How far have you gotten in FTL

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
AngleWyrm said:
I beat it today on easy! Score:3239, with an Engi Type-A cruiser. My final weapon loadout was two Ion Cannons, a burst laser, and three attack drones.

Something I haven't seen anywhere else is a tactic I like: Leave the doors open for all non-essential rooms, so that fires don't start, and invaders are forced down certain pathways.
I'd considered leaving most of the ship open, but I always get to a point where I get flustered and my crew members suffocate. I guess I should try it again.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
I finished the game with the default ship on the easy difficulty. It took me about 3 layers of shield, max engine dodge, full weapon power, lvl 3 cloaking device, and my weapons are 2 Burst Laser IIs and 1 Burst Laser III. Everything in that run was a full-on gattling assault to focus-disable anything I don't want working while I put my faith on dodge and manually dodging using cloaking device. It's not worth it to max out shields especially if you cannot incapacitate your enemy's weapons or if they have Ion weaponry.

I'm enjoying unlocking the other ships and modes right now considering I love the different tactics and game styles of every ship.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Final boss. Died horribly. It was expected though, I had survived up till then by sheer luck, and hadn't sufficiently upgraded my ship to take on the boss.

AngleWyrm

Feb 2, 2009
The thing I like most about this game is how it plays outside the life of one playthrough. The thing I like least is how little impact the player has on the outcome. For instance, you might learn that the antmen cruiser is only available from antmen homeworld sectors. But you don't actually have the opportunity to plan to go to an antmen homeworld sector. Instead you can only restart a bunch and play through a game with a lot of red sectors, hoping to find one. Somewhat missing the boat on what it means to 'play' a game.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
It took some doing, but I finally got the game to work on my PC, but the resolution/graphics quality is borked. It's still playable. I tend to get to the final stand and fight to boss ship about 80% of my runs, though I play on easy(Not a true label).

I've only been able to destroy the first section of the boss. I can't stand that it is scripted destruction points. Because after I found out about the drone section in the second stage of that battle, on my next run I tried to destroy the drone side of the ship first. That of course doesn't work.

I've been switching off between sci-fi show themed crews and ships. The one that lasted the longest was the USS Defiant, with Captain Sisko, Worf, and Miles O'Brien. The ending statistics on that one gave me a good laugh because they fit perfectly, because Worf was listed as having the most combat kills, and Miles O'Brien had the record for most systems repaired.

I wish that I could get more people in the beginning, because I want to start out with a full cast crew complement.

Marik Bentusi said:
My Kestrel died a slow and gruesome death in the first battle of the final level. Upgrading your shields to 3 keeps your alive alright. I survived quite a few planets with nothing but a Captain and a repair bot. But damn it felt like a miserable and slow death.
I think it is all a matter of luck to beating the game. My one ship I talked about above, I arrived at the final stand with the full four layers of shields, my engines, engine operator and pilot were at a level that allowed me to have a 52% evade ability, my weapons and shield operators were also at top levels, and I had four extra crew to keep up with repairs.

With all that, I still couldn't get passed the second stage of the boss fight. That boss just had too much firepower, accuracy, and insane evading skill that I just couldn't put a big enough dent in it quick enough.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Picked this up when it came out and just last night managed to beat the final boss for the first time. Not gonna lie, it was the first time in ages a game had me standing up shouting 'YES'. So damned satisfying!

Such a good game by the way, probably my favourite roguelike in ages.

The ship you get from beating the game on normal is also a lot of fun, though how well you do with it seems to vary wildly depending on whether you can get more guns for it or not. That beam however is devastating and definitely worth sinking some scrap and power into levelling up. Would definitely have beaten the final boss with that ship when I was playing earlier had not my shield guy died a horrible death leaving me exposed and vulnerable.

If only he hadn't died I'd have won. Amazing how one crew can make all the difference sometimes!

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
I was so close to beating the third phase of the Rebel Flagship, still on easy, with the Man of War. Too bad in between 2nd and 3rd fight, I wasn't able to heal up anywhere because the **** rebels have occupied 2 previously open repair beacons and a store. :(

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
I think it is all a matter of luck to beating the game.
It's all luck based. I've been playing the game for four days now(not continuous, mind you, but every day). I have not beat the final boss yet. I've tried just about every weapon in the game, I've gone in with ships with max shields, weapons, and cloak. I've used drones, I've used fire, I've used Ion weapons and beams. I've used everything short of boarding parties on the final boss, because even with a full crew I'd be outnumbered 2-1.

I've heard of people beating it, but I'm convinced at this point that they're just lucky. It doesn't really matter your loadout; if it's marginally workable then you have a marginal chance of beating the final boss. However, I've been hit by the final boss by everything, even while cloaked, so I'm not sure the game even plays by its own rules. So actually defeating the mothership is purely chance, all the skill in the world will not help you if you don't have luck on your side.

Edit: Not to mention that every game is random. All the people in this thread talking about the builds they used? While it is good advice, they did little to nothing except stumble across some good gear that worked well. I've had games where I've gone end to end with the starter weapons because every single store I crossed carried everything BUT weapons and I picked up nothing from random events. Knowing what weapons combos work is good, but if you don't get anything, you can never win the game.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
ShadowKatt said:
Sonic Doctor said:
I think it is all a matter of luck to beating the game.
I've heard of people beating it, but I'm convinced at this point that they're just lucky. It doesn't really matter your loadout; if it's marginally workable then you have a marginal chance of beating the final boss. However, I've been hit by the final boss by everything, even while cloaked, so I'm not sure the game even plays by its own rules. So actually defeating the mothership is purely chance, all the skill in the world will not help you if you don't have luck on your side.
There is an upgrade in the game that allows you to fire while cloaked, thats what the final boss is using.

I haven't beaten the boss yet, I've only gotten that far once (normal) wasn't equiped properlly to get through it's shields / cloak. I would say alot depends on luck but thats what makes this type of game interesting imo. This link might help you beat it http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2573&sid=14a355cff4d96896638ae156c2061dd9

So far my only bugbear is that the game doesn't tell me how fast the enemy ship is moving so I can guess it's dodge %.

Has anyone beaten the game in both difficulty modes? Is the last boss the same in either modes?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I've gotten to the end but then I lost without engaging the enemy flagship because I didn't pay attention to the time limit.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
On easy I have beaten the flagship many times.

On normal? Well I am not even sure there is an actual sector 3 on normal. I feel like I use a solid strategy, take out weapons/droids, then shield, and then well I guess I just focus on killing this ship itself.

I always spend all my scrap on repairing the ship though, I can never upgrade shields or the engine, or weapons. Just repair, repair, repair, until I am dead.

Guess I need a new strategy, but I can not even get enough scrap to form a new stategy.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
RicoGrey said:
Guess I need a new strategy, but I can not even get enough scrap to form a new stategy.
I restart if i'm unlucky in my first couple of encounters rather than be handicapped for the rest of the game.

(with engines fully powered to increase dodge rate) With lv1 shielded ships just disable the weapons systems, battles last longer but if the enemy can't damage your hull it doesn't matter, your crew will lv up faster aswell, if you fight a ship with a puny laser or beam go afk for 10 mins for a easy way to lv up your crew.

Then I either upgrade my shields asap or if there is a store nearby see if its worth buying anything.

Take out the enemy crew for extra scrap and better chance of item drops and personnel

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
Edit: Not to mention that every game is random. All the people in this thread talking about the builds they used? While it is good advice, they did little to nothing except stumble across some good gear that worked well. I've had games where I've gone end to end with the starter weapons because every single store I crossed carried everything BUT weapons and I picked up nothing from random events. Knowing what weapons combos work is good, but if you don't get anything, you can never win the game.
Well now I don't feel as bad about the game feeling so hard. Since I finally BEAT IT!!! Yeah! Of course on easy, but still.

The luck comes from finding the weapons and setup that works, and boy did I find one that works. I don't know if your game glitched or what but the Rebel Flagship couldn't hit me while cloaked. Granted I had 100% evasion when cloaked.

I think it is useful to point out win builds, that way players can at least try to prepare properly if they encounter pieces to the build.

It is the standard Engi drone ship. I deleted the name but didn't give it one, so the game called it The Nameless One. I thought that sounded nice. In the sixth sector I picked up a cloak and got it up three spots. And a teleporter in sector seven and got it up to two.

Rebel Flagship Stage 1:
The first thing I did was cloak when the RF cloaked, and when it uncloaked I activated my two anti-ship drones and two ion cannons(aimed at the cloak for when the shields went down), then teleported my two Mantis crew members that had good fighting experience to the triple missile control. My Mantis took out the operator and the missiles quick enough, I avoided last missile volley by cloaking a second time, then teleported the Mantis back to help with any repairs and to heal. It didn't take long to kill the first section of the ship. After it fled, I used a hull repair drone to fix any hull points that I lost.

RF Stage 2: This was the scariest stage, because of all the anti-ship drones it released, and the anti-personel drone that landed on my ship. I used the Mantis again to destroy the repaired missile launcher, cloaked to avoid the missiles and drones, repaired and fought APDs when cloaked. I teleported the Mantis back to heal and fight drones, and make repairs. I only had one anti-drone active and firing on the RF with the ion cannons. The extra two power was used for the Hull repair drone when I saw my ship was close to getting below half hull health. I took a little longer than stage one, but not much.

RF Stage 3: This stage wasn't as hard because I four extra crew(that includes the two Mantis) that were good at fighting. The standard Engi ship special system of Medi-bots for crew healing wherever they are on the ship was good for this situation. The giant mega laser burst hurt me a bit hull-wise because it caught me off guard. The cloak helped with not getting hit with the missiles. It didn't take long to beat all the enemies that teleported over, it was only around four. Then after my ion cannons and anti-ship drones got through the RF's green shield, I teleported over my Mantis and destroyed the missile system for a third time, then I brought them back to heal, repair, and fight. Their final excursion away from the ship was used to take out the laser system as well, then came back to heal and repair. Throughout that I occasionally turned off on anti-ship drone and turned on the hull repair drone. But with a little patience and guiding crew to the right places, I finally killed the RF. YEAH!

All in all, the setup I had work extremely well against the RF. My hull never went below half health, and I didn't lose any crew members in the battle. I also got the "No Red Shirts achievement" because I didn't loose any crew during that game.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention, other than the standard Engi Medi-Bot system, I also had on the Drone Recovery Arm for saving 1 drone part each fight, and the Shield booster that gives shields a 15% better recharge time.

bobtheorc

Jun 12, 2009
I've completed 8 runs, one on normal, only things left to unlock are the mantis and crystal ships.

Ion weapons/ boarding team/ cloak are my best friends, not that I've been able to find ion weapons in a decent number of playthroughs, doesn't do to make plans too early, chances of getting the weapons you want are low. You have to be ready to adapt a strategy out of what's availiable.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Beat the game on normal (Kestrel type B) in my playthrough yesterday.

I was able to maximise my scrap collecting and bought level 3 and 4 weapons. Infact I would go as far as saying the flagship is a pushover with lv4 shield and a lv 3 cloak to dodge the missiles and super weapon. I only had just over half health going into the battle and only took 5-6 hull damage in 3 encounters, the previous ship I fought was harder due to the fact it had 2 separate missile weapons so I could only dodge half of the missiles using cloak.

ShadowKatt said:
The cloak only adds 60% to your chance of dodging, so you still need to make up the other 40% using your pilot & engineer

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
I actually made a "save an quit" in the Crystal Race Sector so i can go to the node where you complete the quest by having that 1 crystal guy on your ship alive up until he meets with its old ship and unlock the Crystal Cruiser. However, after loading the game, i couldnt find the quest node anywhere and not even after going to the last time i remembered it was. It seems that you have to do the quest in one go or else its lost forever.

Hell, i think that i found a SECOND damaged stasis pod there.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I've been to stage 2 of the boss exactly once, on my 2nd playthrough. I thought I had the game licked, and it's been a series of moderate to major disasters ever since.

I unlocked the Stealth and Zoltan cruisers on my last mission though, making it a semi-success.

On my last outing I was in...I want to say the 6th area...and I was down to 2 hull, limping towards a store. Only 3 stars between me and the store, and I could see none of them had ship encounters.

Boarding party.
Boarding party.
Boarding party.

Game over.

Screw you, Faster than Light!

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
I've been to stage 2 of the boss exactly once, on my 2nd playthrough. I thought I had the game licked, and it's been a series of moderate to major disasters ever since.

I unlocked the Stealth and Zoltan cruisers on my last mission though, making it a semi-success.

On my last outing I was in...I want to say the 6th area...and I was down to 2 hull, limping towards a store. Only 3 stars between me and the store, and I could see none of them had ship encounters.

Boarding party.
Boarding party.
Boarding party.

Game over.

Screw you, Faster than Light!
Blast Doors. They are cheap and you can kill people before they reach you by reducing the oxygen where they are. Last case scenario, you can send at least 1 person to deal with them while micromanaging it to go to the medibay.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
DioWallachia said:
Blast Doors. They are cheap and you can kill people before they reach you by reducing the oxygen where they are. Last case scenario, you can send at least 1 person to deal with them while micromanaging it to go to the medibay.
I had Blast Doors. Sadly, the third boarding party got into the door room right off the hop, and they were all Mantises.