how do I tell my girlfriend I play videogames and how get her to enjoy them with me

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
Dylan Bonnett said:
I found a new girlfriend (yay) sadly she doesn't videogames (crap).Thruogh she's nuetral on the subject gaming is a BIG part of my life and I want her to be a part of it.So simply answer the questions above and hopefully i'll have a girlfriend next week.
brainwashing.

works every time.

TriggerOnly

Oct 18, 2010
Dylan Bonnett said:
I found a new girlfriend (yay) sadly she doesn't videogames (crap).Thruogh she's nuetral on the subject gaming is a BIG part of my life and I want her to be a part of it.So simply answer the questions above and hopefully i'll have a girlfriend next week.
Let me just say NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Fool man! you do not want her spending your chill "me" time with you. Space is a good thing, do you really want her interrupting that ? even if you dig the chick a lot, its your hobby man.

Not every one thinks the same why I do (so don't try that on me) but I would advise you think about this before you start shooting her in the face !

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Dylan Bonnett said:
Find easier games to play? As other people have pointed out elsewhere, trying to get someone into gaming via COD:BLOPS is usually a bad idea because it's pretty intensive.

Also, I would get ready to dial back your gaming slightly. If your girlfriend doesn't play games and she perceives you valuing video games more than her, she'll probably dump you.

TriggerOnly said:
Fool man! you do not want her spending your chill "me" time with you. Space is a good thing, do you really want her interrupting that ? even if you dig the chick a lot, its your hobby man.
There's some logic in that -- people need seperate time and alone time, etc.

However, if games are your "alone" time and you game for 3 hours a day every day, your lady friend might start to feel under appreciated.

That's my experience with it at least.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Considering that like 90% of males from 18-30 game to some degree, it shouldn't be a surprise. Bonus points if you aren't a CoD addict like 75% of the aforementioned group is.

Jibblejab

Apr 14, 2009
I play games, my girlfriend isnt into them so i just dont mention them around her. I play them when i'm on my own but I just forget them when im with her.

Whats so many peoples issues with dating people and games? It's a hobby not a lifestyle.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Jibblejab said:
I play games, my girlfriend isnt into them so i just dont mention them around her. I play them when i'm on my own but I just forget them when im with her.

Whats so many peoples issues with dating people and games? It's a hobby not a lifestyle.
I think because a stigma still exists that playing video games is seen as childish and immature.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
If you make a big deal out of it it just makes the hobby look weird. No, even moreso, it makes YOU look weird for not being comfortable with what you enjoy. If you try to break it to her like, "So I...uh...I play videogames..." you'll only look like a tool.

If it bothers her in some way she probably isn't worth your time.

Jibblejab

Apr 14, 2009
Flare Phoenix said:
Jibblejab said:

I think because a stigma still exists that playing video games is seen as childish and immature.
Okay i think my last statement was abit too vague and easily misinterpreted.

What i meant is what so many gamers issues with dating people and games? Why does the fact that you play games or that someone else doesnt make a difference?

My girlfriend plays hockey, i dont, i dont really understand it but its her thing so whatever. I do karate and kung fu thats my thing.

Just because you have a hobby doesnt mean that you have to impose it on someone else.

Ive seen threads where people are saying they wouldnt date a girl who doesnt play games? That in my eyes is really petty and immature.

vingtcinq

Sep 7, 2010
"I play video games. Want to play X game with me? I think maybe you'll like it..."
There's no point beating around the bush with a person with whom you'll be spending a lot of time with and opening up to.

Portal 2 Co-op might go well.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Look at it this way, OP:

You could share your major interest and not force her into it, and she'll share whatever her major interest is and not force you into it either. For all you know she may love going to watch love movies all day and hasn't forced you to either yet (example, maybe different). So just tell her about it, and let her decide if she wants to be a part of it.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
1) Proof reading is an important skill. You are not an Emperor and thus not above grammar.
2) If you have a PS3 see if she likes Little Big Planet. Did she play pokémon or some other handheld game? Try Kinect games with her, most of the games are good places to start for beginners. I would talk about Wii games, but really just cover your eyes and pick a title.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Just tell her you play video games but of course it's only fair that you do things she like, it's a 'meet them half way' situation but as for her 1st games mario kart and portal 2 (I say it over one because the humour is better and all the lvls are quite different as aposed to portal 1 which had a kinda repeatative look to all the test chambers)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Woodsey said:
This might sound crazy, but you could just not let the gaming become such a massive thing that you consider it a lifestyle choice.

This may also be sound advice for some of the other people on this site.
QFT. It's a hobby, not a second girlfriend.

That said, OP, how on earth did you get to the point that the girl can be considered a girlfriend without her knowing that you play games? Even with people who aren't overly obsessed with games, it's something that tends to get mentioned during the "getting to know you" stage. Honesty is the best policy, here.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Woodsey said:
This might sound crazy, but you could just not let the gaming become such a massive thing that you consider it a lifestyle choice.

This may also be sound advice for some of the other people on this site.
QFT. It's a hobby, not a second girlfriend.

That said, OP, how on earth did you get to the point that the girl can be considered a girlfriend without her knowing that you play games? Even with people who aren't overly obsessed with games, it's something that tends to get mentioned during the "getting to know you" stage. Honesty is the best policy, here.
I'm slightly more curious how he found out she doesn't play video games and is neutral on the subject without it getting revealed he does play video games.

I mean really, OP, you have a girlfriend who doesn't play video games. I feel so bad for you... Would you like a hug? (Wow I'm getting cranky... I should log off and head to bed)

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Uhh just tell her? If she's not a **** she won't care. Most girls don't.

As for getting her to play them, don't push it. If she doesn't want to, don't force her.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
She doesn't HAVE to game with you. It's not that important.

But if you insist then start with co-op games. The first game I played with my girlfriend was Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and she quite enjoyed it. Afterwards she felt like being competitive so we moved onto Marvel vs Capcom 3 aaaaaand she annihilated one of my characters with a furious ground combo chain from Amaterasu.

I feel like she may be hiding something from me. >_>