How could I have deprived myself for so long?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Definitely Mass Effect 1 for me. I never really liked third person games before that. And sci-fi wasn't my usual genre either. But I could eventually get it for like half price off. So I decided to bite the bullet and see what all the praise was about. God was I glad I bought it. It was pretty much the best RPG I had played until then. Well, apart from Morrowind that is.

A second one would be Dark Souls 1. I'm a casual gamer, so the 'difficulty' the game was praised for made me not want to play it. Boy was I wrong. I decided to buy it during a steam sale, and I loved it. The 'difficulty' wasn't so much difficult but just a challenge once you got used to properly managing your stamina and blocking.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Halo

I used to be a Sony fanboy, I had a gameboy but for consoles I was a Sony fan. Then I got a gamecube and became an anti-Xbox fanboy. Then I played Halo (I think it was Halo 3) and I had a blast. It was at that moment that I realized how fucking stupid it is to take sides in the "console wars" (unless you have stock in one of the companies or can make money off it). I still have never gotten an Xbox, I didn't think Halo was enough to justify buying a console, especially one where the online wasn't free, but if I ever get my hands on one I'm buying Halo series. I don't even no the story I just played it with local multiplayer when I get the chance. I wish I had played it earlier so I could maybe have enjoyed the rise of the series when I was a kid/teen

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Dark Souls. I finally picked it up off the summer Steam sale and I can now see what all the fuss is about. While I didn't end up caring for Dark Soul 2, I just finished the 3rd game and thought it was better than the first in many ways.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Dark Souls, Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Minecraft, Portal. These are games that I heard a lot about, but I didn't play until 2 - 5 years after launch.

Droopie

Sep 14, 2016
I don't think it was a specific game for me so much as games in general.

I've always been afraid that playing, or trying to get involved in any sort of gaming community, would be extremely unwelcoming and gatekeeper-y. I still don't know if it's true: I have experiences once in awhile where I feel just as I was afraid I would, but I can't really tell if that's just my own anxiousness or if it's a genuine problem on the part of the community. What I do know is that I spent years avoiding something I was interested in because I was afraid of the community and how it would think of me. Nowadays I'm more comfortable participating in gaming and I love it even more than I thought I would. I'm kicking myself for not starting earlier, both because I missed out for so long and because the amount of content there is to catch up on is simply massive.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Jute88 said:
Have you tried the original Shogun and Medieval 1 and 2? They're all pretty good (Shogun is a bit bare bones, but still okay).

It's one of my favorite game series, but I've only been able to beat it twice without cheating (Shogun and Medieval: Viking Invasion). I was about to ask how good Shogun 2 is compared to the rest of the series, but since you've apparently only played Rome 1 and 2...
Shogun 2 is good. It isn't blow your mind absolutely fantastic in the mechanics department, but it is definitely a solid entry into the total war series, and focuses on the strengths of the series, rather than its weaknesses.

IIRC it uses the same engine as empire, and it runs into many of the same issues because of it. However, where Rome 2 basically focused on getting all the issues of Empire front and centre in a way that really ruined the game, Shogun 2 does its best to gloss over or bypass them, and is much more enjoyable for it.

First up, unit combat is the same as Rome 2 and all that. Melee is a 1v1 honour fight, when it really shouldn't be. This does lead to some really stupid defences at times where a high level general single handedly [And I mean single handedly, like, there is just this one guy fighting] takes out entire armies because its all 1v1 fights, but even though its not the truth of how things would have been, the Samurai setting can help you pretend that they really are just being honourable [Even though that's not at all what they would have been].

You have limited building slots in each city, in a way that does really impact what you do in each city, however it isn't too restrictive and most buildings are a viable strategic option, rather than just one you'll take to make sure the city doesn't revolt. In addition, every 'region' of the map has numerous resources in it that benefit that city no matter what. Some have Ninja Dojos that give bonuses to your Ninjas, some have armoursmiths that boost the defence of units trained there, some just have stone or wood that you trade for some extra money.

Sea combat works. Reasonably balanced, mostly, and a few viable strategies to work with, mostly. Historical battles tend to actually give you a bit of a proper intro to them so you know what's going on, usually. Leader speeches are a thing, and are generally pretty decent. City maps have multiple buildings you can capture to give an advantage [Two most common being gatehouses and towers, but in some scenarios there can be others], and one main capture point to fight to the death over. Diplomacy tends not to be too bad, and is reasonably functional. Special units each have a few purposes you may want to use them for. You don't need to have a general in order to have an army, though it can definitely help. 4 season years, with Winter being a time of attrition where all units in enemy territory take damage. You're sadly still plagued by the "Tax everyone" system, where the only way to set tax for one particular province is to exempt it entirely [Pretty sure anyway, has been a while since I played], and one of the good things of Rome 2 - it taking a while for unrest to build in a city once the army is gone - isn't in Shogun. AI is also pretty easy to beat in a fight, but that's normal.

Overall, its pretty good. One of my favourites, though of course it isn't perfect. If you've got the money and the time, almost definitely worth a look, at least in my opinion.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Probably the most recent was Bloodborne.

I don't think I need to go into details on the praise the game gets, especially around here. I had tried Dark Souls 1 and 2 and was left...very unimpressed. One might say I felt apathetic, if occasionally irritated. Neither of them really did anything for me, at a mechanical, narrative, or aesthetic level. However, after seeing a copy of Bloodborne for $10, I thought, "Well...I've heard it's a lot better than the Souls games. Maybe it'll be different." Lo and behold, it does feel a bit different. And I'm actually having a bit of fun with the game. The old-world European aesthetic is decent too.

Granted, I haven't been exactly 'wowed' by the experience. It hasn't felt like some genius, masterwork of game design. (in fact, the controls STILL bother me) But I've had more fun than I thought I would.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Joccaren said:
Jute88 said:
Have you tried the original Shogun and Medieval 1 and 2? They're all pretty good (Shogun is a bit bare bones, but still okay).

It's one of my favorite game series, but I've only been able to beat it twice without cheating (Shogun and Medieval: Viking Invasion). I was about to ask how good Shogun 2 is compared to the rest of the series, but since you've apparently only played Rome 1 and 2...
Shogun 2 is good. It isn't blow your mind absolutely fantastic in the mechanics department, but it is definitely a solid entry into the total war series, and focuses on the strengths of the series, rather than its weaknesses.

Leader speeches are a thing, and are generally pretty decent.
I found the speeches pretty boring. They seemed pretty repetetive and and giving me "insight" to the upcoming battle that I didn't feel was necessary or even accurate.

Diplomacy tends not to be too bad, and is reasonably functional. AI is also pretty easy to beat in a fight, but that's normal.
I agree, the diplomacy seemed to make more sense than in previous Total War games. The difficulty however seems to be higher. In previous games I could pretty easily beat the AI from Normal to Very Hard. In Shogun 2, however, I found even "normal" giving me quite the challenge. It's possible I still haven't learned all the intricacies the game has.

Overall, its pretty good. One of my favourites, though of course it isn't perfect. If you've got the money and the time, almost definitely worth a look, at least in my opinion.
Thank you for your detailed (though a bit late) description of the game. I bought it some time ago and it's pretty good (haven't beaten it yet). And you are right, it was a good purchase. I'm still not sure how good it is compared to the previous games, but it's by no means bad.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only one I can think off are the recent two, Final Fantasy Record Keeper and Final Fantasy Brave Envius. Since I am a pay as you go phone user, it is unwise for me to played those two on my phone. I just revently bought a tablet for my upcoming weekend away but I still want to used the internet so I end up getting those two. Now I feel like noobish for being new to the game when it had came out a year or two ago.

Also I guess maybe LoZ:OoT may count but only cos I didn't owned an N64 but I get to played it when it came with Wind Waker.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to protect my 19th-Century Irish Empire from Aztec invaders.
Lol good luck with that, mine just owned in the space of two or three months. On topic I ended up trying Crusader Kings 2 after watching Scott Manley play it and after playing Stellaris. The games look utterly insurmountable, with an awful steep learning curve but my god if push on through and learn the games then boy can they absorb you, well until the game gets to the late game and then decides that it will crash at exactly the same point no matter what you do (Stellaris I am looking at you here.)

On a flip side how about we name a few games that every raves about, you've tried and just couldn't see the attraction. For me that would be COD and Dark Souls, I also own and have played Rocket League but I can easily take it or leave it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
For me it would have to be Fallout. It came out in that odd spot for some PC gamers. It was just past the capabilities of the gaming pc I had at the time, which was good enough that I wasn't in any real hurry (or as a college student any ability to pay for) an upgrade. And due to the state of my finances I became primarily a console player for a few years. Around the time of the release of Fallout 3 I was finally building a new PC, and I was curious about the hype around it, so I picked up Fallout and have been a huge fan of the series since. I'm the guy that doesn't understand the hate fanboys of some of the entries have for other games in the franchise... it doesn't make sense. "IT'S ALL FALLOUT... ITS ALL AWESOME," I just want to shout. That annoys me even more than the "all Bethesda sucks" haters.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
For me, it was the Persona series from the Shin Megami Tensei franchise.

I've only really heard of the series when Persona 4 rolled around and gained massive popularity and appeal. I thought that it was simply a life sim (and to its credit, it is a third of that) that championed around the cast of characters (which it does, as future spin-off would bank on) and I didn't think much of it. When I learned that it had elements of dungeon crawling titles and RPGs, that's when I've decided to take a closer look.

I first got Person 3 Portable because it was the previous title, i.e. less expensive (plus, I didn't have too many PSP titles at that time), and figured that I'd give this game a try in order to determined whether I'd like the series in general.

Holy s***, was enjoying the hell out of this title and simultaneously kicking myself in the a** for not playing it sooner. I loved this title so much, that I got Persona 3: FES and Persona 4 soon after, as well as other titles outside of the Persona series, like NOCTURNE and Devil Summoner 2. This was truly a great find for an RPG lover like myself.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Mine's Resident Evil 4. I actually gave it a number of tries.

I rented it on Gamecube (dating myself) but didn't enjoy it very much. I hated the control scheme and I was relatively young so I didn't really have the motor skills or ability to strategize, conserve ammo, and all that.

Got it for the Wii and made it to the castle, then never picked it up again. I liked the controls better but I think the game was more a victim of my apathy towards my Wii (haha) than anything else.

Finally, I got the UHD version for my PC. Hole. E. Shit. Keyboard and mouse controls and my grownup brain made me realize how much fun the game is. The uber-cheesy story, the atmosphere, the action beats mixed with the horror elements... I couldn't believe I didn't realize how good it was sooner.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
thewatergamer said:
The Witcher 3

I played the first two witcher games, they were ok, haven't exactly aged gracefully (especially the first one) but god damn, the third one completely blew me away with how amazing it is, haven't been able to stop playing it the past few days
This too for me! I bought Witcher 3 when it came out because I wanted to give CDPR my money, but it never really hooked me... I think I got distracted by something else. I recently got back into it and that's all she wrote. I enjoyed the second one, but this is a franchise that really benefited from a truly open world. I can't wait to get home and play it some more.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Glad to see this thread is still kicking! Hm...I beat Amazing Mirror back in June apparently...

Anyway, a couple of days ago I picked up a bunch of games for cheap. Among them are games that I haven't tried yet (like Parasite Eve and The Evil Within) but one of them which I have played and really enjoy so far is Act Raiser on the SNES. If you've never heard about it, it's a game wherein you are an angel or divine being of some kind. You travel to the mortal realm, which has been overrun with monsters and demons and the like. You go through side-scrolling levels fighting monsters and platforming. Overall, it's a little bit stiff but the sound design is good and the monsters/ bosses are pretty fun to fight against. What sets this game apart from Golden Axe or Altered Beast is the other part of the game: After beating the act 1 boss, you're transported to a world map wherein you watch a new human civilization grow and develop. You can attack some flying monsters but mostly, you'll be leading the development of the human civilization in that area. Once you seal the monster portals, a second side-scrolling section opens up. It's a really cool game overall and definitely a unique gem among other...SNES gems.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
tippy2k2 said:
We've all had THAT game. "Oh yeah, I keep hearing great things about it" you say to yourself, smug in self satisfaction that it can't be THAT great. I mean, if it was that great, you'd already be playing it, right?!? What a bunch of stupid sheeple lemmings everyone else is for going all ga ga over some silly looking game.

Then, you finally play it. Maybe it was bargain bin. Maybe it was at a friends house. Maybe it was free until Sunday on Xbox Live like a certain race car themed soccer game? We're not naming names here.

Now that you have gotten your hands on THAT game, it has changed your life. What you thought was happiness was a pale imitation of what you are currently experiencing. It's like you've only been able to see black and white all your life until someone opens a curtain to a field of colorful flowers.

Rocket League

I have heard such great things about this game. I love me some sports (I own most sports in video game form of some kind) and I've heard that Rocket League was great. I figured I'd give it a try eventually but I don't NEED to play it so if I end up missing out, big whoop. Past me is going to get a kick to the fun zone for denying present me more Rocket League. I am in love with this game.

So what is your THAT game? Was it some epic game but in a genre you didn't think you'd care for? Was it something completely out of left field that blindsided you? Was it a game that you had wanted for a long time but whether it was time or money, you just hadn't picked up until late? What is your Rocket League?
Beating a dead horse at this point, but Undertale. My experience with Earthbound wasn't that enjoyable. Not because I hated the game, because I got past the intro, thought "Yeah, this is alright" and then never played it again. So when I heard 'Earthbound inspired', you could forgive me for not immediately busting a nut.

I only (as in, last month or so) got the game and immediately regretted not picking it up sooner. Especially since a few things got spoiled prior. Like how [CENSORED] turns out to be [CENSORED], which is really fucked up, because he killed [CENSORED] and he was his [CENSORED].

That, and the Arkham games.

Sep 14, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
We've all had THAT game. "Oh yeah, I keep hearing great things about it" you say to yourself, smug in self satisfaction that it can't be THAT great. I mean, if it was that great, you'd already be playing it, right?!? What a bunch of stupid sheeple lemmings everyone else is for going all ga ga over some silly looking game.

Then, you finally play it. Maybe it was bargain bin. Maybe it was at a friends house. Maybe it was free until Sunday on Xbox Live like a certain race car themed soccer game? We're not naming names here.

Now that you have gotten your hands on THAT game, it has changed your life. What you thought was happiness was a pale imitation of what you are currently experiencing. It's like you've only been able to see black and white all your life until someone opens a curtain to a field of colorful flowers.

Rocket League

I have heard such great things about this game. I love me some sports (I own most sports in video game form of some kind) and I've heard that Rocket League was great. I figured I'd give it a try eventually but I don't NEED to play it so if I end up missing out, big whoop. Past me is going to get a kick to the fun zone for denying present me more Rocket League. I am in love with this game.

So what is your THAT game? Was it some epic game but in a genre you didn't think you'd care for? Was it something completely out of left field that blindsided you? Was it a game that you had wanted for a long time but whether it was time or money, you just hadn't picked up until late? What is your Rocket League?
haha before I even got past the first sentence I was 90% sure you were going to say rocket league, the game sneaks up on *many* people.

Honestly, just wait until you get *good* at the game, and actually understand strategy and have good chemistry with some teammates, it gets exponentially more fun and you really appreciate the design of the game.

an odd choice, but FF:dissidia did this to me back when I first got a psp, I thought it'd be another spin off that I wouldn't care for..but holy hell I put over 120 hours into that game.

on pc, I remember mount and blade: warband doing that to me, usually sandbox games are boring as hell to me, and the game thrives on combat with little to no story...sounds like the worst game ever to me, but fuck did I love the shit out of it.