How did "Cynic" come to basically equal "Killjoy"?

Darksteel Mike

Mar 23, 2011
Well, basically what it says on the tin. I mean, to quote an easily edited/untrustable source (wikipedia,ofc): "Their philosophy was that the purpose of life was to live a life of Virtue in agreement with Nature."
"They believed that the world belonged equally to everyone, and that suffering was caused by false judgments of what was valuable and by the worthless customs and conventions which surrounded society."

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Because people on the Internet aren't terribly clever and want a word to describe their endless inexperienced yet incredibly presumptuous pessimism so they hijacked 'cynic'.
In a nutshell. The same goes for 'misanthrope'.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
When does "gay" come to basically equal "homosexual"?

Language change and evolve mate. Join the party :D

Darksteel Mike

Mar 23, 2011
Seems to me that wherever this began, they were actually looking for Nihilism, not Cynicism, but were put off by the big words, as I am also dangerously close to being. *Not a philosophy major, actually pulling my weight*

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
How did fascist come to basically equal controlling?

It's just people using words they've heard in wrong context. Sometimes it sticks and everyone starts doing it.

Farn

Aug 14, 2011
Generic Gamer said:
Because people on the Internet aren't terribly clever and want a word to describe their endless inexperienced yet incredibly presumptuous pessimism so they hijacked 'cynic'.
I didn't think they had the internet in the 19th century.

JB1528

Mar 17, 2009
"They believed that the world belonged equally to everyone, and that suffering was caused by false judgments of what was valuable and by the worthless customs and conventions which surrounded society."
Well shit even if my original definition of cynicism was wrong it looks like I was a cynic anyway.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Darksteel Mike said:
Seems to me that wherever this began, they were actually looking for Nihilism, not Cynicism, but were put off by the big words, as I am also dangerously close to being. *Not a philosophy major, actually pulling my weight*
I don't think it would be Nihilism, that's a whole other kettle of fish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
Basically someone who thinks "life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value"

Today if I called you a cynic I would mean you were focusing on all the bad things and always thinking about the worst case scenarios. That's much closer to pessimism than nihilism.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Generic Gamer said:
Yeah, sounds about right.

Also, being labelled a 'cynic' is what the cool kids are now doing these days.

Apr 28, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
Yeah, this. Plus a little bit of trying too hard to be cynics because apparently they think it's the cool thing to do.

Darksteel Mike

Mar 23, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
I don't think it would be Nihilism, that's a whole other kettle of fish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
Basically someone who thinks "life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value"

Today if I called you a cynic I would mean you were focusing on all the bad things and always thinking about the worst case scenarios. That's much closer to pessimism than nihilism.
I may have just gotten me own wires crossed there, yeah, pessimism is closer to the meaning as it is used today.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Darksteel Mike said:
How did "Cynic" come to basically equal "Killjoy"?
Basically? It didn't. Pessimists are killjoys. Cynics enjoy a realistic view of the world and don't like it when it turns sour.

Dec 27, 2010
Wow, I've learned from this thread that I'm two definitions of cynical, morally nihilistic and have a limited vocabulary! Philosophy is FUN!!!

Darksteel Mike

Mar 23, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Cynics enjoy a realistic view of the world and don't like it when it turns sour.
Where does that slot into the original philosophy "live a life of Virtue in agreement with Nature. Reject conventional desires for money,power and fame and a big middle finger to posessions in general."?

EDIT:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Wow, I've learned from this thread that I'm two definitions of cynical, morally nihilistic and have a limited vocabulary! Philosophy is FUN!!!
So you're a killjoy beggar who could argue that killing isn't inherently right or wrong and says so in not so big words. Cool. :)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Generic Gamer said:
I believe, too, that it is a general confusion of a "objective critique" and a "subjective opinion". Most people, in their attempt at making a review, will often just spew forth their opinions. Which are, of course, completely subjective. As such, most people view any persons review of something as opinion.

However, if by some miracle someone is able to create an objective critique of something, they are often seen as a "cynic". As if it were a bad word. This happens more often then not when someone points out flaws in something everyone else enjoys.

Of course, they could like it just as much as everyone else. God knows, there are plenty of things that are bad that I like and things that are good that I dislike. But there's the rub. It's easy to like or dislike something but it's hard to critique it based on its merits.