How does a "Portal" deathmatch sound?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Valve thought of a soccer type competive play, but play testing show it being a complete mess with portals going everywhere and was scraped.

REcaptcha: quis ofMempl

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I have always wondered why VALVe hasn't included some sort of multiplayer game mode other than co-op. With Portals the possibilities are endless.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Only if the room re-converts itself every 30 seconds and has numerous hazards.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I'm hesitant but not totally against the idea. This IS valve we're talking about so I'm sure if they implemented something like this they will have realized how bad the base idea is and innovated to compensate. Settings traps with the portals for other players makes me think of a fast paced, multiplayer version of Tecmo's Deception which I like.

Actually, I think I'd just rather have that.

But hey, if Valve ever thinks they can pull something like that off I've got faith that it would be better than we suspect.

cbert

Apr 1, 2011
Sounds terrible. I was hoping Portal could get us to step back from senseless violence.

Then Portal 2 came out the same day as Mortal Kombat.

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
I don't personally like the idea why mess with such a great thing? Portal's greatest strength imo is that it isn't like many games nowadays that are so insistent on combat.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
hudsonzero said:
nope portal is a puzzle game, think does death match wheres wally/waldo sound good?
Wasn't that called Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood?

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
I think it would be pretty crappy.
Portal 1 -- wall/ceiling near death pit
Portal 2 -- under opponent
= win

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Can't we have one massively popular game that doesn't center itself on violence?

LockeDown said:
I always thought capture the flag would be perfectly suited to Portal's mechanics.
That would be fantastically awesome.

Gottesstrafe said:
A Deathmatch mode in the next Half-Life installment with a portal gun that would promise for REAL fast and furious gameplay? By all means.
And that would be even better. Can we send this to VALVe?

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
Portal Deathmatch? Eh, maybe.

Personally, I've got a different idea for multiplayer portal.

One person has the portal gun, and everyone else has regular guns. Guy with the portal gun has to avoid being killed as long as he can. The longer he stays alive, the more points he gets. Whoever kills him, gets the portal gun. Most points at the end wins. Or something like that.

Imagine using the portal gun in THAT capacity? Making quick escapes, or placing a portal RIGHT under an enemy's feet, leading them to an acid death? I think it has merit, at least.
You are a genius! That sounds so fun. I don't like the idea of a portal deathmatch, but THIS could be awesome!

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Portal Deathmatch? Eh, maybe.

Personally, I've got a different idea for multiplayer portal.

One person has the portal gun, and everyone else has regular guns. Guy with the portal gun has to avoid being killed as long as he can. The longer he stays alive, the more points he gets. Whoever kills him, gets the portal gun. Most points at the end wins. Or something like that.

Imagine using the portal gun in THAT capacity? Making quick escapes, or placing a portal RIGHT under an enemy's feet, leading them to an acid death? I think it has merit, at least.
That idea sounds much more fun.

Maybe they could have a mode where it's competitive but you do the puzzles, maybe make it to manipulate the environment or use portals to screw up the other players progress.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Stop stealing my Ideas escapist I swear everyone can read My thoughts
OT:it would be a good idea

BlackIvory

May 2, 2011
this could be done well, like people said above me, the one where only 1 guy has the portal gun and everyone else are chasing him. of the CTF could be really fun.
If anyone could pull it off its Valve

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
pulse2 said:
Portal Deathmatch
Now you're winking out mortals!

It'd be pretty awesome if they did it right but it has the potential to be really, REALLY tedious.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
I think instead of standard deathmatch, a Portal competitive mode would have 2 co-op teams playing against each other in some kind of basketball-mixed-with-obstacle-course game.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Well with my mate we already had 1 on 1 deathmatches during the whole co-op thing. I think I still have the notepad with the score somewhere. And I think it was around hundred something'ish for each