How do you drink coffee?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
chowderface said:
Cafe Americano is literally watered down espresso. American GIs overseas ordered it that way because they weren't used to how strong the espresso was (hence why it's "Americano").
I see.
I always thought it just meant 'black coffee' in annoying hip coffee bar jargon.
Deadlock Radium said:
Jonluw said:
I drink my coffee black and strong.
Like a man.
This. It's apparently very Norwegian to drink coffee black and strong, according to a mate.
I hear we used to have the highest per capita coffee consumption in the world.
Then Finland came along and beat us...
Damn them.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Lots o milk. No sugar, it just ends up making me crash at my desk towards lunch if I put sugar in it.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I don't drink coffee, not because someone told me it's forbidden but because I just don't want or need to. I have drank lattes or whatever before but for the most part, I don't really want to spend money on coffee nor do I want to be addicted on caffeine.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Deadlock Radium said:
Jonluw said:
What's your favourite kind of coffee then? I've developed quite the addiction for Friele Frokost Kaffe :3
To be honest, I have no idea what I'm drinking.
I just drink the same stuff my parents make. I guess I can go check what it is...

I'm currently drinking Löfbergs lilla mellanrost.
Some Swedish stuff my parents have taken a liking to.
Weirdly, it's not a press can ground. It's "cooking coffee" (kokekaffe)

If I were to claim something as my favourite kind of coffee though, it'd be Blue java. I haven't actually tasted it, but it smells like heaven. I love to just take a good whiff of the beans when I walk past them in the store. Sadly, I don't have a grinder so I can't really buy it.

philzibit

May 25, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
So I stopped in Starbucks and decided to just start basic: a regular coffee (brown) with no cream, sugar, or nothing.

As I'm sure some most of you would guess, I highly regretted that.
That's because Starbucks is god awful.

The best coffee would be Manhattan coffee(the brand.) It's delicious without anything added to it. Unfortunately, I don't know where you can get it accept at a local diner in Belleville, IL.

Other than that, it depends on the brand. Since it's convenient, I usually go through Mc. Donalds and get 3 creams with it, but I don't much care for their coffee.

Since I work there, I also have Moto Mart's house blend frequently, and I take it black.

Dystopia

Jul 26, 2009
I used to absolutely hate coffee, even the smell of it made me sick. Then one day I tried a mocha and quite liked it. Now I drink my coffee black, no sugar. It's all about the caffeine.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Pumpkin spiced. I drink coffee like some kind of jittery imp during October-December, and then I pretty much avoid it until next year. I suppose I could make my own pumpkin spiced coffee, but I really don't care enough to buy my own coffeemaker, grinder, coffee, and whatever else is needed.

Rnr1224

Mar 21, 2011
i decided to start drinking mine black about a year ago because people always messed it up when i ordered.
it does remind me of this however:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANcVXHqNTI

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
PhunkyPhazon said:
I mean I know coffee is supposed to be bitter, but DAMN! That was like the only word I could possibly use to describe it. I'm certainly never trying that particular idea again. Obviously I need to add something or start with a different kind of blend. What do you guys recommend? What's a good starting point?
Jonluw said:
Like a man.

But if you really don't like coffee, use milk and/or sugar.
Even back when I didn't like coffee, a cup with 5 teaspoons of sugar was awesome.
Oh my, you really are bias to the pure black coffee aren't you ;) Well that is matter of taste. I'll give my biased opinion now ;)

THIS IS JUST HOW I SEE AND DRINK COFFEE before someone starts to flame, "your wrong whaa whaa" :D

Well, it seems accordingly to Jonluw, I am just a shadow of a man. I drink my coffee with plain milk. And with lots of it (around 1 milk to 3 coffee). I have never gotten used to that extreme bitter. And for beginners I would recommend milk or even cream with coffee. One reason for me doing this is also, that I don't get basicly any other calsium than from my coffee milk. :p I don't know, but from experience I could guess that cream reduces the bitterness of coffee like 2-3 times more that same amount of milk, but cream also removes something else... I don't know what. Perhaps the high grease content of the cream...

I have been making my own coffee, even from unbrewed coffee, for long time. I would highly recommend you to try that or otherwise get to know home made coffee. It is because, I mostly find that ready made coffee is sometimes just.. bad... or at least not so good... I don't know if it the actual process or the fact that they use some powder milk or just that the water coffee ratios are not to my liking.. or the process (high pressures and high temperatures). Also, some coffee shops has the pot heating there for like the whole day and the coffee tastes more like charcoal than coffee. Anyways, for real tasting of coffee, please reach someone who makes their own coffee. And it is really safe bet to start tasting from cream or milk blends.

If you actually have taste nerves, like you seem to have, because you said that coffee is extreme bitter, you can even do this for actually being able to taste the coffee: starbucks black and milk (cream removes bitterness faster but it also softens the coffee's taste in overall which milk hardly does) from around the corner shop. Then just pour a bit of your coffee off, or to another cup, and add milk to your liking. Somewhere there you actually start to taste the coffee from the extreme bitter :)

If you think, you can try sugar, like Jonluw above, but that does not remove the bitter that well and it distorts the taste of the coffee (for me atleast). Sugar just converts the bitter to sweet, which is not good, if you like to taste the coffee. Not the extreme mixture of sugar and bitter. You can have something nice along with the coffee and baked sweets might do the trick in start, but make those sweets as plain as possible. No fancy dressings and cola flavored, or whatever, flakes on top of those. And if you don't want to try bakery stuff alongside, the safest bet for 'normal candy' is plain chocolate, which gets along with coffee really well.

These are just what I feel like, being a daily coffee drinker for... well only around 5 years now. No actual knowledge then ;) But anyways. Hopefully helps.

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
Jonluw said:
chowderface said:
Cafe Americano is literally watered down espresso. American GIs overseas ordered it that way because they weren't used to how strong the espresso was (hence why it's "Americano").
I see.
I always thought it just meant 'black coffee' in annoying hip coffee bar jargon.
Deadlock Radium said:
Jonluw said:
Like a man.
This. It's apparently very Norwegian to drink coffee black and strong, according to a mate.
I hear we used to have the highest per capita coffee consumption in the world.
Then Finland came along and beat us...
Damn them.
:( I don't like to be damned :( ... :D

I could say also that "It's apparently very Finnish to drink coffee black and strong" but I can't. Some do, some don't. But what I have noticed is that drinking black coffee seems to be more common with smokers (taste nerves not so sensitive?) and elder people (is that like 'we had hard times in the war and now we can and will' -type of stuff? I don't know.)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I've my own one cup espresso machine. Picked it up at a garage sale, and it's been serving dutifully ever since.

I put whip creme and ground nutmeg in mine (I stir the creme in quickly so it mixes in the thermos) usually, though I've also taken to putting small bits of baking caramels in it lately (I can flavor over 20 cups with one small bag from the candy section.)

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
ive been told i make a mean coffee... what i do (depending on your preference) is add one and a half tea spoons of coffe and then add the milk while the kettle is boiling and stir ( put the milk in before the water as the water burns the coffee, thats why you get the bitter taste) then once kettle is boiled i pour the water slowly over the back of the spoon into the cup ( i dont actually know if this makes a difference) voila! perfect cup of coffee