How Far Is A Yard in Diablo 3? Shorter Than You Think

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
How Far Is A Yard in Diablo 3? Shorter Than You Think

We take a look at Diablo 3's odd unit of distance and how it affects your skills.

Read Full Article

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
Well, Blizzard never bothered with "real" distances anyway. Yard is also translated 1:1 to meter in european versions.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Huh. Those distances were a reason I never really used Steady Aim on my DH. Guess that might change now. Good to know.

RenegadeDuck

Oct 9, 2014
Hey now, that might just make me go back to DH just for the bonuses to damage at a distance. Maybe I should consider reinstalling Diablo 3...

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
dangoball said:
Huh. Those distances were a reason I never really used Steady Aim on my DH. Guess that might change now. Good to know.
Same here! I can't wait to try it out now.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Is Diablo 3 worth buying or should I wait till it is on sale. I am currently playing D2 for the first time.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
popa_qwerty said:
Is Diablo 3 worth buying or should I wait till it is on sale. I am currently playing D2 for the first time.
Objectively? It is Blizzard quality: Good story, HIGHLY REFINED gameplay and good graphics. I suggest you get it for the PS4, as for the PC version you are dealing with an always online BS.

Subjectively? GO GET IT NOWWW. IT IS AWESOME. "nerdgasm".

Broderick

May 25, 2010
popa_qwerty said:
I would say it is pretty good. Some people really do not like the fact that the pc version has to always be online(meaning you cannot play it when your internet is down), but it is still a pretty damn polished game regardless. The game had a rough start, but Blizz eventually fine-tuned everything to be a lot better. Going from D2 to D3, you will probably find D3 to be much easier, as the starting difficulty is borderline too easy to be enjoyable(at least for me). Thankfully, you can turn up the difficulty, which in and of itself gives greater rewards to experience and gold, as well as other things.

If you want to play offline, getting a console version may be in order. Otherwise, pick the console that fits you best for the game. It apparently plays decently with a controller, even if the game was originally made for keyboard+mouse.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Haerthan said:
popa_qwerty said:
Objectively? It is Blizzard quality: Good story, HIGHLY REFINED gameplay and good graphics. I suggest you get it for the PS4, as for the PC version you are dealing with an always online BS.

Subjectively? GO GET IT NOWWW. IT IS AWESOME. "nerdgasm".
I must absolutely disagree on the story front. There are some good moments, but even by the cheese-wheel Blizzard standards, it's really hammy and is probably the weakest thing out of all their properties right now. Overexplains everything which makes the world feel tiny, has absurdly stupid antagonists (I'm looking at you Azmodan), murders the wrong characters to drum up tension, and just kind of teeters out. The cinematics are all absolutely lovely, but they don't mesh with what's in the game well.

Also, I don't know whose idea it was to hire Adria's old voice actor. I just replayed Diablo 1, and -damn- does her dialogue not age well.

As far as recommendations, I agree with those sentiments. Gameplay and theme are top-notch. The loot-game is inoffensive if a little... singular in its complexity (lots of exponential stat-stacking like crit+crit damage which pigeon-holes itemization; same goes for the way damage is handled because of it. Power creep everywhere) and the classes are all fairly unique. Also lots of stuff to do, which helps.

OT:
Good to know. I might have to refer to this again next time I play.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Just eyeballing that graphic, it appears that most of the characters are between three and four yards tall. That's 9 to 12 feet.

Talk about a land of giants!
The Nephalem were really, really big. Bul'Kathos was a goddamn giant.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
popa_qwerty said:
The story suffers from over-exposition and some occasional stupidity, but the gameplay and presentation are topnotch. I found the game a lot more fun with a controller and couch co-op, and I highly recommend tuning the difficulty to be at least somewhat challenging.

All in all, despite some issues, it's a great game.

l0lwut

Jan 18, 2013
Please America, just stop this imperial nonsense and switch to metric already, it'll be better for everyone. These strange measurements from the fantasy realm of Whackistan always throw me off potentially nice articles like this.

It could also be that Diablo has stopped interesting me a long time ago. I found almost every aspect on the way underwhelming. Came back for a bit to play the expansion but it didn't stick. Not the way that part 2 did anyway. That's a very high standard, of course, but I expected something a little bit better.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
After years and years of playing wow in English, I never had an idea of what a "yard" meant. I didn't even know it was a real unit of measure.
Only when I switched to playing in Portuguese and the distances where now measured not only in meters, but with the same values, I googled and discovered what the hell a yard meant.

l0lwut

Jan 18, 2013
darkszero said:
After years and years of playing wow in English, I never had an idea of what a "yard" meant. I didn't even know it was a real unit of measure.
Only when I switched to playing in Portuguese and the distances where now measured not only in meters, but with the same values, I googled and discovered what the hell a yard meant.
I learned of yards when I saw an American Football game on tv once (measuring progress on the field in yards is very important in that game). I just assumed it was like an American word for meter. Few months ago I found out it's not even that, it's more like 91,5 cm.

And it's all crazy values like that. Whenever a movie character says he's x feet and y inches tall, I'm completely at a loss. What even is a pound? A gallon? I know that a mile is roughly 1,5 km but the rest is completely undecipherable to me. If I ever try to, say, cook according to an American recipe I'd need a conversion table and a calculator.

Sellon88

Sep 15, 2013
range of attack can be a problem in many kinds of games. How many times has anyone here you tried to melee something in an FPS to only have it literally come up short.

Also Diablo uses yards? That probably not the best move for an international game sense everyone outside the US uses metrics.

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
Going by our real-world comparison, it turns out that your Diablo 3 character is a nine-foot-tall monster.
The youtube video says nine yard tall. Nine foot tall would be tall indeed, but not exactly monster size.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I remember on my monk being a bit surprised how small the blasts were, but I didn't get so far as to work out the characters must all be giants. That's bizarrely sloppy work on Blizzard's part.