How do you deal with wasps in your house?

FatesVagrant

Aug 13, 2017
I just catch them with a cup and piece of paper then toss them outside. You put the cup over them, then slide the cup over a piece of paper to cover it so they can't get out. That might be difficult for you to do if you have a phobia though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't. The wasps that live around here are very chill and don't bug you unless you literally start to poke their nest.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
Wait until they're not moving too much and vacuum the fuckers.
It's easy and safe.
Also works on other flying stuff.

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
wasp and hornet spray can help, home defence spray around the windows and eaves can help. if all else fails I find the vacuum cleaner is the best bet. mine has a nice long extender wand that will get them even in the top of most of my windows and I have on occasion been able to get them out of the air. Depends on your reflexes really but getting them out of the window or off the wall or floor is super easy and you don't have to get close. I then run the vac for like 30 minutes to make sure it's dead in there.

Draken Steel

May 15, 2009
swat them if they land, ignore them most the time. Tons around my house, but they have been surprisingly chill, even had them land on me several times without stinging. My dad's solution, on the other hand, is to punch them out of the air. Our pitbull eats them, even while being actively stung. Still don't like the bastards though, got swarmed when I was little, stung a dozen times.

Fuck spiders though, currently have a hole in my leg from a brown recluse.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
you probably have a nest somewhere. you should find it.

Wasp are very territorial, you can buy decoy nests and hang them outside your house, it's work most of the time to keep wasp away, but only if they dont have a nest already built.

i have a wasp trap that i use. it's made of glass, it look like an upside down wine glass. you put liquid into it, a good one is apple cider vinegar, and basically, wasps can go in, but not out. beware if you put it outside, it also catch a lots of fly...

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
cathou said:
i have a wasp trap that i use. it's made of glass, it look like an upside down wine glass. you put liquid into it, a good one is apple cider vinegar, and basically, wasps can go in, but not out. beware if you put it outside, it also catch a lots of fly...
My grandma had one outside her house for a couple weeks, and it was the most disgusting thing ever. It was constantly surrounded by a cloud of insects, which would crawl inside the trap, die, then the flies would lay eggs in the refuse, which would hatch into maggots, and continue the cycle. Bleghch!

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Basic fy swatter is my go to for those. I've got the bastards building nests in two of my windows that I'll have to wait till fall/winter to deal with due to the windows in question being a ***** to get to safely from the outside and me not wanting to open the windows while the little fuckers are crawling around.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
If it was earlier in the year, a protein trap (stinky!) is great. I guess sweet traps will supposedly be more effective this time of year (never used one).

There are instructions for DIY wasp traps all over, but in my experience, just having a plastic tub of fish oil and guts and water for volume (protein trap) was enough to trap them. Once they get wet they tend to get trapped and die in the water (adding to the protein trap) without the need for a fancier trap.

https://youtu.be/ng-ylBN43PA

This guy makes a more elaborate trap with some boards and cat food and liquid soap but it works even without that. Could be the fish oil bait sticks to them so well they can't get it off, dunno but it's dead simple and always worked for us.
These wasp traps over-think themselves, do what this guy did.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
DeliveryGodNoah said:
I'll try it out. I read something about soap as well that someone else here recommended.
The soap thing is for soaking small, exposed hives. The soap in the water will reduce its surface tension and slip inside the wasp's carapace to drown them.

A 75/25 or 50/50 concentration of bleach/water will do the same thing. Results may vary on individual wasps, and if the hive is sunk into your house or is bigger than a gust or two, call an exterminator. Otherwise, just wait until evening/night when they're calmed and sleeping and soak them good and proper. Upside on the bleach is that it will also obliterate their pheromone trails, downside is that it's toxic to whatever it drips on and can fuck up paint.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Wasps? I'll turn this over to our resident bug expert:

In all seriousness, handle this matter with extreme caution: wasps are aggressive, and dangerous - presuming you aren't allergic to their stings, in which case the represent a genuine threat to your life. If you are absolutely unsure, hire a pro.

Mar 30, 2010
If you constantly have a wasp problem then there's a nest nearby. Best way of dealing with those is with a can of expanding foam.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I usually take a glass, trap it in it, take a piece of paper, slide it under the glass so the paper becomes a lid, take it outside and release the wasp. That's pretty much it, but having a fear of them makes this quite difficult I can imagine.

The other alternative which already was mentioned here was to burn the house and everythin in close proximity to ashes!

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why I panic, of course, I hope they go away on their own.
Those vengeful psycho-bees with anger issues and a nonexistant reaction time to murder and catch-attempts because they experience the world in slow-motion can fuck right off.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
My dad has his own way to deal with wasps: Being a hunter and outdoorsman, he loads his own cartridges. Whenever he sees a wasp, he'll install a primer cap in an empty cartridge, load it into his rifle, and blast the wasp at point blank. The discharge from a primer cap is just powerful enough to burn the wasp's extremities off (wings, legs, antennae etc), leaving just the roasted main body.

(It probably kills the wasp instantly too.)

If you can find the nest, a nice non-violent option is to place a cup of ammonium chloride directly underneath its main entrance. The wasps will abandon the nest due to the horrible smell.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess I should consider lucky that the wasp and bees I encounter came from the open window (FF mom, I don't want to open the window wide cos the bloody bees keep coming in! Seriously, even with a small openning, they still stupidly come in!).
Anyway, I consider that to be lucky cos the bee or wasp will simply want to go back outside but the window is the in way.
My solution is open the window as WIDE as possbile and get a paper to something wide to nudge them to the direction of the open window. Granted most of the time, they will try to fly away...

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
This is the only sensible solution.

loa said:
Why I panic, of course, I hope they go away on their own.
No, don't panic. Flapping your arms at them and trying to move away will only annoy them. If a wasp flies right up in your face, stay still, let it inspect you until it has decided that it can't eat/mate/make a home of you and it will go away. Its hard to do at first, but once you get used to it, it gets easier.

Mind you, not even that is good enough sometimes. I was at a music festival and was just chilling out, minding my own business and I absentmindedly put my hands on my head. After a few seconds I feel a stinging sensation from under my hands, I had only gone and put my hands on one of these evil flying hate machines and it wasn't happy. That hurt all day.