How does everyone feel about the final fantasy 7 remake

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I just saw some footage for this recently. I can't make my mind up whether I like the look of it or not so I thought I'd turn to the Escapist forums to see what you think. My first impression is that the combat looks a bit busy - there's a lot going on on the screen. I also don't like the fact they are chopping it up into parts. I mean, how will that work with character levelling etc?

What do you all think? Btw, ff7 is not my favourite game in the series so I've not got a huge stake in this or anything. I like it, but my list goes 6 > 9 > 8 > 4 > 7 > 15 > 5 > 10 > 12 > 13 > 3 > 1 > 2

So what are your thoughts about how it will be? How do you think it looks? Do you think you will get it?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
As cool as I think it would be, the fact it's:
-Episodic
-Nobody seems to know how many episodes the game will consist of
-Nobody seems to know how much of the original game each episode will consist of
-How long each episode will be in hours/content
-How long we'll have to wait between episodes.

and most importantly

-How each episode is going to work as a full, presumably 30-40 hour game when the original FF7 was 40-60 hours. For example, if the first episode/game is going to be midgar, which is basically the first couple hours of the game, I have to question just how they plan to stretch this out to a full fledged game without cramming it full of filler.

Also, following up FFXV, I have to wonder how much content is going to be sold separately as DLC.

"Hey, would you like to see Zack Backstory? Pay me real money to unlock the DLC"

There's also the disturbing possibility that the Gold Saucer will have a premium currency purchased with with money, because that's what the industry is into these days.

All of these concern me and do a lot to temper any enthusiasm I might have. The fact that SE either doesn't know how many episodes and how much content per episode it will take to remake FF7 is also troubling, because it suggests SE doesn't actually know how they're going to do this, or they don't want to tell us for reasons. Neither of which is comforting.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I mean I already bought it, so yeah I'm gonna get it. FF7 is my favorite game of all time, so I'm a bit invested in the game. In regards to your questions here is how I feel.

1. Combat - It looks busy but really isn't, based on the playable demo. If you play Crisis Core, it feels a lot like that. You can attack and block in real time kinda like kingdom hearts. But when you fill your ATB gauge you can pause combat and use a bigger ability or magic if you have materia equipped. Which basically turns the game into what a modern version of the ATB system would be from the original game. You can also assign abilities to shortcuts where you can quickly select an ability to use with your ATB gauge without pausing combat. So the game provides a lot of individual combat options for people and seems open to allowing players to play it in the way that best feels comfortable to them.

It's flashy, but there is less going on than it seems.

2. Parts - Nobody is really excited for this. But ultimately we cannot really judge how this feels until we get our hands on the full game and experience just how much content there is within this part of the game. They've said the game is going to be on 2 blu-ray discs and will have the same amount of content as a normal full Final Fantasy game. I'm a little skeptical on this aspect because I just don't see how they can take what was about 3 hours of content from the original game and expand it out to the point of being a normal 40 hour RPG.

Additionally I'm worried that if part 1 is only Midgar which was not even 5% of the original game, then how many fucking parts are they going to make for the remake? That's what concerns me. It taking 15 years to finish this damn thing. It wont stop me from playing whatever parts come out though so I guess I'm more eager to play even a partial remake of this game, than not play it at all.

3. Character Leveling - This is probably just going to work independently of each part. Like in Final Fantasy 13's three parts, they were all part of the same story with the same characters (kind of) but each part started you at level 1 like it was a brand new game. What concerns me is that Materia leveling in the original game was a big part of progression, needing to master each materia in order to not only gain more copies of a given materia, but also needing them to gain Master Materia's to give character's every spell, summon, and command. I don't know how this is going to work in a split up game, and chances are it'll just be gone.

When you remember FF7 you remember how huge the game felt, and thinking on the scope of what you played in 1997, you wnder how the hell would they make such a huge game work in a full modern AAA remake. However if you really break FF7 down, it isn't really that big of a game. We have plenty modern games that have worlds just as big or just as much content. Red Dead 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Witcher 3, etc.

I think what they should do is NOT try and make the world map a huge open world experience, but instead do a modern take on the scaled top down map itself and worry more about crafting the important areas. FF7 wasn't an open world game, the open world itself didn't have anything special in it except a few combat encounters like the Zolom, and the weapons, but otherwise it was just a map used to go from location to location. And if they keep that aspect of it, they can save a lot of meaningless effort and redirect it into the aspects of the game that mattered more.

I'm very hopeful for the game and very excited to play it. Even if it becomes a completely different experience, it will be nice to play in that world with those characters again.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It looks bonkers.

So...accurate to Final Fantasy then?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'll probably get it (although I said the same about every Final Fantasy game released on the Switch, and so far I got none)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Dalisclock said:
As cool as I think it would be, the fact it's:
-Episodic
-Nobody seems to know how many episodes the game will consist of
-Nobody seems to know how much of the original game each episode will consist of
-How long each episode will be in hours/content
-How long we'll have to wait between episodes.

and most importantly

-How each episode is going to work as a full, presumably 30-40 hour game when the original FF7 was 40-60 hours. For example, if the first episode/game is going to be midgar, which is basically the first couple hours of the game, I have to question just how they plan to stretch this out to a full fledged game without cramming it full of filler.

Also, following up FFXV, I have to wonder how much content is going to be sold separately as DLC.

"Hey, would you like to see Zack Backstory? Pay me real money to unlock the DLC"

There's also the disturbing possibility that the Gold Saucer will have a premium currency purchased with with money, because that's what the industry is into these days.

All of these concern me and do a lot to temper any enthusiasm I might have. The fact that SE either doesn't know how many episodes and how much content per episode it will take to remake FF7 is also troubling, because it suggests SE doesn't actually know how they're going to do this, or they don't want to tell us for reasons. Neither of which is comforting.
That pretty much mirrors my concerns. Well, aside the pro-nouns I got idea about due to never experiencing the original. Modern day Squeenix cannot be trusted. They are gonna milk this one and drag it out for all it's worth. The garunteed cash cow is too huge not to.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I'm feeling quite good about it actually.

I'm excited to see how they are going to flesh out Midgar, what areas they are going to add, how they are going to flesh out characters, what side quests there'll be, etc, etc.

The combat might look a bit busy in trailers, but I have faith that a lot of the fluff and spectacle will essentially become background noise once you get accustomed to the battle system and the buttons.

I don't mind that the game is being released in separate parts, as long as the parts that they release are meaty enough for a $60-70 purchase. There have been fun and worthwhile trilogies in gaming before, I don't see why Final Fantasy 7 couldn't become one.

I'll always have my copies of the PS1 version, so I can always play the original if I wanted to, but I don't, I want to see the world of FF7 be turned into something that can hang with modern day games. I want the world of FF7 to be as immersive as a Yakuza game or as God of War.

Although Square Enix shat out a turd with FFXV, I give them the benefit of the doubt with FF7RE.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I think it's a scam i made another post on it. I'm going to try and find it to copy paste.

Edit: Found it.

Lol, i was thinking the opposite. I think FF7RE is an elaborate scam.

So at this point everyone and their grand mother knows the story to FF7. That means that the game will AT LEAST need 3 parts to tell the full story.

It took 5 years to make part 1 so we are looking at roughly a total of 15 years to make the whole thing.

This is nonsense. I believe, that Square SAID they were going to make it episodic to boost sales. Because if they said " we are just making a Midgar spinoff" a lot of people wouldn't purchase the game.

Now historically, episodic games never sold very well barring a few games ( Life is strange and TWD). Squares own " Hitman" was an utter failure,so much so that Square sold off the IP to warner bros. Resident evil revelations 1 and 2 sales pale compared to the main series sales.

Also, as with any episodic game, there is player fall off. Not everyone who buys part 1 will buy part 2. Either because they didn"t like it, never finished it, lost interest , don't own the console etc...Therefore with each subsequent game, Square will sell LESS copies making less money.

And the fact that this is ONE STORY cut into multiple peices, playing previous parts is a NECESSITY and a huge time investment . These aren't 2 hour TWD episodes, they are 50 fucking hour long rpgs.

The whole model makes absolutely 0 fucking sense from jump. I * puts on tin foil hat* think the whole think is a elaborate con and Square has no intention of making any games after the Midgar part.

They are going to sell part midgar, make a BUTTLOAD of money and then just make up a reason why the series won't be continuing.

But that's just a theory.

A few other things.

This game, if it does ever come to be, would span over 2 if not 3 console generations. The ps4, ps5 and MAYBE the ps6. 15 years minimun. March 2020 will be year 5. So we should be seeing part 3 in 2030 on the ps6 lol.

Also, people will Inevitably wait for Final fantasy Remake "the complete set" or "the story thus far" ( Thanks Kingdom hearts). Which makes sense because why the hell would i buy 1/3 of a story? Especially a story I ALREADY KNOW?

The whole thing is lunacy.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Lufia Erim said:
So at this point everyone and their grand mother knows the story to FF7.
Which makes sense because why the hell would i buy 1/3 of a story? Especially a story I ALREADY KNOW?
Silentpony said:
Never played the original, literally couldn't care less about the remake

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Prediction: it's going to be a mess. Every mainline FF has had the recurring issue of a messy production cycle and this will be no different. This is not the Square of 20 years ago when they were at the height of creativity and competence, this is the Square of today wherein they cannot get their main series out without a fiasco. The only part of FF that's competently made nowadays is FFXIV (and even that required a full relaunch) because it's such a cash cow that Yoshida can't be messed with.

Overall, this smacks of Square throwing up its hands and saying "We give up. We are NEVER going to surpass VII so we're just going to remake it to wallow in the memory of our glory days." Except it's not going to bring back their glory days, all they're going to do is make things worse. This is like an old, washed up rock band bringing out a redundant greatest hits album

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Feeling wary. The combat looks very similar to FFXV, which favoured spectacle over depth and felt unsatisfying.

I really don't want them to incorporate all the nonsensical compilation bollocks, which was utterly irrelevant to the story and only devalued the original-- shit like Genesis Rhapidash or whatever his name was.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Aiddon said:
Overall, this smacks of Square throwing up its hands and saying "We are NEVER going to surpass VII..."
Ironically, that was their excuse for not making a FFVII remake: A remake with better graphics would disappoint expectations and would never be at the level of the original game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Aiddon said:
Overall, this smacks of Square throwing up its hands and saying "We are NEVER going to surpass VII..."
Ironically, that was their excuse for not making a FFVII remake: A remake with better graphics would disappoint expectations and would never be at the level of the original game.
Yeah, it was Wada's line of thinking that there was no point to remaking VII until they had surpassed it. And they haven't. Over twenty years and no mainline entry has come within spitting distance of it, let alone surpassing it. It's just hung over them like a cloud (heh)

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I wouldn't get my hopes up. They don't even know how many parts they wanna make. And that just doesn't bode well. It's probably their most anticipated project ever and their approach is "Eh, we'll figure it out as we go along?" Doesn't exactly inspire much confidence, does it?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I wouldn't get my hopes up. They don't even know how many parts they wanna make. And that just doesn't bode well. It's probably their most anticipated project ever and their approach is "Eh, we'll figure it out as we go along?" Doesn't exactly inspire much confidence, does it?
While it's possible to make something amazing out of "I figured it out while I went along", those are normally projects under the control of a single person(like a book) or a small team. Something as massive as the FF7 remake needs planning and coordination. Like, the script, or at least a very good plan/roadmap detailing the way ahead.

If they don't know how this is going to go this close to the first game coming out, we may not see it now, but it'll be very, very noticeable by the time the 2nd game drops in a few years. Pacing issues, plot holes, production delays, you name it. Development Hell, with the emphasis on the HELL part.

ebalosus

Mar 14, 2011
While it looks good, I have concerns regarding RPG progression between parts, as I have yet to find an example where a developer did this right, if at all.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The episodic thing's bound to be a terrible mess. A lot of the FFs (and related games) have kind of quesitonable pacing, but yeah, after Midgar through to prettymuch the climactic finale seems like it'd be utterly disjointed presented as some kind of structured narrative. Keep in mind there is for instance, an entire continent that is completely optional in this game originally.

Mechanics wise, Square's had trouble ever getting a firm footing in the ARPG stuff they keep trying on. And 7 was already one of the more questionable mechanical outings in the series. All the oddball slot management, excessive grinds, and man-could-you-tell-strategy-guides-we-sell-are-a-thing now ability "quests" just to largely hit the same baseline notes of their ATB.

And yeah, I can't imagine a big reception in the fanbase. Just to keep everything in some kind of reasonable production cost frame, I'd wager it's going to mainly hit Cloud's story beats (Midgar, maybe Nibelheim(?) then the Sephiroth plot once it actually kicks in and end up with most of the rest ditched or highly compressed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Meh?

I mean, if there's a demo, and I can try out the combat for myself, maybe I'll get hyped, but...I have trouble caring when they're like "hey, yuo loved the original...now let us screw with every element that made it a hit!"

Squilookle said:
If they replace his stupid pizza paddle with an actual sword I might consider it...
That's dumb. How is Cloud supposed to get his pizza out of the oven without his Buster Sword!

Lufia Erim said:
It took 5 years to make part 1 so we are looking at roughly a total of 15 years to make the whole thing.
Not necessarily. The've got the groundwork and engine, so unless they reinvent themselves for every game...well, that would be a very Quenix thing to do, so maybe.

We also don't know how many installments are "planned" do we? Because this doesn't even cover disc one.

I don't know...it sounds like a scam, but I don't think it's the one you think. This is a prim opportunity too squeeze 60 fdollars out of fanboys every year or two, further dilluting the story.

Of course, no matter their intent, if this one were to somehow bomb, I'm sure they'd drop it.