How do people stay thin?

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Zetion said:
Yeah. I cut out soda and processed carbs and the weight melted right off. You'd be surprised OP.
Processed car
Zetion said:
Yeah. I cut out soda and processed carbs and the weight melted right off. You'd be surprised OP.
Yeah try your best to cut out processed carbs. They are just about the worst thing for any diet and EVERYTHING in my school lunch is based on them. It's a real pain to make lunch every day but this thread has inspired me to do it again especially since my schools lunch is really F****** up my...well...let's just say i need some Activia right about now.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, I'm pretty sympathetic to people that have trouble losing weight. I've always been way too skinny, and there was a time where I ate McDonalds for dinner every night. People tell me it's just metabolism, and it might be true. Back then all I did was sleep and sit on my computer. Now I try to work out, but it's different strokes for different strokes. All I can say is keep at it, I'm always hella impressed by people that manage to lose weight without having some magic black hole metabolism.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
It's simple, three square meals a day, appropriate to your metabolism and various bodily requirements, which are of moderate portion size... or as it can be simply put "it's not what you eat, so much as how much you eat".

My personal thing for weight loss is cycling to college.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
I'm usually a pretty slim guy, managed to keep a good shape. Uni happened and a beer gut began to appear. Best way I found, less snacks, less carbs (pasta was a regular) and more exersise. Running, pushups etc.

Just dream for it. Make a wish board.

doggie135

Feb 2, 2011
I'm 5'11 and have gone over the past two months from 200+ pounds (not saying in specific) to 174 just by cutting out snacks, fast-food, and lowering portion size.

Simply put, from nearly obese (BMI of 29.0-29.9) to 'normal' (BMI of -25.0).

These might not be all accurate as I do use the Metric system, but it's still something to note :)

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Find out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Mayo Clinic has a calculator [http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598] that can help you approximate this information. In order to lose one pound per week, consume 500 fewer calories. To lose two pounds per week, consume 1000 fewer calories. However, assuming you are male, then you should be consuming no fewer than 1800 calories per day. Additionally, it is considered to be unsafe and ineffective to lose more than two pounds per week, or eight pounds per month.

It is important to think in terms of lifestyle changes, not temporary dieting efforts. In other words, if there are certain foods you really enjoy, continue to enjoy them, however, do so in moderation (i.e. they should, generally speaking, fit into your calorie budget). Do what you enjoy doing and use food as a means to keep you going through the day. Long-term consistency will yield long-term results.

If you would like to eat more and continue to lose wight, then you can always exercise. However, be careful that you do not overestimate the amount of calories you are burning with your routine. Walking is a great low-impact exercise, but running burns more calories in a shorter period of time as it is less efficient. Just make sure that you pick something that you actually enjoy doing. Remember, it should be something that you can see yourself doing for years to come. If exercising is not really your thing, then that is fine (although, for the sake of your heart, you might at least want to consider the occasional walk or swim), so long as the numbers (i.e. calories consumed) are consistent and within the range of your goal.

Avoid attaching food to any specific time of day. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you start to feel full. Also keep an eye on serving sizes, which are very often smaller than one might like for them to be (ex: a serving of ice cream is only 1/2 cup). Make sure that each of your meals balances fat, protein, fiber, etc. to keep you full in between meals.

Good luck!

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
x EvilErmine x said:
^^^ That and the fact that they probably skip some meals, as long as you get enough vitamins and minerals then you actually don't need the calories that three meals a day provide.
A lot of people do this, myself included. It's by no means the healthiest thing but I'll eat mid day and just snack here and there.

Rotting Corpse

Aug 24, 2010
Kytseo said:
I've wanted to lose weight for a while now, and I have tried nearly everything (except diet pills and starving, I have my standards). The weird thing is that quite a few people I know tend to stay thin despite regularly eating burger king and such. I know some of them do work out, but some (like my girlfriend) somehow can stay thin without working out and despite apparently eating a lot (hell, I'm in much worse shape than my girlfriend, yet I have an easier time walking, thank you Mini-Boot Camp). I gotta ask, when it comes to those people, what's their secret?
A high metabolism.

Also, try watching a response movie to Super Size Me called Fat Head. It's very low budget, but the science is all there. The guy eats nothing but McDonald's for a month and loses weight. He shows how Morgan Spurlock basically faked everything about Super Size Me.

adragonofgold

Mar 18, 2010
Metabolism has alot to do with it. Im 5'11 and under 130. Body fat % is 9.5. I dont work out and dont watch what I eat. But I dont eat out at all. Ive also been the same weight since high school. Roughly 20 years ago. So yeah.. metabolism has alot to do with it.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Rotting Corpse said:
Also, try watching a response movie to Super Size Me called Fat Head. It's very low budget, but the science is all there. The guy eats nothing but McDonald's for a month and loses weight. He shows how Morgan Spurlock basically faked everything about Super Size Me.
I was actually going to recommend Fathead as well, because the old logic of simply tracking calories in vs out and following the USDA nutrition guidelines is garbage. The former is only a portion of the story, and the latter are an outright lie.

So checkout Fathead. Also, here's a quickstart guide that lays out a plan for effective, healthy weight loss very simply: http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/thePaleoSolution_QuickStart.pdf

Even if you just start by cutting out sugar, wheat (breads and grains, yes, even whole wheat varieties), and processed foods, you will lose body fat, and feel a hell of a lot better.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Heroine, cocaine and methamphetamine. Really, it works.

seriously though, I just have a fast metabolism (or something), I eat like a godam bear but I'm still super skinny. I'm underweight, actually, by about 15-20 pounds, so it's a curse as well as a blessing.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
Fast metabolism and doing one hell of a workout three times a week. I do a bootcamp-grade exercise called the Terminator and 40 mins of core pilates.

Dr Druza

Sep 24, 2010
Fast motabolisim. I'm skinny (6ft and 120lbs) but pretty darn unhealthy. Mostly cause I do little exercise other than walking. Skinny =/= fit.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Zetion said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Zetion said:
Processed car
Zetion said:
Yeah try your best to cut out processed carbs. They are just about the worst thing for any diet and EVERYTHING in my school lunch is based on them. It's a real pain to make lunch every day but this thread has inspired me to do it again especially since my schools lunch is really F****** up my...well...let's just say i need some Activia right about now.
I just drink two-three milks. 300-450 calories and 24g of protein. And it costs less to boot.
Hmm...Half a PB&J with two milks sounds like a decent lunch. Then I can have the other piece after or maybe right before practice. Thanks!

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Your friends who can eat what they want are lucky. I'm like you as well. I have to work out 5 times a week for 2 hours and even then I'm still 20 pounds heavier than where I want to be (I'm at the high spectrum of a healthy weight for my height and age so I'd rather be in the low spectrum if I can help it)

Don't try to go for unrealistic goals though. I remember even as a kid I had thighs that touched. I was a STICK, but my thighs never had space between. So I don't expect to ever be one of those thinspo girls 5 inches of nothing between their thighs because I was never like that even when I was a kid and had a faster metabolism and ran around a lot more.

Just keep exercising and try to do short bouts of cardio. No tread mill shit unless it's for just 5 minutes straight (running, not walking) and then go back to weights. Then after a while, do another short but hard burst of cardio.

Also, whatever you do, don't avoid things like fat, carbs, butter, etc. If you make a baked potato, feel free to stick some butter on that *****. Our bodies need those fats and oils and depriving them of it will not help you lose weight in a healthy manner.

What you WANT to avoid is processed and fast food. I recommend picking up a cook book or even learning to make some fast simple meals on the stove. I am addicted to my rice cooker (Rice in 30 minutes and I add whatever flavorings and veggies I want to that) for meals and rice is really damn cheap in bulk...also pretty much keeps for a long ass time (pasta as well)

Anyway, that's my recommendation. Hope it helped!

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
The trick to losing weight is eating only when you're hungry and stopping when you're full. You gain extra weight when you eat just for the sake of eating. If you've had enough to feel content, don't eat more just because it's on your plate, or don't grab more just because someone else is telling you to. When you aren't hungry, don't eat. You'll lose weight fast. Sounds simple, but it's tricky at first.

Another method is to snack throughout the entire day rather than having large meals. You won't feel like you need to eat a ton of food at once to feel full, so you'll end up eating less overall.