How do you deal with loading times?

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
I don't really know. I usually play games with a remarkably short load time (DS, GBA, other cartridge games or freeware). Whenever I do encounter a load screen, I find myself either reading the exposition on the screen (as in Rouge Galaxy) or just switching to the TV channels.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
mrhappyface said:
Ever since the dawn of gaming, every player has had the foe that did not test their hp or their skill with weapons, but attacked a much more vital part of you: Your patience. This is called the loading screen. Whether you're praying that Fallout 3 or Crysis will not fail on you for the billionth time, or just simply trying not to lose your sanity looking at the You Died Screen on Demon's Souls or Ninja Gaiden; we all have a different way of coping with the wait. I ususally put Family Guy and South Park on a portable DVD player next to my PC or on the coffee table and press play whenever a loading screen comes up. What do you people do?
Have a wank

I kid i kid

I have my laptop on so i can listen to music or go on the escapist.

Or EAT MA SKITTLES!!!

I love skittles.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
If it's Fallout 3, then I look at the pictures in the background. But usually I don't do anything because the loading screens aren't that long.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Radeonx said:
Neonbob said:
Recently, I've played my PSP.
Hooray for not being willing to go without entertainment for a minute or two.
^_^
I do that, except I just continue in my never ending Peggle game.
It's been open for 23 days straight, and I'm almost done.
And I only play during load times.
...new vow:
I will never play Peggle.
It seems to have some kind of addictive effect.
I cannot afford to have another addiction.
X-D

Eatspeeple

Jun 18, 2009
Stare at the compulsory spinning graphic. Round and round and round. Maybe watch the loading bar and guess how long it will take to finish. Round and round. eeeeeee

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Oh, I have all sorts of superstitions about loading screens. I'm so OCD about it. Like, when I'm trying to load a Total War battle, I think it's good luck to have my cursor poised right at the edge of the current progress. Part of me believes it makes it load faster. On Xbox 360 and PS2 my superstition is that rotating my right analogue stick clockwise will make it load faster. Not necessarily true, but there are some games where doing that animates the screen - like in this DBZ game, it made Roshi fly around the screen. =D

Kleiner

Apr 15, 2009
I have this thing I must do, and that is throwing something up in the air and then catch it. For the moment I'm throwing a knife around.. And yes, I have cut my hand a couple of times, but heck, why not :D

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
By not listening to the looping conversations or news reels while standing in the elevators on citadel station. then listen to an Opeth epic.

Or two.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
I do lots of things:
-Read the manual (sometimes anyway)
-Have a bit of something to eat
-Take a piss
-Contemplate the meaning of life
-Break things
-Think about random stuff

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I tend to use the loading screen to either.
-Click the controller buttons in random orders like it does something to speed the process up.
-Try rattle off a quick text message/read one I recieved whilst playing.
-Eat/drink.
-Consider that my xbox may have frozen again on me and I'll be there forever.
-Stare blankly and wait

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
read the instruction manual. some screens take so long I can read the entire book by the time they finish.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Grabbing a nearby snack, or sipping from a nearby drink. It's not like loading times take 5 minutes or something...

Also, just talk with the other people in the room if it's a multiplayer game, naturally.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
I play a little game by myself called close eyes open eyes until loading screen was done loading
that or just walk out and get something to drink or eat in the kitchen

C.O.C

Aug 5, 2009
Full on fidgeting I mean tap dancing monkey jumping fidgeting awesomeness!!!

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
When i go into games with loading times, I tend to have my DS on standby. Its a weird experience raising Pinatas on the DS in between blowing Super Mutant heads apart.