How easy was it for you to choose what career you wanted?

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Back in high school, I wanted to do everything, I consumed knowledge on almost every subject, took advanced courses and for first year of college was still adamant about having a wide range of things to pick from but then I started cooking.

A lot. I loved it, it was so fun. So, I'm finishing this year in Biochemistry studies with no degree to go to Culinary school. I'm going for Executive Chef/Owner for restaurant.

OT, But this what this subject reminded me of.

Apr 24, 2008
derelict said:
I ended up with auto technology, got in the field and found out I hated my boss, so changed companies several times with the same issues. As of now, I work on cars on the side and do more menial things that pay well for my main job. Works out better when I'm not weighing how much jail time is worth beating the crap out of a useless arrogant snob.

Also, if you're not sure, I'd recommend going to be a CPA for a main career. Everyone needs them, and the pay is almost ridiculous given what little labor is involved - that gives you money to fuel your hobbies.
CPA? Please enlighten me.
MiracleOfSound said:
It was easy for me to pick music because I'm completely useless at everything else I've ever tried.
Are you able to make a living from it?

llew

Sep 9, 2009
i like helping people im also an adrenaline junkie, so army or police were my choices, im asthmatic so i can't do army therefore i chose police... simples

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Not very easy at all.
In fact, I still don't know what I want to do for a living and I'm 21. I just can't force myself to commit to one field of study no matter what it is. It looks like I'm just going to get an associate of science and/or arts degrees and just have a broad selection of fields to work in.

Abbyrose07

Mar 31, 2010
I still can't decide and am still going to school...I changed my major like 3 times and am 25...that is why I work at Target atm...lol. But I think I got it sorted out...finally.

steph01a

Jan 5, 2011
Easy for me. I was born into it. We own a large family farm/horse ranch and since my parents 'retired' I manage it.

:)

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
Yeah. I can relate to you. I'm going to finish school in a few months and go to college. My problem isn't exactly knowing what I want to do, but it's the will to try and execute it. I want to be an actor. Preferable a voice actor, for video games and stuff. The problem is that I have no idea of knowing if I'll be successful in this department, so in case I try and fail I need to have something to fall back on.

Thats where the trouble sets in. Sure, I don't need to go to College to become a voice actor, I need to go to acting school; which is expensive and Ireland isn't exactly charitable in terms of employment now. The only thing I can do is go to College. You could spend your entire life trying to learn what you're good at, the trick is to try everything until then. In school I tried writing, acting and video editing and I liked all of them. So I guess the only choice I now have is to go to college based on those skills.
What am I doing? Hopefully Arts,with English,Sociology and Psychology as subjects. In the meantime I'll do whatever acting I can, and learn and enjoy stuff in college as well, so thats all I have planned. My problem is I'm not 100% sure what to do with myself if this acting thing doesn't work out (and it might not work out).

I have some ideas though, being a Film/Music/Video Game Critic, as I love all 3 of those mediums. I'd also like to write scripts for films and even Lecture English! Silly isn't it?

Ok, waffle aside, I would say just to try anything you haven't tried before.Or look into more detail of the things you already like. Everyone is good at something, it's just a matter of finding out what it is.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
I'll let you know.
Honestly I have no fucking clue what I'd want to do if I could work, I'd probebly end up stacking shelves for the rest of my life :(

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
I erm... changed my major my senior year of university, then went an additional year ending up with a double major. Four years after graduating and working in my field, I left and became a teacher.

So yeah... I chose my career easily, but it's not my field any more.

Nuclear Pancake

Aug 29, 2009
This is funny because im going to an interview at a Veterinary University tomorrow, i didn't decide until half way through my first year of Sixth Form and I still wasn't sure then so i intend to follow this until I move on or love it. The best way to decide is do something such as get a job in a shop eventually something that you would rather do comes up and so on and so forth until before you know it, your doing something that makes you happy.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
Really hard, I went through two college courses to get where I am.

BTECT National Diploma in Forensic Science to start with (cause I liked CSI and Ace Attorney)
Level 3 CACHE A/C/D in Childcare and Education next because I love kids

Now I work in ICT desktop support for local authority...
Haha and you still have your degree thing in Childcare too. :p But I'm really happy you found what you enjoy my love. <3 I know you were struggling there for awhile.

And for me, I'm not 100% happy with the choice I went with. I was forced to make the decision when I really wanted to be a 2nd grade teacher. Oh and by the way I am a nurse.

RaDeuX

Feb 18, 2010
I've always known that I have an affinity for computer technology. But as I took more computer science classes, I realized I didn't want to do all that low-level architecture stuff. I actually want to build things and make them something accessible to the masses. Hence, I switched to a video game programming major, which is still essentially a CS major but with less technical courses like physics, math, and nitty-gritty computer stuff such as compiler design, analysis of algorithms, computational models, et cetera.

Physics Engine

Aug 18, 2010
It was easy to decide on a career initially, but there aren't many openings for Race Car Drivers and the test to be an astronaut was too tough.

Seriously though, be happy that you have choices that you can make.

At 18 my son was born, I left school and started working as an apprentice auto mechanic because I liked cars and had a box full of tools and no high school diploma. I took what was available and worked 60 hour weeks for over a decade. Once I was a licensed tech I noticed that I wasn't really making very much more money that as an apprentice. I decided that that was far too much work for too little reward and left to work with my father.

My father's company specializes in kitchen and bathroom design and I found that I really enjoyed the art and design side but not the sales side. It's odd going from a mechanic to an interior designer, but hey, thems the breaks.

I'm currently thinking about going into game design as I've built up a knack for seeing how both design and technical knowhow go together and I think I'd be a good fit for my skillset. Plus I love games. Hopefully it will work out.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Wait... You can choose? O.O

Meh, I just started working and ended up doing what I'm doing. like going for a stroll with no particular end in mind.. you still end up somewhere.

Seriously do some research on what fields have a shortage of workers and offer job security, pick a career in one of those. Too many unrealistic fuckers choose something totally irrelevant to the job market then end up working in a super market.

Edit: all the people talking about game design.. surely the no1 skill for that would be creative writing? so some sort of English degree? no?

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
DuctTapeJedi said:
Not hard. I like helping people. I like building stuff. I like Jesus.

Career in overseas construction based mission work and disaster relief.
Shock horror! Heretic! You have to LOVE Jesus!!! *Rawr!*

Kidding, of course.

OT: I just started as a first year psychology student and I'm still not 'sure' as to what I want to 'be when I grow up', so to speak.

RaDeuX

Feb 18, 2010
Continuity said:
all the people talking about game design.. surely the no1 skill for that would be creative writing? so some sort of English degree? no?
Programmers. They're almost always paid the most out of any of the other positions in a video game company.

With that being said, a programmer with a degree in creative writing would be invaluable to any software company, video game or not.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
Biosophilogical said:
DuctTapeJedi said:
Not hard. I like helping people. I like building stuff. I like Jesus.

Career in overseas construction based mission work and disaster relief.
Shock horror! Heretic! You have to LOVE Jesus!!! *Rawr!*
No! In my attempt at parallel sentence construction, I've committed blasphemy!

Continuity

May 20, 2010
RaDeuX said:
Continuity said:
all the people talking about game design.. surely the no1 skill for that would be creative writing? so some sort of English degree? no?
Programmers. They're almost always paid the most out of any of the other positions in a video game company.

With that being said, a programmer with a degree in creative writing would be invaluable to any software company, video game or not.
yeah but design and programming are two completely different things. unless the credits at the end of games lie. Do designers even do any programming? Surely its more storyboarding and dialogue trees, and gameplay mechanics..

RaDeuX

Feb 18, 2010
Continuity said:
RaDeuX said:
Continuity said:

yeah but design and programming are two completely different things. unless the credits at the end of games lie. Do designers even do any programming? Surely its more storyboarding and dialogue trees, and gameplay mechanics..
Programming and game design have a lot to do with each other. The developers communicate with the design team constantly throughout the entire project. The designers are limited to what they can put in the game with respect to the skills and resources that the development team possess.

In UCSC, they have a CSBS program that's labeled as computer game design. Hence is why programming is strongly related to video game design.