How does everyone feel about the final fantasy 7 remake

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Very hyped. Already have it pre-ordered b/c I want it sooooo bad. I'm pretty certain it will sell a huge number but still slightly worried Squeenix will stay invested in the project. It wouldn't be the first time they bite off more than they can chew. Though with engine, main character models and pre-existing assets in place the production process will probably go a lot smoother. Kinda disagree Squeenix gave up trying to make a game better than FF7 as the remake elaborates so much on the original game in both scale and scope that it is it's own thing entirely. The graphics and animations are also simply insane. FF7 was such a huge event for me back in 1997 that even having Midgar remade in Remake form is a dream come true.

Feb 7, 2016
If I had something else they were making to look forward to, I'd be upset they are putting time into this remake, because I'm not too sure it'll turn out great.

However, since I can't think of anything else they would be making that I'd care about, and the fact that even if this remake bombs the original is always going to exist and still be good, I'm not too concerned, and actually very interested to see how it turns out.

I'm cautious. At worst, my suspicions are true and I'll only be slightly disappointed. Otherwise the game could turn out good and I'd be very surprised and happy to play it.

They are playing with fire though. FF7 (and X) make up a decent chunk of my teenaged years gaming, so they're very near to my heart. Again, the originals will always exist, but the hope is that the remake will basically make what we were imagining the super cool fights to look like to be reality.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I will have the representative of the Neutral Planet answer this for me:
Put more bluntly, I don't care. If this turns out ok, I might give it a go. If not, whatever, the original is still around and probably more ubiquitous than ever, what with being available and/or playable on like a dozen platforms. Nothing would be lost.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
On the one hand, cool, never played FF VII, good an opportunity to finally do so.
On the other... it's episodic? Nobody knows how many or release dates? Fuck it then.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Johnny Novgorod said:
On the one hand, cool, never played FF VII, good an opportunity to finally do so.
On the other... it's episodic? Nobody knows how many or release dates? Fuck it then.
Apparently it will be split into two parts, with the 2nd part being for next-gen consoles. That is my main beef with VII. Otherwise, the combat looks like a better version of XV's, and a mix of KH3 & DMC. If I do get it, the combat alone might satisfy me enough. I just hope other publishers, more so the Western ones, do no start using Squeenix's idea in the worst way possible.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Apparently it will be split into two parts, with the 2nd part being for next-gen consoles. That is my main beef with VII. Otherwise, the combat looks like a better version of XV's, and a mix of KH3 & DMC. If I do get it, the combat alone might satisfy me enough. I just hope other publishers, more so the Western ones, do no start using Squeenix's idea in the worst way possible.
2 Parts? Is there an official(or at least, a very reliable) source on that? Because last I heard SE didn't know how many parts they planned to make it.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Dalisclock said:
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
2 Parts? Is there an official(or at least, a very reliable) source on that? Because last I heard SE didn't know how many parts they planned to make it.
There is no announcement, or even rumored information of the FF7 remake being two parts. There isn't even information stating that parts 2 and beyond will be PS5. I don't know where this information is coming from but it's just guessing and nothing more.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dalisclock said:
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
https://www.cnet.com/news/e3-2019-square-enix-explains-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

You're both welcome, Daislock and CriticalGaming.

EDIT: These are not rumors. I'm surprised neither of you knew about this. Hey, it happens. There's plenty of times I did not know about certain gameplay features added,removed, or changed.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CoCage said:
Dalisclock said:
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
https://www.cnet.com/news/e3-2019-square-enix-explains-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

EDIT: These are not rumors. I'm surprised neither of you knew about this. Hey, it happens. There's plenty of times I did not know about certain gameplay features added,removed, or changed.
HOLY HOLY HOLY HOLY HOLY HOLY HOLY HOLY FUCK!!!!!

DUDE I was having a dog shit week and you just made my day. Thank you CoCage!

EDIT: Oh I did see this. That article is wrong, or at least inconsistant with revealed information. The article claims it'll be 2 parts but there is no information in the article in which Square specifically says it would be 2 parts. The article was also written on June 11th, the same week as E3 in which Kitase said that they still have not fully planned out the game and have no idea how many parts the game will be. Max even states that in the video you linked.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
CritialGaming said:
CoCage said:
Dalisclock said:
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

EDIT: Oh I did see this. That article is wrong, or at least inconsistant with revealed information. The article claims it'll be 2 parts but there is no information in the article in which Square specifically says it would be 2 parts. The article was also written on June 11th, the same week as E3 in which Kitase said that they still have not fully planned out the game and have no idea how many parts the game will be. Max even states that in the video you linked.
It says 2 blu ray discs, but that might just mean that the first episode is on 2 blu rays, not the full game. All the information I've seen is pretty much that SE has no idea how many episodes it'll be or they do, they're not telling..

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
CritialGaming said:
CoCage said:
Dalisclock said:
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

I was putting together what I lasted bookmarked. If it's not 2 parts, I am still not keen on the multiple episodes. I'll see how it goes first before I pass too much judgement on it.

I am glad to make you happy this week. Be blessed and stay safe.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Something Amyss said:

I don't know...it sounds like a scam, but I don't think it's the one you think. This is a prim opportunity too squeeze 60 fdollars out of fanboys every year or two, further dilluting the story.
I feel like, if Square wanted to do that, they'd just get 3 development teams to make yearly ( or every 2 years) installments of Numbered Final fantasy games. I mean their games don't follow an overarching story between games so it wouldn't be all this difficult (relatively speaking)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
I feel like, if Square wanted to do that, they'd just get 3 development teams to make yearly ( or every 2 years) installments of Numbered Final fantasy games. I mean their games don't follow an overarching story between games so it wouldn't be all this difficult (relatively speaking)
That's ultimately the biggest problem with FF: Square can't decide what they want to do with it. They don't know whether they want this to be out all the time or they want it to be their, big prestige title that comes out once a generation. As such, right now they have the worst of both worlds in that it takes forever for titles to come out but they are horrendously sloppy, unfocused, and clearly committee-designed.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
ebalosus said:
While it looks good, I have concerns regarding RPG progression between parts, as I have yet to find an example where a developer did this right, if at all.
Does Quest For Glory count? I mean I know it's not an episodic series in the usual sense, but you could very much play a character from title to title without issue (and occasionally with benefits that couldn't be otherwise achieved). You could also drop in at any title in the series and go from there without issue.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It looks like Kingdom Hearts style combat, which I don't care for, made by modern Square Enix, which I have not heard good things about since apparently FF XV was kind of a mess, spread out over multiple games, which I think is a mistake, for a game I'm mildly interested in (enough to have bought the original for Switch) but don't have a huge nostalgic attachment for, I was a IV and VI boy.

So generally apathetic and half expecting it to be a dumpster fire.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
erttheking said:
It looks like Kingdom Hearts style combat, which I don't care for, made by modern Square Enix, which I have not heard good things about since apparently FF XV was kind of a mess, spread out over multiple games, which I think is a mistake, for a game I'm mildly interested in (enough to have bought the original for Switch) but don't have a huge nostalgic attachment for, I was a IV and VI boy.

What makes it KH combat? The stopping time slow motion? The need to charge meter in order to use abilities? The instant ability to swap to a different character to control? The ability to hotkey not only actions for the character you are controlling but everyone else in the party as well? The fact that the AI will not just throw out abilities and magic on their own and must be told to do so by the player? The materia customization allowing for custom combos of magics?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
CritialGaming said:
erttheking said:

What makes it KH combat? The stopping time slow motion? The need to charge meter in order to use abilities? The instant ability to swap to a different character to control? The ability to hotkey not only actions for the character you are controlling but everyone else in the party as well? The fact that the AI will not just throw out abilities and magic on their own and must be told to do so by the player? The materia customization allowing for custom combos of magics?
Sorry I wasn?t clear. All those mechanics are layered on a type of engine and gameplay style that I never liked because it felt too floaty and lacking in impact. Those new mechanics don?t change that I just don?t like the foundation that much.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
erttheking said:
Sorry I wasn?t clear. All those mechanics are layered on a type of engine and gameplay style that I never liked because it felt too floaty and lacking in impact. Those new mechanics don?t change that I just don?t like the foundation that much.
Square has had this recurring issue with being unable to decide whether combat systems be turn-based or real-time. As such, it just looks like a clusterfuck

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Has anyone else never really liked Cloud's redesigned model compared to the original? His hair is so much less spikey and looks kind of lame.

CaitSeith said:
Lufia Erim said:
So at this point everyone and their grand mother knows the story to FF7.
Which makes sense because why the hell would i buy 1/3 of a story? Especially a story I ALREADY KNOW?
Silentpony said:
Never played the original, literally couldn't care less about the remake

I'm not seeing where there is absolutely a contradiction here. Silentpony only stated that he had never played the original not that he necessarily didn't know the story. I'd be willing to be that he could at least name a couple of the major characters and story beats, they've been referenced so often.