How does Vegatarianism stop global warming?

Hainted

Jul 27, 2008
Actually if we stopped hunting cows eventually they would reach an equilibrium with the other animals around them. The only animal where there is never an equilibrium reached between the animals are humans.[/quote]
But even reaching equilibrium they would require large amounts of grazing land to sustain themselves.Plus letting them run wild would cause more problems.I grew up around cows and let me tell you they're not something you want running wild and trying to cross the freeway.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Chartic said:
Actually if we stopped hunting cows eventually they would reach an equilibrium with the other animals around them. The only animal where there is never an equilibrium reached between the animals are humans.
Hunting cows? I hope you are joking, I'm pretty tired. The arguments on this subject often veer off so quickly into fantasy la-la land and irrelevance that it's hard to know who is serious.

Quotation Marx

Jun 29, 2009
"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." -James M.Inhofe

Iracundia

Jun 29, 2009
Hainted said:
I mean all those animals and grazing land won't disappear magically and they'll just continue to breed and increase their numbers contributing more gasses to the atmosphere.
I would think the farm animals would all just be immediately slaughtered and probably eaten (or burnt but that would add to Carbon Dioxide emissions, or buried but that would take up too much space and time, etc) to make use of the grazing land elsewhere such as crop growing.

http://www.sciencenewsblog.com/cgi-bin/snblog.pl?snblog=1211061 = Science News Blog - 'massive number of cows on earth contributing to global warming'. Bit of reading for anyone who's intrested

Quote "Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together."

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Quotation Marx said:
"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." -James M.Inhofe
Judging by your name versus your post, I think I'm gonna like you. Welcome to the Escapist.

Tesahli

Oct 24, 2007
samaritan.squirrel said:
Also, rearing an animal takes a lot of food that we could just eat ourselves.
I don't know about you, but I don't eat grass or chicken seed.

Tesahli

Oct 24, 2007
More Fun To Compute said:
Tesahli said:
samaritan.squirrel said:
Also, rearing an animal takes a lot of food that we could just eat ourselves.
I don't know about you, but I don't eat grass or chicken seed.
Most farm animals are fed on crops like corn or soy.
Whenever I see cows, and I see a lot of cows, they're on grazing land eating grass. Chickens, maybe, but they can survive on seed just fine as well.

Bucket0Bones

Feb 19, 2009
Thats a ridiculous claim. If anything it is speeding up global warming because the amount of methane that animals let off is quite high. So, by not eating animals they are contributing towards global warming.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Hainted said:
Gooble said:
There'd be absolutely no need for any breeds that provide meat, so they'd all get slaughtered because they're taking up all the farmland that could be used to grow veg. Temporarily ironic I know.

Like someone was saying in another thread, if we ate polar bears they wouldn't be endangered. If we stopped eating beef cattle say then they would probably become endangered-all the meat poachers wanting to kill them for a start.
so now humanity decides which animals are "needed".I hope you realize we didn't magic up any of these animals,but only domesticated their wild ancestors.And it's not ironic it's called being a hypocrite.you either protect ALL the animals or NONE of the animals.
You can theoretically "save" all the animals, but some species are harder to save than others. We do, however, decide which animals to treat favorably, mainly on how cute they are. (You never hear people exclaim "save the monk fish!" because it's ugly.)

If we want to stop the cows from producing methane, we have to stop buying beef. We can still eat beef, we just have to make breeding large numbers of cows unprofitable. Do the Earth a favor and start rustling cattle!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Tesahli said:
Whenever I see cows, and I see a lot of cows, they're on grazing land eating grass. Chickens, maybe, but they can survive on seed just fine as well.
It isn't their natural diet but factory farming isn't about providing a natural diet or environment. Do you inspect factory farms for a living or do you just see some farm animals from your car?

Tesahli

Oct 24, 2007
randommaster said:
Hainted said:
Gooble said:
There'd be absolutely no need for any breeds that provide meat, so they'd all get slaughtered because they're taking up all the farmland that could be used to grow veg. Temporarily ironic I know.

Like someone was saying in another thread, if we ate polar bears they wouldn't be endangered. If we stopped eating beef cattle say then they would probably become endangered-all the meat poachers wanting to kill them for a start.
so now humanity decides which animals are "needed".I hope you realize we didn't magic up any of these animals,but only domesticated their wild ancestors.And it's not ironic it's called being a hypocrite.you either protect ALL the animals or NONE of the animals.
You can theoretically "save" all the animals, but some species are harder to save than others. We do, however, decide which animals to treat favorably, mainly on how cute they are. (You never hear people exclaim "save the monk fish!" because it's ugly.)

If we want to stop the cows from producing methane, we have to stop buying beef. We can still eat beef, we just have to make breeding large numbers of cows unprofitable. Do the Earth a favor and start rustling cattle!
I do remember though when PETA decided they wanted to go after fishing and started the "Sea-Kittens" campaign in a hope to change the image of fish to something more adorable and likable. As far as I can tell, in terms of their group goals it was a horrible failure, though in terms of giving Internet-cynics something to laugh at, it was a great success.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
We're all gonna die sooner or later, so why try to force all this bullcrap on us anyway?

We should just respect our environment, eat in moderation, treat the animals with dignity and ignore all vegetarians who have a "holier than thou" attitude.

Those animals would get eaten in the wild in horrible, disgusting ways. So if anything, me eating them is just a part of nature. Thank you.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Cows make methane, therefore we must eat all the cows to save the world. At your grills, men!
/amusingstupidity