How does New Vegas "Railroad" You?

Aug 20, 2011
Is this really something people criticize New Vegas for? I felt it was one of the improvements over Fallout 3 that the narrative had a little more structure. It's not like it's very linear, even at that point in the game. I mean, railroading? What do they call Final Fantasy, tightroping?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
hoboman29 said:
Doesn't Fallout 3 do the same thing with Liam Nesson (take that fanboys) first its go to Megaton then go to GNR then to Rivet City then to Vault 112 then to the next thing and the next thing. Why is this relevant you may ask? Well the people who say that tend to be Fallout 3 fans and sometimes fanboys need to be reminded x game isn't perfect. So what if New Vegas does the same thing you could just stop doing the main story and explore the world and even then after the half way mark in New Vegas the rest of the map is now "open"
Strangely enough, I've never been to GNR in Fallout 3. If you explore just a tiny bit you can get pointed straight from Megaton to Rivet City (GNR isn't the only way to get the Rivet City quest pointer).

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
JaceArveduin said:
Just took my shit loads of mods off for a clean playthrough after a year or so, and it's an eye opener. I'd forgotten how stupid hard it was to kill some things when you had starter gear, even when you're pouring rounds into it's head.

Of course, my mods made the game the exact opposite, getting hit beforehand hurt like a *****.
The real answer is not fighting those things when you have starter gear. Didn't follow the main plot (like TES games, Fallout's other than 1 have a main plot that's more about something to do when you get bored) -- found a survivable route to Vegas instead (sounds like the one above, following the tracks, barely clipping Nipton, etc), after visiting Vegas, the whole undergeared thing was less of a problem.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Schadrach said:
The real answer is not fighting those things when you have starter gear. Didn't follow the main plot (like TES games, Fallout's other than 1 have a main plot that's more about something to do when you get bored) -- found a survivable route to Vegas instead (sounds like the one above, following the tracks, barely clipping Nipton, etc), after visiting Vegas, the whole undergeared thing was less of a problem.
Yeah, I had the realistic headshots mod and some other mod that increased all gun damage, so while killing things wasn't hard, it was really easy to get killed too. I mean seriously, do you realize how accurate the fiends are at a range?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I love that the game was hard at the start of New Vegas. Reminds me of Morrorwind in that respect. You slowly branch out and slowly explore your local environment. It helps put you in the game as a real person than some fps god that can kill everything. I've had people hate Vegas because they play it like a fps and die within 3 seconds and blame the game as shit. When its them that are playing it wrong.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Honestly, I kinda call bullshit on the whole thing too. Whenever I start a new game of NV, the first thing I do (even before the Goodsprings quests) is head up north to gamble for enough money to buy implants. It definitely can be done, you just have to play smart.

Also, I'm going to call shenanigans on it being any different from the other main-series Fallout titles. All of them are open-world and let you go wherever you want to go, but in all of them you encounter far easier enemies if you follow the story path than if you veer straight for the end-game areas. In Fallout 2 if you travel straight from Arroyo down to San Francisco you're probably going to get turned into a fine red mist by the first Enclave patrol or creature ambush you encounter. And yet, even then, it's still completely do-able. I've gone from Arroyo to the end credits screen in about an hour before without use of any cheats.

If anything, New Vegas is less railroad-y than the original games since you can give enemies you can't handle a wide berth, unlike the random encounters in the original games.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I don't really see the problem here. It takes all of half an hour to find a grenade launcher (less with GRA added on), and between that and a few other weapons, you can take on either the cazadors or few errant deathclaws directly between Goodsprings and New Vegas, if you're smart about how you do it. Or, head over to Nipton, then up the rail line. One blind deathclaw, some wolves/foxes, and a couple of raiders, and you're there. Less, if you know how to avoid them. The storyline gives you time to build yourself up, and gain some allies, so that you can get about and learn to take care of yourself, but if you know what you're doing, you'll be fine.

The DLC railroads you more than the main game, since there's usually only one path through, less choices, and more of the "you'll never know you already failed a quest until it's loooong since past having the option" *coughcoughDeadMoneycough*. There's a challenge to it, yeah, but it's not that hard, all things considered. Especially with the enemies that level, where it's easier to take them out at a relatively low level. Level 50 deathclaws in lonesome road, anyone?

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
Schadrach said:
JaceArveduin said:
Just took my shit loads of mods off for a clean playthrough after a year or so, and it's an eye opener. I'd forgotten how stupid hard it was to kill some things when you had starter gear, even when you're pouring rounds into it's head.

Of course, my mods made the game the exact opposite, getting hit beforehand hurt like a *****.
WAIT there's a way to avoid ever having to talk to Three Dog? That would have been nice to know I hate that guy

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
They're not a deathtrap once you know what you're doing. But when you first start playing the game, if you go any direction other then south, it's a 100% death trap. And even when you do know what you're doing, a low level character will have little to no chance when confronted by Cazadores, Giant Radscorpions and Deathclaws. Sneak isn't very effective until 50-60, and the weapons you get are ineffective against heavily armored foes. Certainly, if you use vats correctly to debilitate your enemies (shooting legs/wings), you might be able to run past, but you'll more then likely run into something else. I've made the run, in fact, I made a character a couple weeks ago, that went into The Divide at level 2, and managed to get almost all the way to the end (where he was assaulted by 3 deathclaws, and I can guarantee that at that point there was no way to kill them).

So, if you don't want your first few hours of the game to be a harrowing mess full of saving, loading and dying, you're forced to go south to primm, then south along the road past the police station, either past or into mojave outpost, around past Nipton (again, you can go off the beaten path, but you'll probably run into Giant Scorps, that can be really annoying at low levels), and then up to Novac.

I've started more new characters then I can remember, 20-30 at least, and 90% of them have gone the beaten path just because it's the most natural way to go. You just don't start with the ammo/supplies required to play the game in any other way, and if you're playing a melee character, good fucking luck going north.

It's a railroad.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
I have heard that criticism many times and never have I understood it. Some things you just aren't ready for when you start the game or don't know what you are doing.

It's also seems like people have forgotten how absolutely atrocious Oblivions level scaling was. (and FO 3's to a point)

Akalabeth said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Akalabeth said:
I dunno about railroading but I do very much hate the fact that there are invisible walls in the middle of the map!! (around Black Mountain) If there's a hill in the game that I could climb in RL I should be able to climb it in the game.

But, besides that playing the game now and I enjoy it.

I don't know that the game "railroads you". It forces you to take the scenic route which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing.
Oh urgh, I hated those invisible walls. Get in my way and stop me from taking the easiest route to where I wanted to go even though I had planned it out fine besides for those walls I didn't know about until I hit them...

Did love the game though.
Well I don't think Fallout 3 had any invisible walls. So, in that respect FO3 wins...
Except for the un-climbable rubble in and around DC and that cemetery area.

Akalabeth said:
Actually the biggest failing of this game by far in my opinion is not the encouraged path, nor the invisible walls, it's these stupidass "assassination squads".

Some squad of guys comes from over the horizon directly to your character and attacks? Wtf? Whatever happened to stealth? Whatever happened to playing a character a certain way? I run a character who's more evasion and uses light armour. I just get murdered by these troops. If I have a weaker companion like Cass she gets murdered too in about 5 seconds. Couple NPCs like the food vendors south of Vegas got caught up in a fight and murdered too.

Complete nonsense. It's basically a random encounter within a specified zone in what is supposed to be an open world game.

I don't mind the idea of assassination squads, but just have them operate within an area and have the player able to avoid them just like EVERY OTHER ENEMY IN THE GAME.

Now THAT is friggin railroading. It's akin to the boss battles in Deus Ex Human Revolution, except, the assassination squads are even more annoying.
So, your complaint is that assassination squads are out to get you?

Here's a thought, how about you don't piss off factions that you can't handle?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Akalabeth said:
I dunno about railroading but I do very much hate the fact that there are invisible walls in the middle of the map!! (around Black Mountain) If there's a hill in the game that I could climb in RL I should be able to climb it in the game.

But, besides that playing the game now and I enjoy it.

I don't know that the game "railroads you". It forces you to take the scenic route which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing.
Yea, the invisible walls bothered me more (is a greater example of railroading) than being encouraged to go around the south.
I like scenic routs too but that route should've had a couple of deeper locations. If something like Vault 11 (the weird one with the election) was settled down there, the trip would be more palatable.
The whole game needed more locations like Vault 11 and less like Ruins Of A Shack.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Supernova1138 said:
I believe people will consider it railroading when you set the game up so it is extremely difficult to go any other path. What New Vegas has is a bunch of enemies that would be considered Beef Gates [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeefGate] set up on all routes aside from the story route out of Goodsprings. You have to be above a certain level to be able to defeat the enemies on all routes except the story route.

As you said, it is possible to slip by the enemies if you are careful, but you stand little chance of survival if you have to fight. This is a form of soft railroading, the area isn't sealed off or completely inaccessible until you hit Level X, it just means that you are unlikely to survive a trip into the area until you hit Level X.
this. New vegas is designed so that 99.9% of people will take the south route, even if they don't want to, so that they go to the NCR and Caesar's legion meet and greet. In Fallout 3, after leaving the vault, just about any path you take is valid and will only get you killed if you're stupid. It doesn't try to force you into a specific path.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Hargrimm said:
So, your complaint is that assassination squads are out to get you?

Here's a thought, how about you don't piss off factions that you can't handle?
The complaint is they make a robotic beeline for your location. No ambush attempt. No realism. No way to COUNTER ambush properly. They just run for your location. Fucking tirelessly. Day or night. They walk. Just WALK exactly to where you are. Doesnt matter what backend of the wasteland you are. They dont search. Or hunt. They just make a direct path to your face and march until they get there. Its kind of immersion breaking. I dont feel hunted. I feel like the AI from an incredibly shittier game went "GUEST APPEARANCE :D PSYCHIC ASSASSINS!"

Fallout has the potential for some incredibly smart combat play and ambushing. Hell a legitimate strategy would be to hide and let the assassins miss you or go past. But no. The AI is designed to take a complex combat situation and go "SMUSHY SMUSH SHOOT FIGHT NOW!" and force you to take that one direct route. Completely removes room for tactical decisions.