How do you cope with death?

Grumbles92

Oct 1, 2010
elementsoul said:
Grumbles92 said:
elementsoul said:
Grumbles92 said:
Jesus Christ! No reason to take your short-comings out on me. Not my problem you wasted your life.
You really need to start quoting people so we can tell who you are talking to.
I was talking to you.
Then that makes this easy. I see no problems with my short comings so I'm not taking them out on anybody as there's no reason to. Personally I except death, I don't strive to cling on to life, I decided to live a life that won't be remembered let alone be remembered for anything important, and I want to be lost to history.

I could rip into your first post if you want, but unless you request it I have better things to do than point out all your short comings from that single post.
It's completely up to you. I don't care to hear anything from a bitter lemon-head who's easily angered.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
As an equally religious and scientific man, I see death as a transition and a chance to go and explore. That said, I'm in no hurry to die.

satsujinka

May 2, 2010
Death? Death is fairly easy to cope with. You die.
Life on the other hand. That's the one that makes or breaks you.

Anyways, I've always found a dose of nihilism to be healthy. Certainly I've become much happier as a result of becoming nihilistic.

shurryy

Nov 7, 2010
Funny... Lately I've been thinking about Death quite a deal myself.

However I came to a conclusion of my thoughts by trying to put myself in the boots of a dead person, a sort of attempt to imagine death and what it would be like.

My Conclusion:
I couldn't imagine anything else than a braindead state.
Really I don't think there is anything to it.

You die.
You lose connection with life and all things bound to it, including TIME.
You won't realize that time is passing, because your brain is dead like your heart and the rest of your flesh.
You will not feel anything nor know that you are rotting away.
You will simply cease to exist, and only exist by traces you left behind.

About the traces thing I am myself planning to buy a golden watch and pass it on to someone in my family before I die, AND I am going to tell THEM to pass it on to THEIR offsprings like I did. And tell them to tell their offsprings that they have to pass it on to THEIR offsprings. ETC.

As for dealing with the time I've got left:

I have NO intention to DIE just yet. There are so many games and films I want to watch, and so many things I want to do before I die. That's what makes my life enjoyable, the constant evolution of Humanity and technology, I am especially hoping to experience the first TELEPORTATION of a human being.
Ofcourse I won't exclude my friends from the list of "How to enjoy life."

My twenty cents to the topic. Cheers from Norway!

elementsoul

Aug 28, 2009
Grumbles92 said:
It's completely up to you. I don't care to hear anything from a bitter lemon-head who's easily angered.
*Laughs like he just heard a great joke* That's a good one. Me being angered easily. Coupled with the fact that you thought I was even angry in a possible sense or that fact that I feel any emotions. *laughs again* Who calls someone a bitter lemon-head? Seriously? What are you thirteen? I'm gone.

Grumbles92

Oct 1, 2010
elementsoul said:
Grumbles92 said:
*Laughs like he just heard a great joke* That's a good one. Me being angered easily. Coupled with the fact that you thought I was even angry in a possible sense or that fact that I feel any emotions. *laughs again* Who calls someone a bitter lemon-head? Seriously? What are you thirteen? I'm gone.
Sorry, I meant you're a dumbass fucking twit. :D, dumbass.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Grumbles92 said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, each one of us is a ?star in the universe? and ?death is just like being unborn again?.

Anyway, I was wondering how other people deal with death. You can suggest positive ways to look at all this, but what would be most helpful is priori proof of an afterlife.
I do not agree with those statements, nor do I know what they mean. Life and death happen. No way to stop them. You may as well not worry about it and enjoy the transition. All you do worrying about it is get stress which makes you life worse which there is no point in(since it is your only one). To quote Jonathon Coulton: "Enjoy yourself, do the things that matter 'cause there isn?t time and space to do it all. Love the things you try, drink a cocktail, where a tie, show a little grace if you should fall".

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
I'm intrigued to find out what happens, not to the extent that I'd want to kill myself though.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I get in these moods sometimes when I just can't stop thinking about and it freaks me right out so yeah I get what you're saying. The way I deal with it is I try to live life to the fullest. Find what you want and go for it, if it doesn't all work out hey at least it took your mind off it.

As for coping with others dying, that I'm not so good at. I've lost people and I don't think I ever 'got over it' but rather I just tried to ignore the feeling which probably isn't good. I know that if I ever lost my boyfriend I'd be an absolute wreck.

randomID

Dec 29, 2008
Fear of death? I rather fear the time when my body and mind slowly deteriorate aka old age. That really scares me.
But Death? Bah. You will never have to get up and go to work, again. Chances are, you will never get up =D. You'll never have your heart broken, nor will you feel lonely. You will enter a state of eternal equilibrium and tranquility. Eternity always sounds like a too long timespan to me. But rejoice, in death you won't care a bit. Boredom and pain (by pain I mean both physical and mental) won't bother you anymore.
So, yeah, what I want to say is kinda: "when your finally done with life, an eternal tranquility, where suffering is unknown to you, will await."

Boy do I sound negative these days. xD

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
For me, coping with death involves simply living life. Like you, OP, I don't believe in an afterlife. And I don't want to. I'm quite happy to not exist. Well, not entirely. But it's definitely preferable to living forever. I want to die at the right time - that is, at a time when I know that I have lived as much of life as I can, and that I haven't wasted too much time on the unnecessary things.

There's nothing wrong with being afraid to die. It seems quite a natural fear. But if you let that fear get in the way of living, then that's not going to improve things. I'd much rather die young, having lived a fulfilling life, than live forever, avoiding death but avoiding all risks and excitement and all the things that remind us that we are actually alive, rather than just existing. I think there's a Simpsons episode about this.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
I burrow down, let it sit and deal with it silently, I'm still not sure if I've gotten over the death of a close family friend a few years ago, I still expect to hear his voice on the other end of the phone when I pick up sometimes.

As for fear of death...well, I don't think I was born with it, I know you're naturally supposed to try and avoid death at all costs but I've often thought of my own demise and it never really bothered me. Perhaps it was the massive depression in my teens that had me let go of the fear, perhaps it's that I haven't really attached myself to anything 'worth' fearing death over yet, my responsibilities are limited and not all that many people depend on my existence, so I just don't see the point in worrying about it. Sure, my friends and family would be sad, but the most I can see coming of that would be they name a kid after me, but how sad is that? A constant reminder that your brother/friend died years and years ago walking around the living room? Nope, I'm pretty solid in my commitment to being burnt on my funeral pyre and being forgotten. I'd rather a celebration of life than a mourning of death.