How can WoW still justify a subcription model?

Rasor

Jul 21, 2009
If I was blizzard and millions of people would pay monthly fees for WoW... Yeah I'd charge them. That's good fuckin business!

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
There's a few MMOs beside WoW left that still have subscription fees. One of them is quite likely to outlast WoW by a good margin, EvE Online.

I don't think WoW will ever be the only subscription MMO left.

mgs16925

Mar 28, 2008
RhanathShadowhand said:
poiumty said:
RhanathShadowhand said:
Melee map, meaning multiplayer maps. MP isn't canon...
But it uses units that are all fleshed out in the actual game. You could find a hydralisk in the second mission of Warcraft 3. It lacked any unit traits and was never mentioned again, so you can easily say that was non-canon and meant as a joke. Chen was a fully voiced, animated and designed hero character that also appeared in multiplayer and skirmish modes.

But think whatever you want, I'm done here.
It still wasn't meant to be anything more than a joke... But I'm also done here. So enjoy your MoP playtime.
What exactly do you think the word "canon" means? You have said several times in this thread that having been established in the setting for over a decade doesn't count, so there's no way you could possibly be using the dictionary definition. Although since you also seem to think "only appears in an easter egg" is the same thing as "joins the main party in an unavoidable scripted event" I'm guessing English isn't your first language.

You also keep going back to what they were originally intended as. OK, in that case the night elves are not part of the alliance but are an independent faction as powerful as the horde, alliance, and scourge while Illidan is a misunderstood good guy. Well spotted.

ZLAY

Jul 31, 2011
Because compared to other MMOs, WoW not only has the biggest player base (that's the point of Massive Multiplayer game) but also the top notch quality.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
WoW is the most successful for a reason: Between the game itself and community, its the best. People will not stop playing WoW because between they will never be able to recreate the community and fun in a new MMO. It will never be the same for the old players and a lot of the new players want to experience what made the old players love it so much.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Because blizzard supply an exceptionally good service to all their players. Things are fixed as soon as its discovered their broken, patches come along to keep expansions fresh, the interface continues to improve, new ways to spend your time get added. Plus as mentioned plus have invest years of their lives into a load of different characters and want to see their progress continue.

Personally i think its full justifiable too, 9 quid a month, so substantially less than a new AAA game, and chances are you'll easily sink more time into wow then the AAA title.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
I'd rather pay money on a monthly basis and have access to the full game and not have half of it locked by a bullshit F2P model.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
As long as people are willing to pay, there will be a subscription model. There is no real reason why it needs one at all.

With regards to nostalgia. I partly agree. But also nostalgia can be negative as well as positive. You may remember happy times which you know you will never have again (friends who have gone their separate ways). Or you remember the bad times and they stay with you as emotional baggage as you visit old areas.

I personally can never return to World of Warcraft. It's a shame the players who do play it tend to be isolated from other communities on the interwebs. To communicate with existing friends who play Blizzard products I have to play another Blizzard product to log onto Battlenet. Otherwise I have to settle with broken interview-style-small talk conversation on social networks.

Problem with a subscription model it ads a divide in the player-base. If a player loses interest in WoW, he will cut his subscription and not play at all in till he is enticed backed. The subscription fee is a 'pledge' that you will play more a majority of a month. If you're doubtful about being able to dedicate yourself, you don't pay and you can't play at all. With a F2P model you play as often as you like. It feels casual, but you are also able to play hardcore.
Also, with a ticking subscription fee you feel pressurised to play often and intensely you get your money's worth. You will rush to progress as efficiently as possible, forsaking enjoyment. There are human being that oddly enjoy being efficient at doing things, but this comes across as work. You're playing a game. Enjoy yourself. If you keep working you'll work yourself to ill health. Dedication is a good trait, but like all things, do it in moderation.

Subscription model is more likely to incur burn-out than a F2P model. But it does depend how a F2P model works. If you forbid your player base from significant content (not aesthetics) because you decide to maintain some subscription fee, then that is not fair. Buying content DLC is fine as long as it's price appropriately.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Because its actually good, and has huge content. Plus maintaining servers for 10 million active players costs money.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Despite not playing the game any more I will always say it is still the best MMO out there. It is so damn refined when compared to its competition. So much has been streamlined, it has simple mechanics but surprising depth.

I would keep playing it myself if I had the time to invest.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
RhanathShadowhand said:
Blizzard is slowly turning it into F2P model, if you haven't noticed...

1) All the hardcore stuff was gone and replaced with sissy casual stuff such as pandas and... pokemon... (I love pokemon, but not in World of Warcraft...) and easy raid bosses and quests that just take you to point a to point b without having you ever touch a button and tell you it's done.
That's wrong.

2) They have a "blizzstore" or some shit. You can buy IN-GAME PETS for 20-25?... Expect to see Ashbringer there. And The Frostmourne. And other legendary stuff.
This is also wrong. Never mind the sense it doesn't make, F2P MMOs don't sell in game weapons.

3) They started merging older expansions. You might think "oh that's just to get some people back, they lost so many players y'know...". Well no. That's a preparation to F2P. One day, they'll come up and say "Well here, now you have all the expansions, right from the start!" and sometime later they will say "Well you can play this game for free now!".
"Merging older expansions"? You mean that battle chest thing that gives you the base game, Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King? That's not merging expansions, that's good business. They realized that potential new subscribers wouldn't want to have to pay for the base game plus all the expansions so they bundled the older expansions together for a cheap price, although you still have to buy Cataclysm and Mists on their own.

4) They let people be whichever race they want, right from the start, even if they don't have the required expansion. This is not useful, but they must have thought "well this might help F2P-erializing the game...".
That's....also wrong. I mean yeah they let you be any race from the start now but barring one or two little things, your choice of race is totally cosmetic, it doesn't affect the game at all. It may not be "useful" but it's not detrimental either.

The reason why they'll go F2P?
1) Because F2P is more profitable, and we all know that Blizzard is all about profit.
"All about profit"? You mean like every company ever? Anyway, they won't go F2P because they don't need to.

2) They're working on a so-called "Next-Gen MMO" codenamed Titan. They don't want WoW to cast a shadow over Titan. They are slowly killing it, casualizing it, and turning it into a bigger money cow at the same time...
You actually used the word "casualize"....cute.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
They were the first of their kind, and they managed to transcend the usual MMORPG demographic and became so huge that they ate up the entire market. In fact, I'd say it's the other way around. All those other MMOs would deserve a subscription, it's just that next to the insanely huge playerbase of WoW, there's no way they can begin to stay competitive when they ask money from people to play their games. Because ultimately, no matter how great MMORPG of the hour is, all your friends are still playing WoW, so that's what people return to, over and over again.

Captcha: foul play

Yeah, Blizzard is playing dirty by not letting WoW just die. I totally agree, captcha.

StupidNincompoop

Oct 27, 2012
It's not really about the content of the game anymore TBH, it's just because back when it was still new, it was seen as something quite legendary back in those days.

Anybody remember WoW VS. Runescape? People were always fighting over which was better. The pros of WoW were that it was fully 3D and had better graphics than Runescape did (and i think the world was bigger too). The pros of runescape were that it was easier to get into, and free to play, with membership only an optional thing for if you REALLY liked the game.

People just gradually started talking about it more and more until it became known even by non-gamers because it had so many players. I remember that back then, if people thought you were a nerd, they would've said that you played either runescape or WoW.

However, while this was going on, Jagex (devs behind Runescape) started making wrong decisions and they managed to quickly make their game worse, and so people just quit Runescape and moved onto WoW.

If Jagex hadn't done such silly decisions as these:
- Almost complete removal of PvP
- "Improvement" of graphics which didn't really work out because the game uses java, and because it was optimized poorly
- The focus being on changing the way the game played rather than just adding new content such as new places and quests etc.
- Monetising the game to the point where it was pretty much just pay2win
And so on,
Then i think that runescape would've had just as much of a presence today in the gaming industry as WoW does, because it was a serious contender back in 2006, and i think at one point it almost had more players than WoW.

So yeah, the reason that people still pay for it is just because it's popular and still has a strong community, it won over the competition and it was clear from the start that it would be going strong.

Stoove

Oct 31, 2012
As a WoW player for... god know how many years... There's one reason that WoW is so successful;

Sheer. Damn. Volume of content.

All the way from starting a toon, completing every zone on the way, would take you forever. It's all still there, it's getting bigger with every update, and there's at least one more big expansion in it. If you're looking for value for money, WoW is where it's at.

Also; minor point about "easier" raids. The raids have in fact become both more complex mechanically and more difficult damage wise (overall). And there are Heroic versions which are even more mechanically complex. If it's easy, you're not trying hard enough.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
I once asked a mate what he thought about paying the monthly fee. The way he explained it was that WoW was the main game he played, and that he felt he spent less on other games (he still bought them, but not as frequently) and that he was happy to pay a monthly fee that ended up being about the same as he would have spent throughout the year on games if he wasn't playing it.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
More content and more technical support and a larger active community then any other MMO. All of these by far. Basicly it just offers more.

Though I do think that they need to either cut the cost of buying the game, or start doing the whole GW2/TSW model, where you buy once and then pay for content update.

The thing is wow is known for it's content updates more then any other MMO, and that they are substantial in size.

Also this
LordJedi86 said:
I once asked a mate what he thought about paying the monthly fee. The way he explained it was that WoW was the main game he played, and that he felt he spent less on other games (he still bought them, but not as frequently) and that he was happy to pay a monthly fee that ended up being about the same as he would have spent throughout the year on games if he wasn't playing it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Adromeq said:
RedDeadFred said:
I never really saw the appeal in the first place so ya, it boggles my mind that people are willing to shell out money every month on it.
I never saw the appeal of drinking / smoking yourself into an early grave, but millions do that too.
And it boggles my mind that people do that too.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
For the same reason big oil can charge what they do for gasoline; because people will pay no matter how much they ***** about it. As much as Activision/Blizzard is making on this cash cow it makes too much sense to charge people. Seriously, they've made a fortune on this game, and dedicated players aren't going anywhere anytime soon.