How do you fight writer's block?

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Usually I'd leave it alone for a day or two, but you don't seem to have that option. Going for a walk, a shower or anything really for half an hour could help. Get away from the blank screen/paper for a while and that usually helps.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
(1) Research. Too late for that I guess.
(2) Go for a walk. No time for that I guess.
(3) Sit outside a supermarket and watch people coming out. No time for that I guess.
(4) Just start writing whatever you can. Take a five minute break, come back and try to shape it a little more. Write more, take a break, come back a rework what you've done. You need to get what you are writing in to your head so you're thinking about it when you're doing other things. Then the inspiration will come.

katana-409

Apr 28, 2010
Write about something you understand best. Start off with two maybe three sentences. Then move onto the subject. turn it into an essay if you can. do that two times and your writer's block is gone. works for me; never had to fight it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
SomeLameStuff said:
I have ten quotes printed on large pieces of paper tacked around my computer for occasions such as this:
Oh, I'm so saving those!

But anyway... I don't get writer's block because:

1) I'm not a writer.
2) Even when no ideas come to mind, I've always got old ideas I can build on to my heart's content.
3) Since I get most of my ideas from vaguer episodes in history, I don't think I'll run out. (Yes, I'm a cop-out, but look at point 1... I'm not going to apologise!)
& 4) As other's have mentioned 'writer's block' doesn't exist, 'writers failing' happens.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm not a writer but a writer friend told me this one:

Close your eyes, put some stimulating music or something on, start up a text editor and just start typing whatever comes to mind. It's probably gibberish but that's perfectly fine. Do this until you feel absolutely empty.

I do this whenever I feel emotionally blocked but it's meant for writers blocks. Or so I've heard.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Try writing with music going in the background or a audio blog i find that helps me alot, it focuses the distraction prone part of my mind allowing the more disciplined part to work.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
yeti585 said:
A long walk can do it. I usually try to stay away from mid-morning to midday, though. Something about a walk in the afternoon can really free up the mind.

It's definitely something you have to experiment with though. Too long of a walk and you become tired and it is taxing--Too short of a walk and you haven't given yourself enough time.
This is a good suggestion. I've done this before, but I find driving works really well too. I drive a lot, so I get a lot of time to brainstorm ideas.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Go have a shower or take a lengthy dump.

All my best inspiration happens to me on the toilet or in the shower.
Lucky bastard. Mine all happen at 3 in the morning just before I fall to sleep. I presume they're my best ideas, at any rate. I don't really remember.

DarkenedWolfEye

Jan 4, 2010
If I'm trying to write and nothing's coming, or if what I'm writing is bad, I like to shut my eyes and then type. You can sort out what's good and what's bad later; just getting words out is what's important for getting past the block. If that doesn't help, try some other way to remove the self-consciousness, like handwriting instead of typing, or a change of scenery. The key to getting past a block - for me, anyway - is getting over fear of inadequacy.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Taking a break is a terrible idea. Just write. Put ideas down on paper, even if they are shit because you'll finally happen across a good one.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I walk it out. Go outside, choose a direction and have a walk for 30 minutes... That usually clears my mind for long enough to return to it fresh.

But since you have to deliver it tomorrow, I guess its not an option.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
I would recommend doing something else. Go eat, go drink, talk to some friends, get some fresh air...just in general refresh your system.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Take a break, get some fresh air, get an outside opinion, take a nap, freewrite (jot down thoughts and ideas randomly, even incomplete/"stupid" ones, on a separate page... let the words flow freely and see if anything good comes out.), etc., etc., etc..

There's one trick I use that I didn't find in a book about writing: read the dictionary. Pick a page or pages essentially at random and look around until a word or definition catches your interest. Then, figure out correct usage of the word and build around it for a little while; see where that takes you. ...similar to freewriting, but a little more directed and, in my experience, more useful when you're already deeply pondering a particular topic/event. It works equally well with a Thesaurus (particularly the thesaurus feature in MS Word).

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
I don't... I have lost the fight to it... well so far.

I wrote short stories and designed small pen&paper rollplaying games as a hobby years ago. Then the writers block struck me. Since i didn't break it and just did "different stuff" it only got worse.

A few days ago i just wanted to write a background for a roleplaying char of mine: I got under 10 sentences in 4 hours, deleted most of them for not "sounding" right, not conveying the right feeling (And i have got it ALL in my head). Terrible, i nearly broke down (Seeing that i was no longer capable of doing such a simple thing as writing down my thoughts)

So yeah i agree with the others: WRITE, keep writing, don't stop until you are done (AND THEN REWRITE IT after you read it the first time in completion)

I will be at it tonight again. Good luck to you (Oh and also: don't surf the net while you are SUPPOSED TO BE WRITING) -also: no "research" on TV-Tropes and Wikipedia too)

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
1. Get out of house;
2. Have a half-an-hour stroll (or just stand and breathe air, if it's dark and you are afraid);
3. Return home and FINISH HIM!

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Take five minutes (or one, or ten) to write about absolutely anything. Write about how much it sucks to have writer's block. Write a grocery list. Write an angry note to your loud neighbor and then don't send it (or do, it might be fun.)

Bottom line, just get words flowing out of that pen/keyboard and sort of get your brain motor to warm up a little. After a while you'll likely scribble something half crappy but not terrible and the next day you can edit into something worth reading. It's aaaaall about the editing - which comes AFTER the initial brainstorm, not at the same time.

Dingoman013

Mar 11, 2009
listen to music and imagine scenes to it, as well as emotions. It helps me write everything

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I've only ever had it for school assignments.

What I do is wait until the last night, all the while depressing myself with thoughts of homelessness and failure. Then realizing the situation I'm in at the last minute, I BS my way through the paper and done.