How did you choose your username?

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
I just thought the image of walking up to somebody wearing a bear suit, unzipping it and finding a rabid wolf inside who mauls you tickling. Also my first choice Two Bears High Fiving was too long. That's a reference to an encounter in Fallout: NV, Honest Hearts if you have the Wild Wasteland Trait. Tis all.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
I like Castlevania. There seem to be a lot of characters in that series who are just named "[something] Belmont".

So yeah.....

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
Mine is an Arrested Development reference. Been using it on various sites and forums for years and years now. Originally because "Mister F" was taken, so Mister Eff it was.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Bizzaro Stormy said:
I used to watch Sealab 2021. There should be more of a reason but there isn't.
That is an excellent show. And an excellent reason for a user name.

(Although, I'm more of a Marco man, myself.)

On topic...I'm a practicing Zen Buddhist (one day, I'll get it right!).

I'm also a guitarist/singer/songwriter and a jack of multiple weird trades (parkour, fencing, martial arts). With a little bit of magic user training, I qualify for a bard class character in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st Edition).

So yeah..."Zen Bard".

vector_zero

Mar 18, 2009
Not much to say about mine. It's a math thing.

If you are really interested you can check out a definition at:

http://mathinsight.org/zero_vector

GTMippey

Aug 17, 2013
I was playing a game of scrabble one day and the letters in my till were arranged to spell "GTMIPPEY".....
And I've loved it ever since.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
A long time ago, in the distant year of 2007, I was playing Halo 3 with some dudes at a church retreat.

While taking turns playing multiplayer, we somehow started saying the word "exponentially" to describe basically anything you could do in an FPS.

"I'm gonna snipe you, exponentially."

"I'm gonna run you over, exponentially."

"I'm gonna love you, exponentially." <- That's not a joke, one of us said that.

I eventually heard the inevitable "I'm gonna pwn you, exponentially," and I thought that was a pretty cool idea for a gamertag.

Ex-pwn-ential.

But Expwnential doesn't look right, so I eventually corrupted it into Xpwn3ntial.

About two years later, I used my single free name change on this site to change my name from 4thegreatergood (I was highly sleep deprived when I made my account so I couldn't remember Xpwn3ntial or think of anything better than what my desktop background at the time told me) to this, and I haven't looked back since.

Even if I had another free name change, I wouldn't use it.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Back when i joined i had a habit of stressing over a user name.
I spent about an hour or 2 think of it on or off, more likely ten minutes, walked away came back surfed red some lfg and decided.
Cleric's been my preferred class in dnd for a bit.
And of the order it matched my writings at the time (order of the blazing sky specifically).
So i took it.
the _ were me just being an idiot

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Mine is a little complicated. When I was about 12, I was attending a summer camp, and I befriended a girl over our mutual love for Naruto. She loved it so much that she decided to create her own OC, original character. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the OC, but I remember that it was wolf focused. She encouraged me to make one of my own. So, more or less, I did. I based a good portion of it off of hers, as I lacked vision back then, but I didn't have a name. But, fortunately for me, I was playing a little DS game called Spectrobes at the time, and one day while I was playing it, I realized that the main character's name was Rallen, which was similar to mine. So, I decided to adopt it as my own, and add a "y" to it to further make it my own unique little name. And, over time, I just used it in more and more things, as it was, surprisingly, a name that had rarely, if ever, been used before, and I decided to keep it. I'm not kidding. Look up Ryallen, and the first result is probably going to be me on another website. It's nuts!

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Zen Bard said:
On topic...I'm a practicing Zen Buddhist (one day, I'll get it right!).
Why zen.
If I'm not mistaken they have some of the most brutal practices(surviving), (perhaps it's another sub school but I do remember zen stories about masters killing students for incompetence).
which is odd from what I've been told Mah&#257;y&#257;na traditions tend to be lighter then Therav&#257;da.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Chose mine because it was a temporary gamer handle I'd used during a match of CS:S around the time I singed up for the site. The name was born out of an older handle and my opponents inability to kill me through the entirety of the match. (they'd get close, but never finish the job) That, and most or all of the other names I'd wanted were taken, and the alternate versions of my current name were also taken.

What kind of irks me, though, is that some of those alternatives are currently used by accounts that haven't been active for years. Some inactive for well over five years.

In all likelihood, the creators of those accounts have abandoned them, but because they haven't been cleared from the site's "registry", I'll never be able to make the changes I want to make.

Oh well.

[edit]
Actually, no. What really bugs me is that I'll try some of my preferred alternatives and I'll get a "name in use" error in return. Yet, when I search through the user profiles, I get zero returns for the same names.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Mine is about as boring as you can get, I'm afraid. Just a combination of two bands I really enjoy, Bathory and Graveland respectively. That's all there is to it. In hindsight I probably should have chosen something video game related instead, but BathorysGraveland is what I use for various different sites, so it was just convenient.
I thought it might have something to do with Elizabet Bathory, The Countess of Blood.Mine comes from My interest/love of mages. 2 reasons: 1. I usually (almost always) pick the Mage or Mage-equivalent in RPG. Why? Because Mages, and by definition, people with Magic or special abilities are cool. Also, because I find the debate of what someone like me, or anyone else in general, would do if they got special abilities. The whole "Would you use your new powers to do good or bad, and would you be a hero or villain?" debate. 2. Because I'm a gamer. (So, I put the two together. I also find the mental image of A Mage that's able to conjure abilities or things from games, be they weapons or what have you, to be really cool.)

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
ArcaneGamer said:
I thought it might have something to do with Elizabet Bathory, The Countess of Blood.
Well, as you might imagine, the Countess is where the band got the name from in the first place so you're still more or less correct.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
When I first created a email address account, I wanted it simple and easy to remember. My full name is John Arthur Zimmerman, and I was born on January 17. When other websites I registered to demanded a username, I, as much as possible, kept it going. At this point, it feels like a second name.I didn't care enough about Halo, then, to know about the similarity, which still holds true. Only reason I do know now is because at one point that info happened to be all over the internet.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
It's a bit of a long, convoluted story, but since you asked so nicely... :)

Several years ago, a few months before the release of Final Fantasy XIII, GameTrailers released a multipart retropspective of the entire FF series - it's really good too, check it out if you haven't seen it and you can find it in the incomprehensible mess that is GT's search system. The final episode of that retrospective was a review of the major recurring themes Final Fantasy stories have, and as the video put it, "how one could build a Final Fantasy from scratch". I thought it was a nice though experiment, and I had to fill a sketchbook with ideas and art for one of my college classes, so I wrote a small 60-something page design document for a Final Fantasy fan project, detailing the world concepts, lore, characters, plot, combat system, etc. I poured dozens of hours in that project and even though nothing will likely ever come out of it, it's very dear to me (and I got a prefect grade for it in school, too). Since then, whenever I can name a video game character, I name them after one of the playable characters of my FF project.

Fast forward to 2013, when Final Fantasy XIV comes out on PS3. Even though you can play all classes with a single character, I didn't know how long I'd be stuck with my starting class, and since the game allowed it for the first month, I created one character for each available class, naming each after the character who had the most similar class in my project, and used the character creation tool to recreate the face I drew for them in concept art. I had Damian Callis the Conjurer, Ophelia Aquino the Thaumaturge, Dirge Novak the Gladiator, Weylin Drako the Lancer, Maïte Madec the Arcanist, Karima Naifeh the Pugilist, Tanig Hinault the Archer and Leandro Roxas the Marauder. (Only eight classes meant I had to leave off the two remaining characters, Cassandra Sideris and Nadine Naifeh. Sadface.) I played each to level five and then picked my main character, which ended up being Dirge. Switching to the entry level subscription on month two meant I had to delete the other characters. I wish I had thought to take screenshots...

Then, at the beginning of last year, LoadingReadyRun started doing a lot of Twitch streaming and I had to create an account to interact with the chat. I was getting pretty tired of my old username (Kakulukia, a reference to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time), since I've hated Ubisoft for years and my username tied me to them, so I took the opportunity to change my online identity, and I thought Dirge was perfect. It doesn't really sound like a person's name even though it is, and it has deep personal meaning to me. So I changed my username on every site that allowed me, made new accounts for those that didn't - except for Steam and PSN, because Valve and Sony apparently hate us all - and I've been happier for it.

[small](And NO, it's not a reference to Dirge of Cerberus, I've never even played that game)[/small]

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I used to play Lacrosse, now I don't and I'm fat.

Living the dream.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I'm called C.J. IRL, or Siege (sea-jay minus the 'ay'), the Terran Fed was my fist clan on Starcraft, and I was notorious for my Siege Tank rushes. I don't recall my true first handle, but Siege_TF stuck and has been my handle since well before the turn of the millennium.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
When I came up with it, I was just looking for the most evil sounding username that sounds like an actual name.
I used it everywhere for a while, but these days I've been using a different one. (No, it's not "Frieza".)

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I've been using the same username or some variation of it ever since I first came up with it for my first email address.

Being a kid I wanted to have a name that I thought sounded "cool". My name is Daniel so in a fit of genius and originality I decided to call myself Dark Dan. Somehow this incredibly unique and surely un-heard of name was taken, I was heart broken at this cruel twist of fate but shortly after was hit another fit of genius and originality. I used that name backwards and so ended up with Dandark.

I've just been using that name ever since for any kind of username although sometimes with a number after it. I didn't notice it for the first few years but many people also see it as a reference to mandark from Dexters Laboratory.