How Final Fantasy VI Conquered Character Recruitment

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
How is this on a tablet? Anyone know whether they made significant modifications from the console? Or should I just play it on the PC?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
FFVI has the best cast of the entire series. Hands-down. I'd even go as far as to say that it's possibly the best constructed cast in ANY JRPG. It's not my favorite Final Fantasy, but I respect VI as the best entry in the series overall, specifically for the characters and the story behind them, including the villain.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
StewShearer said:
StriderShinryu said:
Oh, and if for some reason you haven't played FFVI before, PSN has it on sale this weekend for $5. Yes, possibly the best JRPG of all time available for $5. Go get it.
Hmm... how is the PSN edition? Cause I'd read bad things about the PlayStation port. Would it be worth it if I still have the GBA re-release?
I just bought it a few days ago and tried it on my Vita. For whatever reason, they kept the playstation 1's stupid loading times so it can take 3-5 seconds to open the menu.

I'm a little miffed at my purchase for that reason.

Edit: There is an option called, "Fast Load" but it doesn't do anything for this particular title.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I guess being an editorial explains it, as I was wondering why a so called review spent so much time talking about the last game reviewed!

Suikoden II and FFVI are my top 2 all time JRPG's though. While it's true Suikoden II makes character recruitment a collection thing, you shouldn't forget that it is a direct sequel and a number of the characters were fleshed out in Suikoden I, Victor and Flik being the two biggest ones. In general though what the Suikoden games do is build a strong character interaction between a key group of characters, nothing in FFVI is as fleshed out as the 'Hero'-Jowy-Nanami triangle, a bunch of secondary characters then a whole bunch of filler.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
StewShearer said:
StriderShinryu said:
Oh, and if for some reason you haven't played FFVI before, PSN has it on sale this weekend for $5. Yes, possibly the best JRPG of all time available for $5. Go get it.
Hmm... how is the PSN edition? Cause I'd read bad things about the PlayStation port. Would it be worth it if I still have the GBA re-release?
Ugh... the GBA version of that game should be illegal. I cannot stand how the atrocious sound quality completely butchers the soundtrack.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Burn the heathen! He does not see Suikoden II for the glory that it is! BURN HIM!!!

Nah, it's cool. I adore that game, as I mentioned in the piece you wrote last week, but you are completely correct. The vast majority of characters that you recruit are just...meh. They really are there just to serve as fillers. But if you think they're bad now, you should give IV a try. Ugh...
There were some memorable characters in II for me though, but not surprisingly, many of them were returning characters from the first game who were allowed to have their backstory fleshed out more.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
Fascinating, I had no idea that 12 characters was less than 108!

This comparison is nonsense. Of course this FF game has less characters than Suikoden, a series loosely drawing from Water Margin. A more logical comparison would be comparing FF6 to other FF games... of which it has more party characters than any of the other main series entries, which contributes to the bloat that makes 6 one of the weakest in the franchise.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Since the GBA version got released the Love for FF6/3 has been on the increase
TizzytheTormentor said:
StewShearer said:
The playstation port suffers from irritating loading times, which makes going through the game really obnoxious and makes grinding hell, other than that rather large problem, its a faithful port. Its inferior to the SNES and GBA versions.

WhiteTigerShiro said:
Ugh... the GBA version of that game should be illegal. I cannot stand how the atrocious sound quality completely butchers the soundtrack.
I hear a lot of people say the GBA has awful sound quality, but I played them and it wasn't anything drastic by any stretch. It was better than the smartphone version, where the character sprites were awful and way too cartoony.
You heard right, the sound was sacrificed but the sprites where overall fine (well scaled nicely), the combat re balanced and the dialogue Improved.

I wouldn't call the SQ aweful but other versions tended to be much better

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
StewShearer said:
I think I just need to re-buy a SNES copy.
the wii virutal console edition of final fantasy is a exact port of the snes version. it's still called final fantasy 3, and still have the exact graphic and dialog that the snes version.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
cathou said:
StewShearer said:
I think I just need to re-buy a SNES copy.
the wii virutal console edition of final fantasy is a exact port of the snes version. it's still called final fantasy 3, and still have the exact graphic and dialog that the snes version.
And you could get one of those Super Famicom-style classic controllers to complete the experience! :D

Kahani

May 25, 2011
StewShearer said:
Other recent titles like Mass Effect 2 also do a fantastic job of coupling character collection with interesting plot.
I'm not so sure about that. The main thrust of the article was that character collection in FF6 and Suidoken 2 was largely optional, and that depending on your preferences one might give you more incentive to actually do the collecting than the other. In Mass Effect 2, that's not the case. All characters in the vanilla game are mandatory parts of the main plot, and you can't continue the game without them. And while the DLC characters are optional side-quests, the fact that you've paid extra money to have them makes any in-game incentives rather less important, certainly the first time at least. The loyalty quests in ME2 are really a lot more similar - they're not necessary to finish the game but are required to get certain endings, and whether you can be bothered with them depends a lot on how interesting you find the characters and plot in general.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
The loyalty quests in ME2 are really a lot more similar - they're not necessary to finish the game but are required to get certain endings

Which is exactly the same in both Suikoden II were you need the 108 characters to get the canon ending, and Fin F6 where not getting your full team actually shorten its famous ending sequence (In fact, reuniting FF6's band works a lot like the loyalty quests in ME2: in both games teammates work out their inner demons before rejoining the group for a final suicidal assault against their respective game's villain). In all three games mentioned, it's clear that the plot was written with a golden Every-Side-Quests-Were-Done ending in mind.