How Do You Define "Friend"?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To me "friend" are people you can see face to face (no offence to my online friends but I find it better to communite with your friend as face to face, not via messager or skype etc).
Also if you putting some of your precious time just to meet them while you got better things to do is proof that you're friend with them as being friends is being selfless (in another word, you are willing to go to great length to help or meet your friend).
Lastly a friend should appreciate who you are and the way you are and that you can trust them the most as they can understand you (have things in common and can relate to).

RedFeather1975

Apr 26, 2008
I don't require a friend to be interdependent.
If we like to enjoy shared experiences that is good enough.
I guess it is more a synergized audience kind of deal. The feeling that, this meal would be so much better if I was enjoying it with my friend, or this movie would be so much better... That kind of stuff.

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
Probably 3, my girlfriend, and two friends I've had for over 15 years and 6 years respectively.
Maybe my old boss too but most other friends would probably not even help me move furniture

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Well, anyone who doesn't hate me profusely... and I believe them...

So, by that definition no one...<.<

QuartzQuadreant

Sep 14, 2012
My general index for friendship is 'someone who would kill me if I turned into a zombie'. Alternatively, someone who would lend me £50 and not expect to get it back, someone who'd let me sleep on their sofa if I needed somewhere to stay, someone who'd pick me up from the airport at 3 in the morning.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
...someone who I talk to a lot by choice?

I guess my definition is a lot less friendly than everyone else's, but I highly doubt even my closest friends would lend me any considerable amount of money, or pick me up from a random place if I rang them. I don't have any drama in my life so those things don't really matter, and my family would be the ones to help me out of any desperate situations.

Thinking about it, my two closest friends probably wouldn't lend me money, but my close acquaintances probably would... that's messed up.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
When I fall down, my friend is there to help me get up.
My best friend is laughing and taking pictures.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
I'm going to take a page out of Lord Griffith's book, and say that a true friend is an equal. I have people in my life who I can trust with anything, who would do their best to help me in most given situations, but there's only one I really, truly respect.

I've known him since I was six years old. We've had our issues, butted heads more than a few times, but he's the only person I share this kind of bond with. And right now I'm really glad he doesn't browse the Escapist.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
A neighbour is someone you talk about the weather with. A mate is someone you banter with and get on with. A friend is someone you can hang with without having to to put on a matey act, you can just be yourself and even whinge about stuff and they're okay with that. A really good friend is someone you trust enough to tell anything.

Generally the difference between friends and good friends is time.

I have(trying to avoid double counting) 2 good friends, 8 friends, 50ish mates, loads of neighbours.

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
Somebody who is willing to accept me being a complete tosser to them and perfectly willing to be one back.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I define "Friend" as someone who's willing and eager to spend time with me when I'm in the worst mood possible, and vice versa. It's someone of whom I'll gobble up the complaints like they're spring water because I care, and someone who'll let me ***** if I feel like bitching.

A friend is someone who recognizes that while I'm a mature adult, I don't need to act like one in front of them. A friend is someone who might not implicitly understand all my geeking out over certain things, but who's come to respect these interests of mine.

Above all, a friend is someone who puts you in front of hard truths when you need the wind knocked out of your sails or some common sense punched back into you. Preferrably with words instead of fists. A friend doesn't just sit there and go "You say things are cool so they're cool. Chyeah."

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I have 4 "true" friends.

We grew up together. Around the same age we all lived on the same street. We've known each other for 28 years. Went through school and the army together.

I've met people along the way but those 4 guys would take a bullet for me and i'd do the same for them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Someone I can and want to hang out with (and the feeling is mutual).

I got quite a few friends and a whole lot of acquaintances.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Someone who I wouldn't feel awkward suggesting something outlandish to. Which narrows it down considerably for me. I have a number of good friends, most of whom I haven't seen for about a year. But they'd still certainly be up for disposing of a body, and perhaps more importantly, they'd think of me if they needed something similar. The rest of the people I have on Facebook, which seems to be the metric by which people are measuring friendship for some reason, fall into a small number of categories: Acquaintances, who I would say hello to in the street, relatives who I rarely meet but have added for politeness' sake, and people from when I used to play Mafia Wars, who might as well be dead to me and were purely practical in the first place. Then again, I suppose what I consider a good friend is probably more lenient than most because I don't make them very fast and don't have time to spend doing that.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Calibanbutcher said:
A real friend does not come to bail you out.

He sits next to you and tells you: "Well, that sure was a wild ride."
This is the best definition I have seen!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
There are a lot of people I'm friendly with, and I consider them friends to some degree, but a real friend is someone I'd A) take a bullet for, or B) fight/kill for.

I have five such people currently in my life who aren't family.