How can you NOT have played that?!

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
eastinfecter said:
captaincabbage said:
Fenring said:
Reading Dune. I mean REALLY.

And playing any of the Elder Scrolls games. If you've never played any of them, you're missing out.
I have no idea what Dune is. I guess I was born a generation too late and now I've got enough other entertainment stimulation to not care.
You poor ignorant fool...
Dune isn't that good, yes, sure, it's a cool sci-fi novel, probably one of the coolest, but it isn't THAT good(especially compared to the Odyssey or Asimov).

Truth be told this thread is pointless. There are many people who either don't know or care about your hobbies. Get over it, you aren't superior because you know more video games than them.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
starfox444 said:
Haven't played Ocarina of Time. Didn't have the console when it was new. Don't care enough about it to get it now.
I haven't played any Zelda game.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Someone where I work has only seen one James Bond movie, non of the Matrix or Godfather movies, and hasn't seen Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, Kill Bill, Goodfellas, or Citizen Kane. The worst part? He's a God Damned Cinema Projectionist!

Also I hadn't played Mass Effect until yesterday. I bought it in one of Steam's many sales, but hadn't played it yet. Yesterday I played for about 10 hours straight. Damn it is good :)

Now if you'll excuse me I think I may be able to fit in a game before I have to go to work. Perhaps if I skip showering and shaving I may have time for a whole mission...

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
eastinfecter said:
captaincabbage said:
Fenring said:

And playing any of the Elder Scrolls games. If you've never played any of them, you're missing out.
I have no idea what Dune is. I guess I was born a generation too late and now I've got enough other entertainment stimulation to not care.
Hey, don't call me a fool, old man! I five-starred "Through the Fire and Flames" on expert a hundred times!! DURRRRRRR!!

Lol seriously tho, I do understand that it's a *insert praise here* series, I've just got more than enough interesting, well written or funny/deep entertainment here already.
I know I might get flamed for this, but I just don't give a crap what other people on a meaningless nostalgia trip say about Dune, or anything else, I just don't care.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Someone where I work has only seen one James Bond movie, non of the Matrix or Godfather movies, and hasn't seen Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, Kill Bill, Goodfellas, or Citizen Kane. The worst part? He's a God Damned Cinema Projectionist!
I see that Triumph of the Will and Seven Samurai are missing from your list, have you taken your dose of cinema?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Traun said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I see that Triumph of the Will and Seven Samurai are missing from your list, have you taken your dose of cinema?
I don't know whether he's seen those. They're just the ones I remembered him saying he hadn't seen.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
captaincabbage said:
eastinfecter said:
captaincabbage said:
Fenring said:

Hey, don't call me a fool, old man! I five-starred "Through the Fire and Flames" on expert a hundred times!! DURRRRRRR!!

Lol seriously tho, I do understand that it's a *insert praise here* series, I've just got more than enough interesting, well written or funny/deep entertainment here already.
I know I might get flamed for this, but I just don't give a crap what other people on a meaningless nostalgia trip say about Dune, or anything else, I just don't care.
While I am willing to defend your stance not to give a copper penny for Dune, I must point out that whoever called you ignorant is right. You have obviously never had an intimate relationship with books, otherwise you would be aware that "nostalgia" cannot be applied to literature, Dune is classic, you read it because it is above 99% the sci-fi today, not because it was good once.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Traun said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I don't know whether he's seen those. They're just the ones I remembered him saying he hadn't seen.
I was just kidding, but yeah, it weird for someone in his position to be ignorant in that field.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
I still have yet to play a mario or a zelda game, I got the metroid trilogy though so thats a start.
I also haven't played black ops because i'm not interested but people at work think there's something wrong with me haha! peasants!

eastinfecter

Apr 12, 2010
captaincabbage said:
Sorry mate, no flame intended.
That "I've-got-enough-other-entertainment-stimulation-to-not-care." part stepped a bit on my nerves...Damn,i guess i really am old.
Anyway, may your "entertainment" always be well written and funny/deep.
Traun said:
While I am willing to defend your stance not to give a copper penny for Dune, I must point out that whoever called you ignorant is right. You have obviously never had an intimate relationship with books, otherwise you would be aware that "nostalgia" cannot be applied to literature, Dune is classic, you read it because it is above 99% the sci-fi today, not because it was good once.
SCI-FI? IN MY TODAY?

Karilas

Jan 6, 2010
Torrasque said:
...another person that has never read any Dr. Seuss book...
I'm 26 and up until a couple of years ago I'd never read any Dr. Seuss. I put that to rest with Green Eggs and Ham.

Amphoteric said:
I never played a Mario or zelda game. Also never played Deus ex or any pokemon game.
That's... wow!

I only played Deus Ex for the first time about a months ago. Still not sure what to think of it, I suck at FPSes, more so at mouse and keyboard control.

D33dl3

Jan 19, 2011
Torrasque said:
Halo (first one), Ocarina of Time, or Pacman
Halo ... never played
Ocarina ... never heard of
Pacman ... hated

Think maybe you need to realise that certain games are important to you but not necessarily to others.

To this point in my life I can tell you that if its a console only game then I've probably never played it possibly even ever heard of it.
Most of my friends aren't gamers so them not knowing the joys of Doom/Deus Ex and such isn't really a shock.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
I'm a bit tired of hearing this over and over, that there are games I'm apparently an idiot for not having played. I don't particularly like nintendo games, I haven't had an xbox, so all exclusives for that haven't been a possibility (I played a good bit of Halo on pc, it was alright). Same story with PS3, though friends of mine have it and I like the console more than the others. I don't even play handheld consoles at all.

It's not that I want to be recognized as a gamer (on my list of personality-traits, it's not an important one), but don't belittle me for not agreeing or caring what you think are important games, thanks.

PS. I'm not mad. :)

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Traun said:
captaincabbage said:
eastinfecter said:
captaincabbage said:
Fenring said:

Yeah, you've called me on this. I won't say that I've always had an intimate relationship with books, so I am ignorant of books. I've always been more of a film connoisseur than one of books, although I have read my own share of them, I've never really been taken by them.
But hey, maybe I'm not into sci-fi, at least not in the case of Dune.

What you said about nostalgia I found quite strange though, since a "classic" is only given merit as such by a person's nostalgia i.e. someone's desire to return or relive past events again, hence placing notions of worth upon the subject. So therefore by that logic, nostaliga can be applied to books and literature in general as a note of worth.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Fenring said:

Yep, I've met a lot of people who have never played an Elder Scrolls game.

Actually, a lot of people hadn't even heard of it.

When it comes to Dune, however...

It's more of a niche, since it's not exactly a teen sensation.

Trying to explain it to someone is kind of difficult too:

"See, there's this duke's son... wait, lemme backtrack a bit... there are these machines... Uh, wait, there's a prophet..."