How does the Death Star move?

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
The Death Star.You know, the massive battle station from Star Wars. Its the size of a small moon. It would need some massive engines to get around. But half the thing is taken up by the laser and it doesn't have the glowing blue engines like every other ship in star wars. So how does it get around?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Uh...orbit? The force?

Fuck if I know, just go with it, man.

It's the same with the whole "Why didn't Gandalf send Frodo on the Eagles rather than walking" thing. Don't question it.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
...It doesn't. It's a space station that can fire a laser beam across the galaxy. It's just in an orbit.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
They have a very tiny pole on the outside that one Storm Trooper in a spacesuit (With space jetpack, for propulsion) uses to turn it.

And yes, his pay sucks.

While I doubt this to be true, it would be funny if it was.

As for a serious answer... I dunno, really powerful unnoticeable space propulsion engines?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I dont think so. If I remember right, the Death Star floated and used a series of small coasting thrusters on the hull to move. It wouldnt need giant engines to move because its a floating fortress with thousands of men and hundreds of ships. Plus its giant planet destroying laser, it wouldnt necessarily have to run more so just slightly thrust to the left or right to avoid something (if even need be) or just move to a different section of space.

Besides that, I'm sure it has a lightspeed generator on it.

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
Hyperspace [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_%28science_fiction%29#Star_Wars] and planetary gravity (aka slingshot) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingshot_effect] (the Death Star used a slingshot in 'A New Hope' to get into a targeting position for the rebel base).

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Actually, if you think about it, in terms of a space vacuum, it doesn't require a massive engine. A small ion based engine (while being incredibly silly for something of that size) inevitably would accelerate it to a reasonable speed.

Remember, all that is required is any force to move it, and inertia will continue it's path until it hits orbit.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I think the laser cannon doubled as a hyper-drive. That's my theory anyway. Based on Hyperdrive technology, it looks like any ship could jump into hyperspace without the crew getting floored or even noticing so, it isn't that far-fetched to think the station could move around like that.

Once the Deathstar has reached the desired system, it would orbit it's targeted world. I think they cover how it 'moves' though in one of those huge ass books you see at the book store. Actually isn't there a schematic of it in one of those?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Engines running on a large supply of plotdeviceium.

Does it really matter? It just needs to move, never mind how. It wouldn't be much of a threat if it didn't.

"Hey - Rebel Scum! Would you be so kind as to come to this system here, and line up all of your ships right here in front of our giant doomsday laser? Thanks a bunch!"

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Uh...orbit? The force?

Fuck if I know, just go with it, man.

It's the same with the whole "Why didn't Gandalf send Frodo on the Eagles rather than walking" thing. Don't question it.
I am so happy I am not the only one who asked that!
I say the death star moves via Vaders stationary bike

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if it just floated around or had small propulsion engines to get it from planet to planet.

emeraldrafael said:
it wouldnt necessarily have to run more so just slightly thrust to the left or right to avoid something (if even need be) or just move to a different section of space.
Avoid what? If I drove Death Star I would just blow up anything that would hit it.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
redbeta22 said:
The Death Star.You know, the massive battle station from Star Wars. Its the size of a small moon. It would need some massive engines to get around. But half the thing is taken up by the laser and it doesn't have the glowing blue engines like every other ship in star wars. So how does it get around?
No, actually would take very little force to move it at all.
Because it's in the vacuum of space it's free from most forces that resist movement. If the space station is stationary that means all forces acting on it are equal in all directions.

So, it would take only the tiniest bit of unbalance to cause it to move.

So, really, a small rocket could move it, just not incredibly quickly.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
Engines running on a large supply of plotdeviceium.

Does it really matter? It just needs to move, never mind how. It wouldn't be much of a threat if it didn't.

"Hey - Rebel Scum! Would you be so kind as to come to this system here, and line up all of your ships right here in front of our giant doomsday laser? Thanks a bunch!"
Plotdeviceium,
Is that a similar element to Plotonium?