How do you define your nationality?

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Anglo-American.

Canada's turned its back on our British heritage and I don't identify with out hallow, made up post-war nationalism. We're children of the British Empire and were at our best serving her while today our culture is dominated by America and most Canadians prefer it to be that way, no matter how much the Government and CRTC try in vain to keep us watching most of the crap we produce indigenously.

Sep 14, 2009
JoJo said:
I like to separate ethnicity from nationality, so I consider myself:

Ethnic group: English (I'm about 3/4 English by ancestry, the rest German, Danish and Irish from Victorian era migration)
Nationality: British (Born, raised and still live in the United Kingdom)
Continent: European (Again, born and raised here)
Race: White (Most or all of my ancestry from Europe, don't like the term "Caucasian" for various reasons and it's not used much in the UK anyway)
Civilisation: Western (Live and identify with Western culture)

I think nationality is wherever you have citizenship of and then ethnic group and race covers other heritage etc.
curious why don't you like the term Caucasian? never heard that before.

OT:

Born in the united states, so i am a US citizen. (for all you PC people out there, i usually just say american, but whatev's)

my heritage/ancestry is mostly polish and german, so i would say that if asked that question, i took german in high school otherwise there isn't much relation there.

Kael Arawn

Mar 4, 2012
Im Australian as its my place of residence and your nationality is 100% based on your physical location of permanent residence so if you have joint citizen ship and you spend a equal amount of time in both locations you can claim your nationality as both, otherwise dominance of living location really does define it.

Genetically (ie ancestry wise) my mums German and my dads Indian (my grandfather was also a conscripted member of the nazi war machine), and my mother immigrated here in the 70's and met my dad then as well**. He originally immigrated from Indian to Brittan when he was 10 with his sister and from Brittan to Australian in the 70s where he met my mum** as a bus conductor and 12 years later they made me :) (born 82')

So i have direct blood relatives in Germany, Indian, Brittan & Australia and since my mum was part a of a huge family (13 kids), i also have relatives in Africa, Scotland and China that i know of (nieces, nephews etc).

So generally I like to call my self a child of the world (ie human) but my home and nationality is and probably always will be Australia :)

*Interesting that my grandfather on my mums side would have killed my grandfather on my dads side if they had ever met each other because of a ideology that was forced on him by fascists

**And who says Australia isn't a multicultural place.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
gmaverick019 said:
curious why don't you like the term Caucasian? never heard that before.
Partly because it originates from a mistaken Victorian belief that Europeans and their close relatives such as North Africans and Middle-Easterners arose from the Caucasus region. My ancestors have lived in Europe for tens of thousands of years, if we're going to use geographical names for racial types then we might as well go for European or European-origin. I feel no connection to the Caucasus region and I don't really want to ape the name of the actual inhabitants there. I know it's kinda silly but that's the way I feel *shrugs*.

Ironside said:
Calling Northern Ireland British would also technically be false. You would be something like a UKian. I am either British or UKian (which is apparently also a race in Star Wars), but since I just made up the second one I guess I will have to stick with British for the moment.
Well actually, even though Northern Ireland is not a part of the island of Great Britain, it's generally accepted that they are British by a virtue of being part of the United Kingdom and many of them being descended from English, Welsh and Scottish settlers who moved over centuries ago. Irish itself was considered a sub-nationality of British by many about a century ago before the Irish Free State was formed. Another example, Falkland Islanders generally consider themselves British despite living thousands of miles away from the mainland!

Pawkeshup

Dec 8, 2010
I was born in the US, but I have lived in Canada for 13 years, and I am even a citizen here. I consider myself Canadian.