How can I phrase it?

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
After encountering some problems with money while trying to buy Minecraft, I ended up receiving a check from PayPal with my money back. My parents saw it, and I owned up to it and explained the situation. My friends keep insisting I get the game, and I want to, but I have no further way of doing it myself (seeing as Minecraft's site refused my debit card and I had a bit of a struggle with PayPal). My friend suggested doing what he did: hand over the money to his parents and ask them to use their credit card (which is something I don't really understand helping, but hey, what am I gonna do?). I said I'd try, and he also offered to take the money and use have his mom do it, but I always feel a little guilty making other people do stuff like that. Now, I want to ask my parents, but I don't know how to word it correctly.

How could I word the idea: Here's the money I need, can you use your credit card for me?

Or are there any other, somewhat simpler, methods I could attempt?

BelfastSpartan

Oct 5, 2010
Pretty much just ask them...unless they are complete dicks they should do it for you.

Just say " there's a game all my friends are playing but you can only get it online. If I give you the money can you use your card to buy it please?"

As long as you have the money to give them and aren't making them buy it for you it shouldn't be a problem. They aren't losing out as you are giving them the money they are spending.

P.S 2 capthchas in 2 posts wth!

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
I would also emphasize that the company you're buying the game from is well known, so you can assure them it's not a scam.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
...Pretty much tell us what you told us really! Just say "I want this game online but my debit card won't work for some reason... could you get it if I give you the money please?", simples, shouldn't be a problem :)

Also, I wander if other people have problems with PayPal too? My debit card also gets problems with them... gayness -_-

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Well, we tried, but it denies his credit card too, which is bizarre. So, we're gonna try to find one of those Green Dot debit cards and use PayPal with that, see if Mojang will accept that. If it doesn't, we're either going to try and send an e-mail, or I'm going to pass my money on to a friend who can do it.

joe the janitor

Mar 17, 2009
Just use your friends acount; that's what I do. You can both play solo at the same time, just not online.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
joe the janitor said:
Just use your friends acount; that's what I do. You can both play solo at the same time, just not online.
I thought about that. One question though; are the worlds exclusive to the computer, or to the account?

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Simalacrum said:
...Pretty much tell us what you told us really! Just say "I want this game online but my debit card won't work for some reason... could you get it if I give you the money please?", simples, shouldn't be a problem :)

Also, I wander if other people have problems with PayPal too? My debit card also gets problems with them... gayness -_-

OT - As already suggested, tell 'em what you told us. Ask them if they could do you a favor, and explain what it is. If they tell you to use your debit card, or PayPal, explain why those aren't options. I'm sure they'd buy you the game if you asked politely.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
zombiesinc said:
Simalacrum said:

Incredibly gay... I'm sure.

OT - As already suggested, tell 'em what you told us. Ask them if they could do you a favor, and explain what it is. If they tell you to use your debit card, or PayPal, explain why those aren't options. I'm sure they'd buy you the game if you asked politely.
I already tried, and my dad, after a few minutes of, "It looks like bloody lego. -.-", said he would. It denied his credit card, and he didn't feel like setting up a PayPal (or he did, and it denied thta, I'm not sure). So, we're going to try to buy one of those Green Dot cards (I was originally using a Walmart Prepaid Card), and see if that works. If not, I'm going to either say screw you to the game and use my friend's account, or hand my friend the money and ask him to do what apparently worked for him.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Aylaine said:
InnerRebellion said:
zombiesinc said:
Simalacrum said:

Incredibly gay... I'm sure.

I already tried, and my dad, after a few minutes of, "It looks like bloody lego. -.-", said he would. It denied his credit card, and he didn't feel like setting up a PayPal (or he did, and it denied thta, I'm not sure). So, we're going to try to buy one of those Green Dot cards (I was originally using a Walmart Prepaid Card), and see if that works. If not, I'm going to either say screw you to the game and use my friend's account, or hand my friend the money and ask him to do what apparently worked for him.
I would have your friend do it to be honest. Having your credit card number online is risky. If it keeps denying your attempts anyhow, you may as well try to get it via your friend since his method has worked and none of yours have. :)
I talked to him, and he said he used his mom's credit card, so I'm starting to think Mojang just hates my family. I've got enough money to try both methods (I think... I might be short a buck or two), so I'm going to try my dad's last plan, then have my friend try. For now though, I've settled on using his account. So much effort for a game. But thanks everyone.

joe the janitor

Mar 17, 2009
InnerRebellion said:
joe the janitor said:
I thought about that. One question though; are the worlds exclusive to the computer, or to the account?
They are exclusive to the computer, so your friend wont be able to mess up your maps.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
joe the janitor said:
InnerRebellion said:
joe the janitor said:
They are exclusive to the computer, so your friend wont be able to mess up your maps.
Oh good. I hope that means I can play them still when I have my own account; if not, looks like I'll be spending hours replicating it all!

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Yeah this is actually are really normal request. Nothing weird about it, you don't need to phrase it in any special way. You could ask your parents to do it for you. You're parents most likely trust that you won't use anymore money then that you gave.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
I don't have a credit card yet, so I do this anyway.
It has nothing to do with how you phrase it, just say "hey [mom/dad] could you punch in your info to buy this, here's the money for it"
No big deal
rutger5000 said:
Yeah this is actually are really normal request. Nothing weird about it, you don't need to phrase it in any special way. You could ask your parents to do it for you. You're parents most likely trust that you won't use anymore money then that you gave.

pope_of_larry

Oct 18, 2009
if you want to play multilayer with your friend you can host a server and turn online mode off i did this when i wanter to show my friend the game (so he would know what he is buying) and to play lan with my brothers.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
pope_of_larry said:
if you want to play multilayer with your friend you can host a server and turn online mode off i did this when i wanter to show my friend the game (so he would know what he is buying) and to play lan with my brothers.
Even with using the same account? 'Cuz i'm still trying to get the game myself, but he hasn't been in school for me to give him my money to grab me a gift code.

pope_of_larry

Oct 18, 2009
InnerRebellion said:
pope_of_larry said:
Even with using the same account? 'Cuz i'm still trying to get the game myself, but he hasn't been in school for me to give him my money to grab me a gift code.
there are some glitches with the same account so to fix this unplug your internet play in offline mode connect and your name will be player.