How do ya shave?

seventy two

Mar 7, 2011
Currently I have no real reason to shave daily, so I leave it for a few until it gets scratchy. I then use a beard trimmer to take it back to stubble. I then will use a a disposable razor to clean it up if I have reason to. I do shave my mustache almost daily though, it looks terrible otherwise.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
Used to hate shaving since I have relatively thick facial hair. I'd spend so much money on those fusion proglides and whatnot, which are really only good for the first shave. After that they'd do more tugging at my beard than actual cutting.
I got one of those safety razors recently at the recommendation of a friend. It was miles better; I actually enjoy shaving now. Yea the initial cost is high but blades are so cheap I could use a new one every shave and be spending about 1% the amount I would on cartridges or disposables. Also I stopped breaking out after every shave, which was great.
I prefer a little bit of stubble just because being clean shaven makes me look like a baby. I usually end up shaving every 3 or 4 days.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Lies! Nobody enjoys shaving, either you eschew it all together and have a beard, or you have a clean-shaven face, no one likes the in-between bit.

I do however use an electric trimmer to keep my beard neat, and ladies disposable razors for any delicate cutting in. Seriously, those things are fucking miles better, they give you a cleaner, smoother and gentler shave than mens.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I shave with hot tar and the sharpened scapulae of my enemies, or an electric shaver if you want to get into specifics. I generally shave when what hair I have starts looking scruffy. At the very least, it doesn't look like someone grafted a scrotum to my chin like some people I know.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I don't, unless I'm wearing a sleeveless top or I'm forced into a skirt/dress for a special occasion. And even then I'd be more likely to wear leggings of some kind to avoid shaving my legs. Fuck that shit, man.

But on the occasions I do remove body hair, I use a safety razor.

EDIT: Or a pair of tweezers. I'm weird, I sometimes sit and tweeze hair off my lower legs when I'm bored or my eyes and ears are busy watching a movie and my hands need something to do.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I don't really have much facial hair, but I still enjoy a good shave. Used an electric for years, then finally tried proper wetshaving with a safety razor, and I'm not going back anytime soon. Takes a while longer though, so I do go longer between shaves now if there's nothing specific I need to be shaved for.

Taking the time to do a proper shave and finishing off with something that doesn't ruin my face(for some reason aftershave with alcohol is the norm, despite the fact that it just makes your skin worse) is a nice and calming ritual. So yeah, I do actually enjoy shaving.

HvD

Lord of Dragons
Apr 16, 2009
In winter I don't shave, I need my beard to stay warm. When it warms up though I shave wet with an old butterfly Schick single blade double edge razor using Feather blades. To those who find shaving painful, you're doing it wrong or you are using the wrong type of razor/shaver for your face/legs/etc.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
JoJo said:
Electric shaver for me, but only occasionally since I maintain a beard, which I also use an electric beard trimmer to keep neat. Much more convenient than razors, which I've sometimes used and found annoying.
Me too!

I grew my goatee thing (it's in my profile pic) just so I could avoid shaving a bit more :D

I've got two electric razors; a traditional one (for clean shaven) and a beard trimmer with a bunch of attachments for whenever I'm feeling creative with my face. I can get away without shaving for a few days and without trimming for a week or two.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I've just noticed your avatar blinks.

OT: I've recently decided to maintain a pretty classic beard/mustache combo with little on the neck or cheeks. I just trim the excess areas down to stubble with a trimmer though, because trying to get it smooth irritates my skin and makes it itchy for days.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
I am probably the most terrible shaver in the world. I used to use a normal razor, but I constantly cut myself since my skin can be pimply at times. Then I switched to the electric razor and the bleeding stopped. But I'm really bad at using it, so I have to use the trimmer on it to kind of shave of most of my facial hair. And finish it off with the normal head. Kinda leaves my skin irritated, but that's the only way it works, really. Maybe one day I'll learn to shave less crappily

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
I use a straight edge that I grip with my fingers. It's rather dangerous (I've had lacerations that require stitches three times in my life) but the advantage is that I don't need to use shaving creams. A bit of cold water is enough to set me up for the cuts.
I generally prefer facial hair to be 'on' but I cannot stand neckbeards. I shave that part of my head every week with a vengeance. And hope I don't slice open my carotids...

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Catfood220 said:
mrvenom said:
Let us bask in the glory which is shaving..
Glory? As a 34 year old man who has been shaving since he was 14, shaving is a massive pain in the arse. I hate shaving with the passion of a million burning suns.

Other than that, I shave every 4 days, any more and it is sore and unpleasant and becomes more like self harm than personal hygiene despite using every balm and potion for pre-shaving and post shaving ever. So why don't I grow it out? Because well, its itchy and despite people telling me that it wears off, I tried growing my beard for a fortnight once and it drove me nuts. Plus I get this dry flaky skin on my chin if I leave it for too long.

As for shaving, I just use a Gillette safety razor thing. Its quick and easy and I'm not likely to slice my own throat open like I would if I tried shaving with a cutthroat razor when I'm hungover.
If wet-shaving is unpleasant to you, chances are you're doing it wrong. As for HOW you're doing it wrong - well, I can't really tell from the description, so I'll just throw you a few of my personal tips and see if any of them stick.

(Incidentally, the following also works as my answer to the original topic! Yay, I'm multitasking!)

I think the most important part of a wet shave is a good lather, made in the traditional soap-and-brush manner rather than squeezed out of a spray can or tube. You'll want a thick lather, like whipped cream. If the stuff sticks to your face without dripping or sliding off, you know you're on the right track! Remember to apply the lather in circular motions. This lifts the stubble and makes it more susceptible to the razor. Oh, and you should use really hot water. As in, a couple of degrees below scalding temperature. If this still doesn't soften your stubble, try leaving the foam on your face for about a minute.

Another thing to remember is that it's generally considered bad to shave 'against the grain'. The 'grain' in this sense refers to the direction in which your stubble leans. In most cases, stubble generally tends to lean slightly downwards, so shaving from bottom to top is more likely to cause razor burn, ingrown hair and other unpleasantness. Personally, I shave my face three times: Once from top to bottom, once from right to left, and once from left to right.

Finally, you need to replace your blade every so often. Possibly more often than you're doing now. A fresh blade is of the outmost importance, so it's better to throw it out too soon.

Oh, and you ARE using the classic, single-bladed type of safety razor, aren't you? Those multibladed 'mach' - abominations are best avoided. Thing is, while it IS a good idea to go over your face more than once, the manufacturers of multibladed disposables have failed to realize that the point is to shave in a DIFFERENT direction each time, as I have described above.

Also, even more importantly, the lather is not only there to soften up the stubble - it also serves the indispensable purpose of lubricating your skin to protect it from the razor. Therefore, you need to apply a fresh layer of lather BETWEEN each pass of the razor. Now, how the heck are you supposed to do that with a 'mach' - type?

Hope some of this helps. Good luck!

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I shave every week day as it is required for my job. I wet shave with an old school safety razor. I prefer doing it this way as it gives a close shave and I make my own lather from soap as it's better for my skin. I don't mind shaving as every time I do, it's a chance to improve the whole process (finding the right angle, pressure and speed for the razor, making the right consistency of lather etc)

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Everything about how I shave is contained in this helpful educational video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZB8HRrJ0KM

That said, I won't be able to keep the same outlook on shaving in a month's time when I start military service. ¬_¬

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Monthly, for starters. Or longer. To hell with even considering shaving on a daily basis.

Often I'll go several months without then either decide I'm looking to scruffy and take it off outright, or attempt to trim it, fail miserably and take it off anyways.

And even then, none of that 'clean shaven' business. I use a standard electric razer one would use for head-hair and just buzz it down as low as it'll go and leave it at that.

If it's a a rare special occasion and I do opt for a complete shave, it's soap and a simple disposable razor.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I like having a beard, however my beard is a slow developer, wherein my cheeks get a bit fluffy and my 'tache doesn't quite join the beard. I also have a couple of moles on my face which grow out like the black forest.

So what I do is steam my face with an almost scalding temperature flannel, then whip a wet razor round the scratty bits. The rest is zapped back to a sensible length with an electric trimmer.

Viola, neat trimmed beard in less than 5 minutes.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
Female here. I use a disposable razor myself. I've tried lady-tailored ones, but I can't stand the pivoting head - doesn't seem like it stays where I want it to, and I definitely don't feel like I'm getting a close shave.

I just do it all up in the shower under hot water, takes about a minute total. Also, this is probably some travesty of hygiene, but I find disposable razors last FOREVER if you dry the blade after showering to prevent rust. I've yet to have one that got too dull to use.

Please though, someone explain to me if I'm doing something horribly wrong. I will say I absolutely HATE shaving my lady bits, as I've yet to go through the process once without a whole wack of ingrown hairs. (That's shaving with the grain). I've also been told conditioner works as an amazing shaving cream substitute but still, my downstairs hates razors.