How do you feel about "lost woods" type areas in games?

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not too crazy about them. Now, I've yet to see such a scenario arise in a survival horror game, but I somehow feel like it could be quite unsettling...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't mind 'em, they can be a bit irritating though esp. when the game doesn't provide any clues as to what the correct path is so you just have to keep guessing until you get through (or look it up on GameFAQs).

EDIT: Then again, the same could be said about any combination based puzzles, like the dragon claw combination locks in Skyrim. Man those were irritating. Some clue as to what the combination was would've been nice!!
Ando85 said:
I'm referring to maze like areas that repeat if you go certain ways and you must figure out a path to take to advance. The earliest area like this that comes to mind is in The Legend of Zelda on NES. I'm not too fond of them and they can get rather frustrating.
Speaking of The Lost Woods in the original NES Legend of Zelda, did you know you can completely bypass them? Yeah, just get the ladder from, I think it's Dungeon 4 and then use it to cross the little river in the screen above where Dungeon 1 is and Voila you're in the area beyond the Lost Woods.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Torrasque said:
It depends how they are done.
Lost woods is done really well because the first time you go through it, you have to follow Saria's song to find the right door. If you have any kind of patience at all, the "labyrinth" is really not that difficult at all. Even on your second trip through the lost woods, if you are patient and take the time to take in your surroundings and pay attention to where you are, it is not a difficult labyrinth to get through.

Other games tend to do it really lousy, like a trial and error. Zelda games have always been able to do it right.
You don't even need to do that. Just go the edge of the darkness, if the darkness disappears, then go through, otherwise, go to another piece of darkness. Rinse and repeat, did it before I found the sword when I was a child.

OT: I dislike them. You need atmosphere to pull them off, yet to go through one which pulls off this atmosphere.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Well, in Ocarina of Time there was some pleasant music playing, it also grew louder when you moved towards the right path.

There's a sense of calm and there's logic in Lost Woods. In some games they do it in ways to make you wander around not knowing what the hell you're trying to do and that's just bad design if you ask me. Which you did. So I voice my opinion. Deal with it. Sorry everyone, I'm sleep deprived.

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
Annoying, but far from intolerable if there's some of hint as to where you should go (a.k.a. why the Lost Woods in Paper Mario or Ocarina of Time are alright). Of course, if that hint disappears, then I get irritated. (I swear I followed Geno along the path he just walked on. But now, I don't see him at the next intersection. What the hell happened?)

If you don't have any information to go on, though, and you just end up going in random directions until you can get out of that loop, THEN it's just luck-based, horrible, and deserving of a punch to the developer's face (ex: the hedge crossroads in Legend of Zelda).

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Richardplex said:
Torrasque said:
It depends how they are done.
Lost woods is done really well because the first time you go through it, you have to follow Saria's song to find the right door. If you have any kind of patience at all, the "labyrinth" is really not that difficult at all. Even on your second trip through the lost woods, if you are patient and take the time to take in your surroundings and pay attention to where you are, it is not a difficult labyrinth to get through.

Other games tend to do it really lousy, like a trial and error. Zelda games have always been able to do it right.
You don't even need to do that. Just go the edge of the darkness, if the darkness disappears, then go through, otherwise, go to another piece of darkness. Rinse and repeat, did it before I found the sword when I was a child.

OT: I dislike them. You need atmosphere to pull them off, yet to go through one which pulls off this atmosphere.
Oh I know that, but the 3DS version doesn't do that, and I feel kind of guilty taking advantage of the game's graphics to get through gameplay.

unbreakable212

Feb 4, 2012
If anyone here has played Icewind Dale 2 they'll know what I mean when I say "Fell Wood"

HAD to use a guide to navigate this area as it got rather stupid after awhile, go north-west, then north-east, then north-east again that takes you to an area that looks exactly the same but is actually different. Ugh, annoyed the hell out of me but there was a skill called Wilderness Tracking or something, which seemed useless up till that part, even with that unless it was high enough you'd still spend a long time in that area.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I don't mind as long as there's some kind of indication that you've fucked up and restarted. A good example is the lost woods in Ocarina of Time, you actually exit the woods each time you mess up. Then there's games like the woods in Super Mario RPG where you're after the bow and arrow guy that you can just wander around to your hearts content with no fucking clue about whether or not you're on the right path.

Mazes can be a fun tool to use, but as I said: it always helps if the game lets you know that you fucked up.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
unbreakable212 said:
If anyone here has played Icewind Dale 2 they'll know what I mean when I say "Fell Wood"
EUUURGHH, I hated that part, had to look at a guide as well.

Apparently there was a single NPC in the nearby village who could give you a vague hint, but she looked exactly the same as the generic nameless villagers who had nothing good to say.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
If they are done well then I dont mind them and they can be quite fun but usually I find them mildly irritating at best and near game breaking at worst same with QTE they can be good but are so rarely done so it would have been better not to have included them at all in most cases.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
The Fade in Dragon Age: Origins.

At first: interesting. After that: annoying. Then also frustrating.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Ando85 said:
I'm referring to maze like areas that repeat if you go certain ways and you must figure out a path to take to advance. The earliest area like this that comes to mind is in The Legend of Zelda on NES. I'm not too fond of them and they can get rather frustrating.
Things that make you start over and make you do it a certain way, can't think of the last game to do something like that.

OT: I think they are fine when done right.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
They're not that bad; just an annoying little bit of trial and error is required to overcome them... If you really have a huge problem memorizing the route you could just write it down or something.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Makes feel awesome. I love doing them without guides so I can stop and make maps. Makes the game even immersive as it invades your life, yet that's what you would do in game.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
EDIT: Then again, the same could be said about any combination based puzzles, like the dragon claw combination locks in Skyrim. Man those were irritating. Some clue as to what the combination was would've been nice!!
Look in the palm of the claws.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Being lost pretty much stopped me from fininshing Link to the Past back on SNES, so yeah, fuck it.