How far behind are you?

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
i only buy new games that i have been waiting ages for and will probably really really like. examples include last year's starcraft ii and FFXIII. this year, i intend to buy exactly one 2011 game. the rest will be old games from 2009 or earlier.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'm always behind! The only game I bought on release date is Starcraft 2 and even that I don't play much anymore.

I also recently bought Halo:Reach. Sue me will ya, I could only buy it now and it's better to buy it when it's not over-priced anyway...

I also just got Gears of War 1 from my friend!

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Beach_Sided said:
I admit that I'm well behind on games. I haven't yet played any of the games that have come out in the last 6 months, and I only just started playing 'Mass Effect' (the original) last week. The good thing though is that when I do look to play a 'new' game, it is usually less than 1/3rd the price of when it was released.

Am I the only one like this?
6 months?
Mass Effect came out over 3 years ago, you're farther behind than you think

but you haven't missed a lot, games sucked last year

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
There aren't many games that caught my attention due to lack of time to research games that are supposed to (or have) come out.

I hear there's a new Dynasty Warriors (7) coming out. I'm excited to try that one out. 6 was meh, 5 was pretty good.
Diablo 3, of course.
SC2 expansions.
That new Oblivion might be fun to try!

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I haven't played a game released in the past year, but nothing came out was worth $60 IMO. I'll probably pick a few up later for dirt cheap but I wish games would get out of the multiplayer FPS phase. It's fine to have one once in a while but I like diversity in my games!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I haven't purchased a new game since Golden Sun DD. I just don't have much time for PC/console games anymore.

In terms of being behind however, my youngest console is the Gamecube and my PC is a Core 2 Duo HP Pavilion.

I'll get a gaming PC at some point in the future but as for now, I'm a poor University student who manly only gets to game on the bus.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Sleekgiant said:
I have a back log of games that I need to play through, but damn TF2 is addicting.
See, I found the opposite.

TF2 was boring because all the maps were the same, and you couldn't be a sniper because every damn corner just led to another corner.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Oft-quoted unofficial rule of the forums: you are NEVER the only one.

I only just got my first current-gen system about two months ago. I have a ton of catching up to do. Also, fun fact: other than my sister's copy of BlOps, not one game in this house was made later than summer '09.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
World of Goo is my newest game. I have yet to play it, and I eagerly anticipate Portal 2.
AvsJoe said:
you are NEVER the only one.
Never never occurs; the chances are always simply low, but not nil.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Up until last May, I was in the same boat you are.

Then I happened to come across a little cash, and, well... my library of games grew by nearly 20. After LA Noire comes out, though, my spike in gaming purchases will end.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I buy games about as regularly as I always did (that is, not particularly often, maybe 5-10 a year), but I've still got a massive backlog of stuff I've hardly played. The reason is pretty obvious: hundreds of hours thrown into certain games - Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Oblivion, various plastic guitar games - it gets to the point where other things don't really get a look-in. Particularly when it's stuff that requires a serious commitment in terms of time and attention span, as shown by the four big JRPGs that I've started (and, in the case of FF13, got to at least half way) and abandoned due to the sheer scale of the things. Admittedly I expect Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery to remain abandoned - the former because it's too cartoony for my liking, the latter simply because I found it really tedious - but I'd love to find a gap in my schedule and sit down for a week to get Lost Odyssey done because... well, it's brilliant.

Of course, there's also the things that turn out to be awful or beyond my capabilities: Resident Evil 5 killed me in (literally) less than five minutes and I haven't picked it up since, I'm completely stuck on Prototype, the controls on Deadly Premonition made me want to eat the controller, Halo 3 and CoD4 have predictably shown my utter incompetence at the whole FPS genre... the list goes on.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Trolldor said:
Sleekgiant said:
I have a back log of games that I need to play through, but damn TF2 is addicting.
See, I found the opposite.

TF2 was boring because all the maps were the same, and you couldn't be a sniper because every damn corner just led to another corner.
Play Spy sometime, its way more fun.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'll buy RDR the day it is released but after ME2 I'm a little gunshy when it comes to buying on day one. I'll either wait for the price to drop or a Steam Sale, hell the only reason I bought New Vegas is the Christmas Steam sale. I was waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm really behind, I need to play like 8 games, not including replays. It's disgusting really, I look at my back log, while it's sitting there mocking me, and sigh.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Beach_Sided said:
I admit that I'm well behind on games. I haven't yet played any of the games that have come out in the last 6 months, and I only just started playing 'Mass Effect' (the original) last week. The good thing though is that when I do look to play a 'new' game, it is usually less than 1/3rd the price of when it was released.

Hello no you're not. PS2 bargain bins are heaven for me.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Beach_Sided said:

Just want to say, good work playing Mass Effect 1 before 2, you won't regret it for a second, I hope you enjoy it.

And to be honest, I scratch the surface of heaps of games, but there are few that I really get into, those I do I beat, but otherwise I just play and stop.

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
I didn't play Bayonetta or Enslaved: Odyssey to the West until December of 2010. I was squeezing as much gaming in as possible before I went back to university.
I didn't play Oblivion until a few months after it came out.

Unless I hear of a game that I'm particularly excited for, I don't tend to keep an eye on upcoming games, I just happen to get them if I'm out and about to try them. So I often miss the release dates by months at a time. You're not the only one! Sometimes, real life just gets in the way, so you just can't play new games. I mean, Bayonetta is my favourite game (probably of all time) and I haven't had time to play it since mid-Janury because of exams and things.

Ah, how I long for the days where you, the consumer, will be paid to play games as a hobby...I'd make it my full time job :D

Feb 18, 2009
Lag is sonewhere around 10-5 years. Current gen is simply too expensive for me. Besides, there are still several older games I would like to try but haven´t already. I´m working my way up slowly.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
loc978 said:
Very few new games appeal to me, so I don't consider myself behind at all...
My thoughts exactly. At present, every game that I want, I own. Next purchase: Total War: Shogun 2: Electric Boogaloo, next month.