how can i get better at cod?

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Practise. A lot. Don't noob tube, it doesn't help.
I'm going to assume you have MW2, so in that case, try this custom class out.
I'd suggest using a Scar-H, with a heart beat sensor, a Spaz-12 with red dot sight, Scavenger Pro, Cold Blooded Pro, Commando Pro, a Tactical Insertion, and Stun Grenades.
This is a really good all round class, and I got god knows how many kills with it. I'd suggest trying to just find a class that suits your play style.
Try that class and tell me how it goes.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
For the most part, keeping your movement fast and deliberate will keep you alive, as will checking corners and reloading when you are completely sure no one will kill you.
You'll also want to use a weapon you like and are comfortable firing both down the sights and from the hip.
For me it's the M4 holographic, brilliant gun (with stopping power).

The best way to rack up kills is catching the traffic right on the highway, if you'll excuse the metaphor.
What I mean is that you'll want to catch your enemy moving to were they think you are, not where you actually are.

Now, you can't control the other players, but you can try to out-move and out-think them.
You won't always win, but you can become better and better to the point that you find when you lose a lull in the action and not frustrating.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
Don't play MW2 is a good solution, but if you want to persist, then I'll give some advices.

Depending on gamemode, you can rack up kills very easily (Although I still recommend going for objectives instead of going out of your way for kills), on maps such as Karachi on Domination, there is a section on "B flag" where you can set up a perimeter where the enemy will usually funnel in one entrance (provided you have either A or C flags), if you check your minimap often, you will know where the enemy is coming from and will be able to respond, getting quite a bit of kills. People will call this camping, but it's more like locking down an area because people are too stupid to find alternate routes. In terms of actual combat, you need to judge on when's a good time to use ADS or hip fire, also when to shoot or when to just say "screw it" and knife them. Know when to rush and when to play defensively and check your minimap.

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
by being a dick,yeah, pretty much that...camp, spawnkill, so you'll get killstreaks and start using unfair advantage, pretty much do whatever annoys you, but turning it around

the lapalminator

Jul 27, 2010
Harkonnen64 said:
By using the marty and noob tube. Also camping helps and so does nadeswitching.

Now that that's out of the way, I agree with the above post; be a sniper. Snipers tend to have higher kill/death ratios because they aren't put directly in the line of fire. If at all possible, use claymores to guard you while you snipe or use bandolieer so you can snipe longer. Speaking of claymores, be sure to have a smoke grenade if you use them. If you know an enemy is coming, throw the smoke grenade in the claymore area and the enemy will be much less likely to avoid it as he will be running into walls or walking slower to avoid running into walls.
does this work with a assault rifle with a acog sight

the lapalminator

Jul 27, 2010
TheTaco007 said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Switch to Tactical Layout if you're playing on consoles. Like it or not, drop shots are by far one of the best ways to get easy kills.

TheTaco007 said:
Give up MW2 and play CoD4. Trust me.
Also, this. CoD4 is a game about skill. MW2 is a game about frustrating Commandotards, Noob Tubers, and overpowered killstreaks. MW2 is a hell of a lot less rewarding to good players because it doesn't actually take skill to kill people in MW2 most of the time.
Yup. CoD4, you really gotta know how to juke, how to aim, when to play defensive, and when to go rambo on the entire enemy team.
if it takes no skill then how am i failing consistently!

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
the lapalminator said:
TheTaco007 said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Switch to Tactical Layout if you're playing on consoles. Like it or not, drop shots are by far one of the best ways to get easy kills.

TheTaco007 said:
Give up MW2 and play CoD4. Trust me.
Also, this. CoD4 is a game about skill. MW2 is a game about frustrating Commandotards, Noob Tubers, and overpowered killstreaks. MW2 is a hell of a lot less rewarding to good players because it doesn't actually take skill to kill people in MW2 most of the time.
Yup. CoD4, you really gotta know how to juke, how to aim, when to play defensive, and when to go rambo on the entire enemy team.
if it takes no skill then how am i failing consistently!
Play Bad Company 2. All the action around you will hone your reflexes to a needle point, then go back to mw2 and pwn the noobs. Thats how i did it, thats how my friends did it, and its worked out pretty well so far.

Broken Boy

Apr 10, 2010
I will spare everyone by not quoting L3m0n_L1m3 but still this man knows what he is talking about. Listen to the wise teacher.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
Phase 1: Collect Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit!

OT: Practice makes perfect. Also, play S&D and Headquarters first, then go to team death match. Not only will the extra XP from S&D and HQ help you get better guns, it will also help you learn from dying so much.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
This is what I do for every CoD game that I play. It may not work for you.

1. Get to know the maps.
2. Find a gun that you really like.
3. Run around like a headless chook with said gun.
4. Develope your reaction time (playing on 8-9 sensitivity helps).
5. Aim for the torso.
6. Once you get good a this throw in some tricky shit.

This is seriously how I play and before my brother started playing on my profile my K/D was nearly 2!

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I can't tell you how to get better at this game, but I can tell you how I got better at CS:S. It didn't have anything to do with the engine, the game, weapons, damage, or whatever.

In a game with NO squad tactics built in, I operated like there was. I picked someone that was GOOD (in this case, I knew the guy), and together, we roamed about on maps stacked against us (Terrorists on Aztec, CT on Italy, etc). And we were unstoppable. He looked one way, and I would look the other way. He threw a flash, I covered him. He took point, I'd cover our ass. He was the lead in the dance, and I followed in suit. Together, we were unbeatable. It took luck, and tactical situations we weren't equipped to deal with to stop us.

In loo of that, try something underhanded. Follow other players, and let them take all the risks. Let them run a blind corner, catch the attention of a gun toting hot shot, and then come about 1 to 2 seconds later after action is already full swing, and clean up. That's called baiting, and it gets team mates killed. But it bolsters your survivability, you get better at killing people, and you may even be called a savior a few times.

Some other things to consider;

Know when to run, and when it's better to walk. Always be aware of how much noise you're making, and what in your area makes what noise. Aim for the head. Actually try to aim. It's easy mid firefight to lose control and hold down the trigger, or spam that pistol with everything you have. But before you squeeze that trigger, make sure you have those crosshairs on their head. You will die. You will die a LOT. But you'll slowly build up skill in timing, coordination with how movement effects aim, and eventually, aiming before firing will be something you can do offhand. THEN you'll be banned from random servers half the time for being to good (everyone will think you're aimbotting). That could just be CS:S, though.

Stay away from weapons that have a high clip/mag count, and high rate of fire. In CS:S that was the TMP, the P:90, and the Machine Gun. These guns promoted spray-and-pray tactics. While fun, they breed bad habits. The more you focus on aiming, you better you nurture your skills.

These are of course just a few skills that go for all games, not just CS:S. Master these, and you will do better. :) The rest is situational.

Kavachi

Sep 18, 2009
Stop playing that so called game and start playing better games like TF2 and SC2.

Ah well, this is kinda a dick move from me, so Í'll give you some real advice. Camping is not a noob tactic, getting behind cover is not a noob tactic, "hard scoping" (you only get that kind of crap with the XBOX live community) is not a noob tactic. Actually hard scoping is how a sniper is supposed to work. Ah well, just camp, and hold a position till you get a good chance of moving out.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Luftwaffles said:
Play Bad Company 2. All the action around you will hone your reflexes to a needle point, then go back to mw2 and pwn the noobs. Thats how i did it, thats how my friends did it, and its worked out pretty well so far.
Thats how I did it, but with KillZone 2, the hardcore crowd in that are seriously tough and any counter measures such as mines take about 3 seconds to activate so the game makes you plan in advance. Went onto MW2 and my cousin was seriously impressed with how I handled it.

In fact my stats started destroying some of The Escapist's and I only played it for 5 days.

For newbies I recomend the SCAR-H with Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power and Commando, also if your going to use the noobtube learn its trajectory since its brilliant at taking out snipers over a crest.

MW2 is like Killer Instinct in that your excellent one round and max everything out with some nasty overpowered toys and the next round you get creamed, so it can be annoying.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
the lapalminator said:
i really want to be amazing at cod by the time black ops comes out
Go to Youtube and look up videos by Hutch, Seananners, Pyropuncher, Blame Truth, 402Thunder402. NextGenTactics do some great tutorials.

Also, subscribe to Machinima Respawn's Youtube channel.

These guys all give good little tips and tricks and have thousands of gameplay vids.

My main bits of advice:

1.Move from cover to cover - the less of you the enemy can see the less chance he has of hitting you. Try to fin barrels and low walls to poke your head over

2. Take your time and don't run around like a headless chicken, sprinting will get you killed.

3. Never revenge rush people, it'll just get you killed again.

4. Learn the maps. Know where people spawn and which routes are busy. Follow your team-mates and learn the map routes they take.

5. Stick to the perimeter of the map, less chance of being flanked.

6. If you start to get angry, stop playing. You'll play worse when you're mad.

7. Get used to High sensitivity, it really helps you get the jump on people to the side or behind you.

8. To get good at COD you have to practice A LOT. The game is filled with obsessive, addicted gamers who play it for hours every day.

It's almost like a second job which is why I wouldn't worry about getting as good as the better players. I played COD4 for 9 days total and still find it hard to get consistently good scores.
Thanks for the names of the youtubers, I knew of Hutch and Seananners (god I hate his voice).
I'd like to add a couple more tips.

9) Another thing to take into account is allow the respawn timer to count down normally, don't jump straight back into the game, you will be punished for it.

10) Also have a special loadout ready prepared with a javelin to take out air support, air support will ruin your teams day.

11) be aware of which team you are on, the Navy Seals frog men are difficult to spot in shadows, use those sort of advantages, if your a navy seal in black, don't hug a white wall.

ww666

Feb 18, 2010
ww666 said:
How about stop playing FPS, go outside try to hook up with some girl.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a little sex is better than an FPS.
Yeah, I'd say that sex is better than FPSes. Something tells me that you only know that by word-of-mouth, however.[/quote]

I'm sorry I offended you, might manliness by giving the lapalminator my answer.

ww666

Feb 18, 2010
Catalyst6 said:
ww666 said:
How about stop playing FPS, go outside try to hook up with some girl.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a little sex is better than an FPS.
Yeah, I'd say that sex is better than FPSes. Something tells me that you only know that by word-of-mouth, however.
I'm sorry I offended you Might Manliness, by giving the lapalminator my answer.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
to be honest, nothing can beat good reflexes, if you can get in the first few shots you will win almost all gun fights, reflex training can be hard, but it's rewarding, and secondly, be parranoid and suspect everything, a good surround sound system can help you hear people sneaking up on you, other than that, everything else is personal preference and how comfortable you are with weapons.