How do you deal with wasps in your house?

Apr 24, 2008
DeliveryGodNoah said:
my mother was nearly killed by a swarm of them just repeatedly attacking her, and getting stuck in her hair.
This happened to me too. For months after whenever I would try to physically exert myself my muscles would seize up and sting. Little bastards really beat the shit out of me.

If 1 gets in my house I mostly just do my best to make it easy for them to get out again. If they prove too stupid to leave I have to smush them.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Wasps and spiders can't get me if I have my windows shut all the time! Muahahahahahahaa (who am I kidding spiders still get me)

I never really wasps in my house to be honest. But if you are getting them almost daily, it sounds like you have a nest or something somewhere. Best call an exterminator.

Or burn your house down. There is no inbetween.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I usually open the door and waft them out of it. People get really stupid around wasps. It is very very unlikely an adult will get themselves stung, and yet will run around with bits of paper, trying to stop one wasp as though their life depended on it. I usually ignore them, as long as they don't buzz too loudly or go after what I'm eating.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Having witnessed a striking display of it recently at my parents' house, I would say your best bet is to take out the source. If there's that many wasps around, they must have a nest somewhere nearby if you look around. Hopefully it's not up in a tree.

Last week, my parents noticed a small wasp nest that had been built in one of their windows when they weren't looking. I was there visiting when my dad brought out a heavy-duty raid can (with proper protective equipment of course) and sprayed the nest down with it. It only took about 5 seconds of spraying before dead wasps started tumbling out. There had to be at least 10 of them, and none of them even got close to him.

Granted, my dad is a brave guy who likes doing things hands-on even if they could be dangerous, and that nest was still in its early stages, so if that prospect is too scary for you I would hire a professional. You can also buy sticky traps that attract them with a sweet smell, but that won't get rid of the nest.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
MatParker116 said:
Tennis racket
I'm starting to relive some high school tennis team moments from this post. I love how they just go flying across the planet at cartoonish speeds when you land a hit.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Catfood220 said:
This is the only sensible solution.

No, don't panic. Flapping your arms at them and trying to move away will only annoy them. If a wasp flies right up in your face, stay still, let it inspect you until it has decided that it can't eat/mate/make a home of you and it will go away. Its hard to do at first, but once you get used to it, it gets easier.
Of course, at first it might feel a bit like this:

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Every day I wake up, there's a 70% chance I'll see a wasp(s) floating around my house, either on a doorway or being a dick by flying from one side of the house to the other.
Are you my daughter? I have long dealt with the occasional wasp in the house. For me, here in a Texas summer, I may get 2-3 a month like this. My daughter does indeed wig out until I chase it down with whatever flyswatter or magazine is handy.

They like to build nests in high corners and are always poking around building roofs and doorways. I've removed 4 or 5 nests in progress in the upper corner of my back door frame. I suspect that they get into my home because they are landed in a door corner, checking it out for a possible nest location, when somebody opens the door. In the USA, exterior doors always open inwards.

My advice would be to always look along the top of your entry door before you open it to go inside. This isn't possible if you opening from the inside. But, maybe you can cut down 50% of the rogue entries.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Put up a few fake nests filled with water/poison.
It's worked to keep them away from the house to start.

Also: There's many a spray that will kill on contact.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
I used to get a lot of paper wasps in the eves on my back patio, right next to my clothes line.

One morning I got some underwear from the line and put it on to find it contained a wasp, neither of us was happy about sharing those undies. Not as bad as the redback spider I found in my doona cover.

I now use a surface insecticide spray where the wasps used to nest and on door frames / window sills, re-applying it every few months, to ensure no more undie surprises...

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Annoying problem isn't it? Luckily there are a few easy solutions, so here goes:
* Start listening to black metal, preferably with heavy satanistic or sadistic overtones. They can't stand that shit.
* Convert to a really out there pseudo-religion. Satanism (the LaVey kind) or norse paganism get those suckers straight up into a bind.
* Befriend some ethnic gang members. Nothing freaks them out like having a bunch of latinos in their living room flashing gang signs and calling everyone cabron and ese.
* Start cooking meth. It will have them on a freak out in no time, both moral and olfactory.

In the olden days going "full homo" was also a good bet, but alas times are a-changing and the WASPs have become much more tolerant to this approach. But with the four tips above, I can assure you that you'll have those White Anglo-Saxon Protestants out of your house in no time.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I tried a more zen approach, I tried to catch them with chopsticks. Then I got repeatedly stung. Zen went out the window, and a can of fly spray with a lighter is my new Happy Place.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Generally, I don't. If it's only a single wasp or a few of them looking for food, I'll gladly share my apples, pears and whatever is on hand with them. I also usually cut away a bit of steak for them to tuck into so they don't feel the need to get on our plates, which has worked just fine all my life.

If they were to build their home inside our walls, that's overstepping and it will be handled with smoke first. If they don't get the signal right and start looking for a new home, I'll gladly tear the wall down, set it on fire, nuke it from orbit and start from scratch. Don't get me wrong - I love and adore wasps, but they're just not too cool around pets and kids. Very cool to police the garden, though. They're like tiny, flying Rottweilers. I like that.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Protective wear and electricity. Can't fly very far when you've been burned alive can you.....cunts.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Supress a panic attack (phobia for insects are never fun), and yet stil trying to deal with them the best I can.
Last time this actually happend, it had flown straight into a ceiling lamp and it fried itself because it couldn't get out.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
If wasps wander around often then it means that they have a nest nearby. Try to find the nest(s), wasps like to build their nests right below hanging edges. Then use a fair amount of potent bug spray on the nest.

Burning the nest doesn't work in my experience, unless you fully torch it they will rebuild it. Spraying the buggers takes care of them for good.