How do you deal with wasps in your house?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Every day I wake up, there's a 70% chance I'll see a wasp(s) floating around my house, either on a doorway or being a dick by flying from one side of the house to the other.

I'm also terrified of them. I've never been stung personally by a wasp (bees yes) but my mother was nearly killed by a swarm of them just repeatedly attacking her, and getting stuck in her hair.

We live just across the street from some woods and a river, so we get all kinds of obnoxious insects in our house, but most of them are easily dealt with because they can be easily captured (or killed, if I have to act fast), but wasps are a no go for me.

My house mate thinks this electric racket that's meant for flies and other minor insects works just fine, but they have to REALLY hold onto that button before the damn wasp stops moving, and I just don't have the confidence to use that thing. Plus, it's not always an option since wasps like to crawl around corner looking for a way out.

I've tried catching them in a container before, but there's the problem of getting a lid on before the bastard flies out and is now thoroughly pissed at you.

so how do you guys deal with them? Are you confident enough to just go squish them, or do you use some kind of bug zapper, or maybe you're crafty enough to catch them.

There's one in my kitchen as we speak, so if I never post again, I starved to death.
Apparently, Page one of this thread has some pretty shit advice. To be fair, most of you are just making jokes, so...

Killing, or angering a wasp causes it to release pheromones that signals some danger is afoot. Not too unlike the "blood call" that some enemies make in games like Xcom, really pisses off the other wasps in the immediate vicinity, and they gain bonuses like increased chance to crit, and increased attacks per turn. Plus, they release the pheromones too. So repeated killings will result in you getting your ass stung. Probably repeatedly.

If there are wasps in your house, they're getting in somewhere. Start looking for either a nest (They prefer to keep moderately close to a nest) or a way into your house that is not the front door. If you find a hole, plug that shit up with some puddy. If you find a nest INSIDE your house, call an exterminator. If it's a big-ish nest outside of your house, call an exterminator. Putting up a fake nest next to an already established nest will do fucking nothing. (But once the nest is gone, put up a fake nearby, as it's great for warding off the cunts.) If the nest is smaller than your fist, you can destroy it in one fell swoop with a 2x4 or some other plank. But you'd best fucking make sure you destroy it in one hit, so don't try if the plank feels awkward.

Good luck.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
They breathe through pores on the legs. tire sealant clogs those pores and the suffocate almost immediately.
or there is always fire. lots and lots of fire. KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Also, you should probably never go to Japan if you have a phobia of regular sized wasps:

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
This is the best thing to catch wasps. I don't know if it's available in your country but you can catch as many of them as there is room in this thing. Or you can also make one yourself using some bottles.

https://www.jurana.com/media/catalog/product/p/a/past_za_mrc_es_insekte_1.jpg

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I bet there's a nest in your roof or something. Maybe a bug bomb might work? Set one off, chuck it in the roof and kill every damn insect up there!

My parents once woke up to the roof being covered by baby spiders. Immediately set off a bug bomb in the roof.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I hate wasps and bees. Bumblebees not so much, actually.

Living out in the country means those pesky stingers will bother you in the summer for sure.
Hence why I never ever eat outdoors. Screw picnics and barbecues.

I just watch them...intensely. aaand wait. and wait.
Until they get drawn to a window or door. I then sneak up gently and quickly open it up and watch them fly out.
For the most part.

Spiders, I catch in a plastic coca-cola bottle and drop outside the window.
I was never much bothered by giant bumblebees before we had a freak incident. One got into the house and was squished by a sliding glass door, then it was like something out of a horror movie. Tons of giant bumblebees started attacking the back door making thud sounds and they were like all swarming the house trying to get inside. It was so surreal, I didn't think Bumble bees behaved that way, so I call parks and wildlife and asked them about it and they said that until recently they had never heard of bumble bees doing that, but they may be evolving to become more aggressive as a result of environment loss. It was crazy, felt like the birds horror movies but with Bumble bees. This actually went on for hours. I was afraid they were going to find a way into the house. They were acting more like Africanized Honeybees than Bumblebees. ( Yes, I am sure they were actual bumblebees, I know the differences very well.)

We always had a ton of yellowjacket wasps getting into the house growing up, but I usually just opened the doors and herded them with a broom or something to encourage them to go out. You can knock down the next while they are sleeping if you can find it or make a trap to catch them as well:

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-make-a-wasp-trap-1389067
They sell premade wasp traps as well, but those vary by area.
I do not really like to use traps myself, as you may catch honeybees, and we need all of those we can get.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I hate wasps and bees. Bumblebees not so much, actually.

Living out in the country means those pesky stingers will bother you in the summer for sure.
Hence why I never ever eat outdoors. Screw picnics and barbecues.

I just watch them...intensely. aaand wait. and wait.
Until they get drawn to a window or door. I then sneak up gently and quickly open it up and watch them fly out.
For the most part.

Spiders, I catch in a plastic coca-cola bottle and drop outside the window.
I was never much bothered by giant bumblebees before we had a freak incident. One got into the house and was squished by a sliding glass door, then it was like something out of a horror movie. Tons of giant bumblebees started attacking the back door making thud sounds and they were like all swarming the house trying to get inside. It was so surreal, I didn't think Bumble bees behaved that way, so I call parks and wildlife and asked them about it and they said that until recently they had never heard of bumble bees doing that, but they may be evolving to become more aggressive as a result of environment loss. It was crazy, felt like the birds horror movies but with Bumble bees. This actually went on for hours. I was afraid they were going to find a way into the house. They were acting more like Africanized Honeybees than Bumblebees. ( Yes, I am sure they were actual bumblebees, I know the differences very well.)

We always had a ton of yellowjacket wasps getting into the house growing up, but I usually just opened the doors and herded them with a broom or something to encourage them to go out. You can knock down the next while they are sleeping if you can find it or make a trap to catch them as well:

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-make-a-wasp-trap-1389067
They sell premade wasp traps as well, but those vary by area.
I do not really like to use traps myself, as you may catch honeybees, and we need all of those we can get.
Yikes, sounds quite scary and definitely very odd indeed.

Now that I think about it, it was ages since I last saw any amount of bumblebees larger than a single solitary individual buzzing around. Their decline has affected a lot of flora and the meager (and late) amount of tree fruits this year stand testament to that fact.

Too bad one can't cheer at the reduced collective of bees/wasps while also mourn the passing of the bumblebees.