How do I not suck at Metal Gear Solid?

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
I've only ever played actually Twin Snakes, on the Gamecube. I seem to have fond memories of it, so I bought the Metal Gear Solid HD Edition from Amazon. 'Maybe I could experience some more of the series', I thought, 'and have some fun'.

I sadly, the fun is severely hampered by one simple fact: I suck at Metal Gear Solid. I can't seem to play it right. My sneaking is inadequate. I hate how you have to run into each area blind and find the a 'turn on radar' terminal in MGS2, and radar is gone altogether in MGS3. I hate how once you're found, most of the time it's impossible for you to get away, or if you do you have to sit in a corner for two flow-breaking minutes before you can try again. But most of, I hate how I lack the patience and skill to enjoy this.

I am tearing my hair out in frustration here. What am I doing wrong? Perhaps I should just call it quits and play on very easy. (While we're at it, that's another thing. I already feel like a little ***** Kojima, there's no need to give me something called an EZ-Gun)

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Be more meticulous. When you enter a new area, find a hiding spot and observe guard movements for a couple of minutes before planning your way through. Just take your time.

Also, I often find that it's sometimes quicker to just get killed and start over rather than wait for the clock to run down.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Use the dart gun! In MGS2, especially, the thing is an instant knockout with a headshot, completely silent, and best of all if a guard finds his friend, he just wakes him up and you get a caution at worst.

In MGS3, use the camo. Its a pain to switch back and forth, I know, but even without radar the guards are basically blind. Its very easy to sit back and snipe them from outside their FOV, or even sneak right up on them for a take down with the right camo. Try to avoid killing as much as possible though, as it'll make a later boss fight a lot easier.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Ordinaryundone said:
Use the dart gun! In MGS2, especially, the thing is an instant knockout with a headshot, completely silent, and best of all if a guard finds his friend, he just wakes him up and you get a caution at worst.

In MGS3, use the camo. Its a pain to switch back and forth, I know, but even without radar the guards are basically blind. Its very easy to sit back and snipe them from outside their FOV, or even sneak right up on them for a take down with the right camo. Try to avoid killing as much as possible though, as it'll make a later boss fight a lot easier.
I love the dart gun. However, in MGS2 (once you actually start playing as Raiden) I can't find it.

Your advice is appreciated, though.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Also, there's nothing shameful about going through on the easiest setting first time. It can be a difficult game to get used to.

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
I got the HD collection yesterday, having only ever played Metal Gear Solid.
I've mainly be playing Snake Eater, which seems great as I'm getting more into it. What's annoying is being forced into a first person view sometimes when crawling in grass, I really lose my sense of position then :/

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Use first person mode to scout out areas before you proceed. Remember that in mgs2 and 3 (and twin snakes) you can hang over ledges to avoid guards.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Mantonio said:
I can't seem to play it right. My sneaking is inadequate. I hate how you have to run into each area blind and find the a 'turn on radar' terminal in MGS2, and radar is gone altogether in MGS3. I hate how once you're found, most of the time it's impossible for you to get away, or if you do you have to sit in a corner for two flow-breaking minutes before you can try again. But most of, I hate how I lack the patience and skill to enjoy this.
Corners, corners, corners. The corner peek-out is the most valuable skill to have in MGS2. Not just for finding the radar terminal, but for memorizing patrol patterns as well. I actually started sketching layouts of rooms on the Big Shell. Barring that, no one would think any less of you for turning the difficulty down on your first play-through just to memorize how the rooms are laid out. That doesn't change.

scnj said:
Also, there's nothing shameful about going through on the easiest setting first time. It can be a difficult game to get used to.
See?

Be careful though, while the rooms are the same, the patrols, as well as the location of certain items (like the M9) WILL BE in different places on different difficulty settings.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Mantonio said:
I love the dart gun. However, in MGS2 (once you actually start playing as Raiden) I can't find it.
It's in Strut F, the unlocked door on the second floor right as you enter coming from strut A if I remember right.

Try playing Peace Walker, it's really forgiving with the stealth and is like a hybrid between MGS 3 and the rest of the MGS games so it's good all around practice. It does spoil the whole of MGS 3's story though.

For MGS 2, make use of the AP sensor and first person view to peek around corners and over boxes and the like. The node is usually easy to spot, then it's just about planning your route to it. Also, never knock out/kill the guards that give radio updates because reinforcements will immediately investigate when the updates stop coming in.

For MGS 3, when in doubt, go prone. It's not very fun but you can literally spend the whole game on your belly. Just pick the appropriate camo for the area you're crawling on and move at a slow, steady pace. When you're camo at 90+ you can crawl right past most enemies even if you're just a few feet from them. A camo of at least 70 will get you past most enemies at mid-range. But I don't recommend moving if the index falls below 70. Either adjust your camouflage or find an alternate route.

Also if patience really isn't your thing then I recommend killing The End early. You get an Achievement/Trophy out of it and avoid a 1-2 hour long boss fight.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Mantonio said:
The real trouble is getting all the dog tags in MGS2, oh my lord is that shit tricky! Especially on places with loud floors.

Over all you can pretty much run through the game with little problem, if you want to play it all stealthy like you have to slow the fuck down, look around a lot and work out there routes.

There are sometimes passages and vents you can crawl through to hidden area's or round sections of guards.

If in doubt watch a guide on the net, xcal has just done MGS2 and is now on MGS3.

Also, might I recommend a modded controller that lets you turbo the triangle or Y? There is a sequence at the end of MGS4 that will make you cry from lactic acid ... you will have flash backs of track and field!

Jun 11, 2008
Can you let us know how you are actually attempting to play in OP? I could give random tips like tray acquire camo in MGS 3 and log into nodes in MGS 2 but all that won't be worth shit if you have a bad playstyle.

I'm sure you probably just need to be have more patience and act with a plan in mind. So ultimately that would be the best help so could you please give us a general idea of your play-style please.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Oh i just got the HD collection today, what are the chances? I kinda suck too though

I expect more bloodbaths as I continue through MGS2 and 3. Basically slaughtered my way through all the guards in the Tanker. I tried stealth! Honest!

Though the cutscenes are going to annoy me. "Oh i'll just wait for this cutscene to end, then i'll go and get a drink!"

And no drink was made that day...

The cutscenes go from awesome dramatic action to words, words, words, words, Metal Gear!

And the Game Over screen went from awesome to fail between Tanker and Plant, couldn't they leave it alone? Just change Snake to Raiden and go!

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The simplest (and wise-assiest) answer would be to not play because you can suck at what you don't play. You wont be good either, but you wont suck. Otherwise just keep practicing, maybe find some videos of people that are better than you at the game and see how they do it.

Dec 14, 2009
MGS2 sucks gameplay wise.

The camera angles are terrible and, apart from the few types of flooring, you can pretty much run right up to guys and neck them.

MGS3 is a much better game. Foosteps actually make noise (quick tip to people, you have to use the D-pad to sneak up behind people, it's called 'stalking', tilting the analog stick lightly won't have the same effect). The enemies can see further than 2 feet, and most importantly, you can control the camera.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:

Yea I wish someone warned me on my first play through. I killed every enemy I came across the jungle looked like a giant case of whip lash.

Took almost a half hour to get past sorrow.

OT: A bit of advice to help, avoid bullets to not die

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I had this problem in the first few hours of the collection. My advice is to learn the controls. Read the fuck out of that scanned in instruction manual on the menu, it's longer than the one in the case.

I didn't even know that if you're behind someone you could grab then if you're still, with no weapon, and press x/square, then you can choke then by spamming x/square - until about 5 hours in.

I am now pretty damn stealthy in MGS2, with the exception of times when Raiden insists on suddenly jumping out of corners. The first part I got seriously stuck on is during the part as Snake where a cutscene causes a corridor of guys to know where you are. Hiding behind cover trying to get kill shots AND they're throwing grenades??!?! KOJIMA YOU SADISTIC BASTARD!