How do I promote the game im apart of?

KICdude

May 29, 2012
Over the coarse of the last year or so, I have been working with a group to make the sounds for a video game. Yes you heard that correctly. I'M MAKING A VIDEO GAME. As of right now it is still unfinished we are near completion but by no means done.So right now I'm just trying to gather advice to see how I can get the game noticed or to get any type of recognition at all. Please let me hear all of your advice I'm really would like to learn how this process is done.

Resetti's_Replicas

Jan 18, 2010
Twitter is my best guess, make good use of existent hashtags and try to get your game's name trending. How much have you released to the public? It's going to be hard to drum up excitement without a trailer - gameplay footage would be good too.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
You need to build a professional looking website first. Then create social media pages for your game and use hashtags and facebook likes. Get on to steam greenlight and create a steam group. Anyone who makes a comment on your greenlight page invite them to your steam group and make regular announcements on progress using the group. Cross link your social media and steam pages to your website so comments appear on your website from other sources. Lastly put a link to your game in your profile.

KICdude

May 29, 2012
Resetti said:
Twitter is my best guess, make good use of existent hashtags and try to get your game's name trending. How much have you released to the public? It's going to be hard to drum up excitement without a trailer - gameplay footage would be good too.
Thank you for the advice. We don't want to spoil the game because the final art & music assets haven't been put in yet. however I did not think that would be thing we needed to do. and IDK about twitter does it help if you don't have a following?

KICdude

May 29, 2012
albino boo said:
You need to build a professional looking website first. Then create social media pages for your game and use hashtags and facebook likes. Get on to steam greenlight and create a steam group. Anyone who makes a comment on your greenlight page invite them to your steam group and make regular announcements on progress using the group. Cross link your social media and steam pages to your website so comments appear on your website from other sources. Lastly put a link to your game in your profile.
I would have never guessed a website, because that usually has complications of its own, but I see what you're saying and it makes sense. There is Steam and I do have an account. Does that include me into that greenlight community or do I have to start from bare bones there too?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
KICdude said:
albino boo said:
I would have never guessed a website, because that usually has complications of its own, but I see what you're saying and it makes sense. There is Steam and I do have an account. Does that include me into that greenlight community or do I have to start from bare bones there too?
heres about steam greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765&section=faq and here is worth a look http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765&section=tips

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Not asking you to soil the game, but what platforms is it on? Is it a free game or do you need to find costummers? etc.
Those things could make quite a difference

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Wait until it's done or nearly done. Most game projects end up as nothing more than a bunch of ideas that sounded great in the pub, some concept art, and a few lines of code (if that). Not saying that your venture will end up failing, but failure is the norm in indie development, so wait until your product is coming to fruition or people may discount it as just another pipe dream.

A website is a good idea, plenty of free website hosts out there, or even professional hosting with your own domain name can be fairly inexpensive. Also consider building a fanpage on Facebook, etc. Build links through word of mouth, social media, youtube, etc.

Good luck!