How far have you gotten in FTL

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I've made it to the last jump and destroyed a number of "flagships" but it didn't seem to take. Ended up losing because said flagship made it to my base and they "won" as a result.

I've made it to the 6th jump several times though luck of the draw seems to make that a difficult proposition in general. In spite of appearances, my Kestral was outfitted largely with what could be found and made to work rather than what worked well.

And, for the record, a full set of blasters is not terribly helpful. Personally, bombs, invasion droids and away teams are the way to go on most ships. Send the away team to the guns, bombs to the shields and hammer away at whatever's left with your own guns.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Metalhandkerchief said:
*spoilers below*

Got to the third version of the flagship. But I just. can't. hit. the. teleporter. with. my. ion. bombs.

For those who don't know, the second time you "destroy" the flagship, it comes back with only it's center mass, that's when dudes start teleporting aboard your ship (but they're human, so blast doors + suffocate them and you'll be fine) but then the flagship uses it's teleporter module as a souped-up superweapon launching like 10 energy rounds at once, no way can you deal with that even at maximum upgradeable shields. The only thing I had on my Kestrel to take it out was an Ion bomb, which I just get ONE shot from before it fires it's death volley, but the first shot always seems to miss. So next time, I will have at least 1 normal Ion cannon on my ship, good thing they only need 1 power.
Get a high evade (40% or more), get cloaking. Granted, I mostly used cloaking to dodge the missile spam, but out of every superweapon barrage maybe one beam would actually do damage...

AngleWyrm

Feb 2, 2009
I beat it today on easy! Score:3239, with an Engi Type-A cruiser. My final weapon loadout was two Ion Cannons, a burst laser, and three attack drones.

Something I haven't seen anywhere else is a tactic I like: Leave the doors open for all non-essential rooms, so that fires don't start, and invaders are forced down certain pathways.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I have gotten to the 5th or 6th sector I think, so I haven't gotten to the final boss yet or flagship or whatever it is. I haven't even gotten to the final sector.

I have only played about 8-10 times and the game is pretty difficult. I also started on normal and haven't played easy yet, because I like getting my ass kicked.

I love this game, and I actually love roguelike type of games even if I haven't played many. I loved Darkcloud and Diablo back in the day, and they were both kind of roguelike. I'll have to try out Binding of Issac also, because it looks phenomenal.

So yeah, i'll beat the game eventually, but I am never in a hurry to do so, I like to take my time with it and try out different things. Best $8.99 I have spent in a long while!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Got up to the flagship, but died almost immediately. Had no missiles and half health to start with didn't help >_< The sector beforehand really screwed me over.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
Jandau said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
*spoilers below*

Got to the third version of the flagship. But I just. can't. hit. the. teleporter. with. my. ion. bombs.

For those who don't know, the second time you "destroy" the flagship, it comes back with only it's center mass, that's when dudes start teleporting aboard your ship (but they're human, so blast doors + suffocate them and you'll be fine) but then the flagship uses it's teleporter module as a souped-up superweapon launching like 10 energy rounds at once, no way can you deal with that even at maximum upgradeable shields. The only thing I had on my Kestrel to take it out was an Ion bomb, which I just get ONE shot from before it fires it's death volley, but the first shot always seems to miss. So next time, I will have at least 1 normal Ion cannon on my ship, good thing they only need 1 power.
Get a high evade (40% or more), get cloaking. Granted, I mostly used cloaking to dodge the missile spam, but out of every superweapon barrage maybe one beam would actually do damage...
Yeah just went through with cloaking for the first time and it really turned it into child's play. 3438 points :)

But I'm still going to redo it, with the new ships.
The third form isn't the problem for me, it's the second.

Magicduck

Mar 30, 2011
YES! Beat it, while on easy I managed to steamroll it without loosing any crew because I'd stacked up so many supplies. Stealth + Ion Canon + 2 Pulse Laser things + iBomb. Pretty much fully upgraded as I could and I managed to find the secret ship (Crystal thing) as well as the unique crew members on this play through as well, awesome :D.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I got an awsomely decked out ship, and got to the second boss fight where i was immediately bum fucked by a hundred-thousand-million drones and missles

Magicduck said:
iBomb? Apple finally desinged a self destruction app?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I've been thinking about it, but I probably shouldn't get the game till I get a new graphics card or computer, since it requires OpenGL 2.0 to display the graphics properly and my three year old PC's integrated graphics chipset only has 1.4.

The crazy side of me thinks that gaming companies, even small indie ones, are in league with the people that make graphics cards. The reason I think this is that there are so many new games that have been coming out with retro style graphics, usually looking like they are from the early to mid nineties PC era, but my PC still can't run them properly.

Common sense would dictate that with such low-end graphics my PC should run this game and others with similar levels of graphics. But then again, the whole PC gaming graphics industry has never run with much common sense.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I make it to the flagship almost without fail, it then promptly destroys me.
Now I learn it has stages? That wasn't even the final form?

Christ do I suck at this game. Fun though.

Fluxlunanos

Forgot to remember to forget.
Jun 26, 2011
I can get to sector 8 fairly easily, and last night I faced the flagship once more. I had it down to 1-2 hull points (HP?)and half of my ship was on fire, and the other half was in a vacuum due to hull breaches, save for the weapons system room, which contained my last crew member struggling with the controls with one hand and using a fire extinguisher to beat back the flames with his other. it was in this desperate situation that I landed the killing blow on the flagship, only to find out its a "staged" boss. poor guy choked on his way to try to fix the life support...

All in all, fun game, almost embraces the Dwarf Fortress motto "loosing is fun."
Glad I bought it~

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
So far I've beaten the final boss on easy, and managed to defeat it's first stage on normal.

So far I've unlocked the Engi cruiser and Advanced Federation cruiser of course, but I've also unlocked the stealth ship and the rock cruiser. They're both pretty hard to use...

Oh, and I unlocked the alternate layouts for the Engi cruiser and the Advanced cruiser too.

AngleWyrm said:
I beat it today on easy! Score:3239, with an Engi Type-A cruiser. My final weapon loadout was two Ion Cannons, a burst laser, and three attack drones.

Something I haven't seen anywhere else is a tactic I like: Leave the doors open for all non-essential rooms, so that fires don't start, and invaders are forced down certain pathways.
Which is all well and good until a stray round hits your O2 room, at which point you're fucked.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
got to stage 8 Only had one guy left when I got there and there where no stores in site so I couldnt hire more next battle I got into fucked me up

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
My Kestrel died a slow and gruesome death in the first battle of the final level. Upgrading your shields to 3 keeps your alive alright. I survived quite a few planets with nothing but a Captain and a repair bot. But damn it felt like a miserable and slow death.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I've beaten the flagship once, and unlocked the Engi, Rock, Federation and Zoltan cruisers.
Currently working towards acquiring the Unidentified Cruiser.