How can theaters re-invent themselves for the Netflix generation?

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
Hollywood is in a bit of a crisis right now. Not only are recent films largely consisting of sequels, derivatives, and reboots, mostly for the Chinese market. But Box Office sales have continued to decline more and more as people grow tired of paying for an overpriced ticket to see yet another overly political, overly safe, copy-cat dreck. Netflix, and other streaming services have began gaining ground in their original productions from films and TV shows. Allowing people to watch what they want, whenever they want, all at a relatively affordable subscription fee.

That being said, I believe there is still a large market for public entertainment centers like theaters. Going out with friends and have special catering for entertainment with impressive displays and sound, is an experience that simply staying at home can't quite replicate. The problem is that the traditional theater system is simply archaic in an era of binge watching and consumer choice. Here's an idea, what if the movie and entertainment industry can combine the social contact and catering that brick & mortar locations provide, with the consumer freedom and choice that streaming services allow? Think of a public place where you can rent a room with Netflix for a small fee. Said room has a large 4k monitor, and comfortable seating. Maybe it could also double as a sort of restaurant as well, selling burgers or salads while you watch. And from there you can watch whatever you want, as much as you want, until you're ready to leave. Anything from movies, to TV shows that you choose.

I feel this would be a better business model than the current movie theater system we have now. It preserves the social elements and high quality catering that current theaters are known for, but also gives the consumer more freedom and value for the price. Spending $10-20 for a room to binge movies in 4k with some restaurant food would sound a lot more appealing to consumers than spending $15 on one ticket to one movie, with the best food available being popcorn and other junk food.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I doubt theatres are going anywhere. People said TV would kill cinema, but didn't. People said VHS would kill cinema, it didn't. People said piracy would kill cinema, it didn't. People saying Netflix will kill cinema...yeah, no.

As the OP's pointed out, cinemas are still a social experience. That said, I wouldn't want to be catered to while I was watching, it would just be distracting.

Cinema will still be around in the decades to come. It might just have a smaller market share.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Play older films that are worth the spectacle of the theatre- host a lounge-like atmosphere before and after so fans of the classic film being shown can mingle and meet each other. There's an old theatre in my town that does that, and it's crazy popular.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Squilookle said:
Play older films that are worth the spectacle of the theatre- host a lounge-like atmosphere before and after so fans of the classic film being shown can mingle and meet each other. There's an old theatre in my town that does that, and it's crazy popular.
Me and my partner were rewatching the Lord Of The Rings trilogy and wondered why they never replay these films in cinemas. I'd love to rewatch all these films again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
I doubt theatres are going anywhere. People said TV would kill cinema, but didn't. People said VHS would kill cinema, it didn't. People said piracy would kill cinema, it didn't. People saying Netflix will kill cinema...yeah, no.

As the OP's pointed out, cinemas are still a social experience. That said, I wouldn't want to be catered to while I was watching, it would just be distracting.

Cinema will still be around in the decades to come. It might just have a smaller market share.
This.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
By being movie theaters. I love going to a theater to see a movie. Ignoring the cost of the ticket, it is way better for watching a movie than my TV, and assuming no one is talking loud over the movie, I enjoy being in a theater of people enjoying a movie together.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Squilookle said:
This is absolutely it! Here in St. Louis there are a few theaters that do like Raiders of the Lost Arc, or LOTR or the Matrix movies about once a week, usually on Fridays, selling beer and small snacks. Always packed, every single time.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
TV's are getting bigger and home theater sound is nothing new. You can rent new movies to stream (or buy them) from your couch. You can pause when you need to and quite frankly, the snacks are cheaper from the grocery store than at a theater.

Further, you won't be getting Toyota ads when you rent or buy a movie to stream like you will in the theater.

If theaters want to survive they need to stop with the ads, have reasonable snack prices and play movies people want to see. They could devote a couple of screens to running older movies. Like all the Star Wars movies, all the Indiana Jones movies, etc... They could have polls on their website or on comment cards to find out what people want to see in the theater.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hawki said:

This.
Silentpony said:
Squilookle said:
This is absolutely it! Here in St. Louis there are a few theaters that do like Raiders of the Lost Arc, or LOTR or the Matrix movies about once a week, usually on Fridays, selling beer and small snacks. Always packed, every single time.
And that.
It shouldn't be this hard to get people to go to the movies. You can coast on RoboCop Tuesday for years.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Squilookle said:
Alamo Drafthouse somewhat does this.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Firstly, it's important to understand that cinemas won't die. It's just that instead of being an entertainment experience they will now be a social experience more, as the OP pointed out.

If anyone's Australian, then I say that Palace Cinemas and Luna probably have the right idea, focusing more on the experience rather than packing as many people as possible in. Being able to carry a cider into a screening of First Man was a highlight. Outdoor cinemas are a good idea also. And yes, they (occasionally) screen older cult/arthouse films. Luna recently had a screening of The Room with Greg Sestero introducing it, as an example. Tickets sold out after about a week.

Basically Palace Cinemas is a chain with a few cinemas around the country, while Luna is an independent group that owns about 2 or 3 theatres in Perth.

Both of them are smaller than other chains/groups. However they also have perks other cinemas don't. They tend to focus more on indie/arthouse stuff, hold film festivals, do screenings of older films/cult classics, etc. They're also licensed venues; the Palace joint in Perth CBD has a fully-fledged bar with a barister/cocktail bartender if I remember correctly.

The big thing here is that they focus more on the social nature of cinemas than the actual screening.

I'm not sure about the "Netflix rooms" you're suggesting. I think part of the fun in going to the movies is the uncertainty, not knowing what you're going out to see. A room where you can choose kinda defeats the purpose of going out, since you may as well go to your rich friends house and order something on ubereats.

Apr 17, 2009
I mean I recently went to a cinema that served me a platter of nibbles and a G&T, bringing it right to the sofa I was lounging on while the trailers were still playing. More cinemas like that would be great thanks

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
TheMisterManGuy said:
another overly political, overly safe,
Isn't that an oxymoron?

I doubt cinemas will never die out entirely: they'll always offer something of a social experience and audiovisuals better than a home system, and like you say some are turning more into a wider experience with food and drinks.

But I think they are doomed to a substantial decline now we have streaming, 80" TVs and home sound systems.

Squilookle said:
That helps, but I'm not sure it is a viable major long-term strategy alone, though. It strikes me as a potentially being a bit like music on vinyl: mostly only of interest to people who fondly reminisce about the old days and occasional faddishness. The newer generations, less brought up on the cinema experience, may increasingly find less worthwhile.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Make the screens smaller; it's annoying to have to shift my focus to different bits of the screen. Also, have cats in the cinema.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Baffle2 said:
Make the screens smaller; it's annoying to have to shift my focus to different bits of the screen. Also, have cats in the cinema.
^This! If the screens were smaller and I could have a cat with me, I could finally have a viewing experience far superior to watching TV at home with my cat!

But seriously, the theater will always be an experience one simply can?t get at home, at least not without a home theater system that can set off car alarms in a four block radius and blow out your eardrums. I think the only real threat to them is the quality of the movies; I?m willing to refinance my house to afford a large tub of popcorn to see new and worthy spectacle on the big screen, it?s just that the ?new and worthy spectacle? is few and far between these days. All the stuff that looks remotely interesting will be ?on demand? and Blu-Ray within a couple months of theatrical release, and I?m entirely willing to wait for a slightly diminished home-viewing experience of Meh: Rise of the Mediocre 2.