.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Vast majority of men don't give a crap how male characters are portrayed. And they range from Japanese bishounen (feminine face, muscular body, demon to undesirables, angel to, well, mostly HER) which actually get majority of little hate there is to Neanderthal face overblown muscle barbarian freak and everything in between.

But let's be honest, difference lies in amount of people complaining. Men don't care but women do care, or at least care more and express it loudly. Everyone gets their share of sexually stimulating imagery from games, it's just that different games target different groups.

Also, I'm interested in how is that bad. Is it the same problem that people have with general representation in media as in creating unrealistic expectations? Or is it on grounds of not being just like some/majority of girls? Or the lack ov variety? Or something I completely missed?

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
BlumiereBleck said:
They won't get along. They don't need to get along.

It becomes a lot easier when you stop caring about the politics surrounding gaming. Yea there are issues that should be addressed (bad business practices, etc.), but lately it seems like every issue no matter how small is suddenly a mountain of injustice.

If you're letting the bullshit that's on websites such as this actually interfere with your ability to enjoy your hobby, there's a problem.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
SUPA FRANKY said:
Just to back this up, you can say that the one on the right is more sexually provocative ('sexualised' does not mean what a lot of SJWs and such think it does) but you can't say it's 'unrealistic'. I know tonnes of people that dress like this and I see far more around the city. Hell, go to any university with a pole dancing society or a burlesque society and you will see women built and dressed like that all the time, to the extent that it just doesn't register after a while.