How important do you consider sex?

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Sex in general : under 5 % importance (don't really care that much about it anymore).
Sex with somebody I like that likes me back : somewhere around 30% cumulative importance (it's nice, but meh, can do without it for a few days easily).
Just intimacy in general with person I like that likes me back : up to somewhere around 80% cumulative so far... and the final 20% is having some//enough "alone time" every once in a while for stuff I like but the "significant other" doesn't.

I suppose age would factor in heavily here... so 33+ years old over here.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
On a personal level? Unimportant. The act itself does not appeal to me much, and especially so if taken out of the context of a romantic relationship. Sex just for sex's sake does not interest me, and so I stand as a person who has consciously avoided several "free nights" in the past.

Apr 29, 2010
At the moment, I don't really have any opinion when it comes to sex. Kinda makes sense since I have absolutely no experience in that matter. I'm sure when the day comes where I lose my virginity I'll then be able to know how important the act of sex is to me.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
The Man With the Soap said:
ravensheart18 said:
Sex is for the continuation of the species, nothing more.
You are doing it wrong, very wrong.
Everytime I share my opinion on this subject, some genius thinks it's clever to say that.
Sex drive, or better said, the enjoyment you derive from having sex might be genetically hardcoded to exist to facilitate the continuation of the species, true, but it ceased being JUST that and nothing else for quite a few other mammals, not just humans.
If it would really be "nothing more", really, REALLY absolutely nothing more, then contraception methods would not have ever been invented by mankind because they would have never been needed. And only heterosexual sex would exist (and by the way, humans are by far not the only mammals to have other kinds of sex than heterosexual).
Your theory that (paraphrasing) sex is for reproduction and nothing else fails spectacularly.
So, yes, if it really IS your honest opinion that sex is JUST for "the continuation of the species", you must have had experienced some pretty unusual set of circumstances to lead you to that false conclusion, or in other words, you must have been "doing it wrong".

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
shogunblade said:
I think sex as a culture is incredibly childish. For everything that has a Rule 34, it only further confirms to me that sex is dead, it has become widespread to the internet, to film, and slowly, to videogames, but it has only done so little in the world.
You'd better get used to seeing it and hearing about it in culture. Ever since a caveman made a wood carving with boobs on it, sex has been in art. Ever since a teenager in 16th century Spain learned some flamenco riffs to impress his girlfriend, sex has been in music. Ever since there has been written language, there has been stories or whole books about sex. And ever since humans have thought "Oh hey, this feels pretty good for something other than reproduction!", sex has been a part of human culture.

Like I said, get used to it.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Hmm... Theoretically, I consider sex important. However, this is changed somewhat by the practical nature of me not getting any.
Seems to be a good way of affirming a relationship, and from what little I can remember (It's been a while...), it's pretty good fun! Although definitely better when there's an emotional component to it as well.
Looks like it might be a while before I can test this theory... Current relationship status - bizarre.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
I'm a virgin. I think about sex a lot more than I'd like, but I have no interest in pursuing a meaningless relationship simply for the sake of having one, nor do I feel the desire to engage in meaningless sex. To me, they both belong in the realm of 'with the right person', not 'with anything of the same species and preferred gender'.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
To the continuation of the species? I think it is vital. In my life? It isn't very important at all. Desirable yes but not a priority.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
Its not THAT important, its great if I get some, not the end of the world if I don't, I'm big on it being an expression of love, so it's kind of a given in a committed relationship, but as a casual thing, I can live without it.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
"Hey baby, I'm bored, let's bone"?

To quote Guns N' Roses:
You get nothin' for nothin' if that's what you do
Turn around *****, I got a use for you
Besides, you ain't got nothin' better to do
And I'm bored.

Not for me, thanks. I prefer my sex as an intimate bit of sharing between two people in love---the fact that I tend to go for girls who can't keep their hands off me while I can't keep mine off them is just a nice perk in life. But cheap and casual? I'll pass---that's so much of yesterday's news in my life.

(edit: That said, like I implied, when I AM in a relationship, the sex is given freely and frequently and with great gusto, and I couldn't imagine dating someone who was asexual or otherwise not interested in having sex often.)

NerfRIder

Jun 7, 2010
On a scale of 0 to 10 I say 0/10. Sex has never been all that interesting to me. It's pretty important for the continuing of the species but for me personally it really means nothing.

Feb 7, 2009
Tibike77 said:
ravensheart18 said:
Sex is for the continuation of the species, nothing more.
You are doing it wrong, very wrong.
Everytime I share my opinion on this subject, some genius thinks it's clever to say that.
Sex drive, or better said, the enjoyment you derive from having sex might be genetically hardcoded to exist to facilitate the continuation of the species, true, but it ceased being JUST that and nothing else for quite a few other mammals, not just humans.
If it would really be "nothing more", really, REALLY absolutely nothing more, then contraception methods would not have ever been invented by mankind because they would have never been needed. And only heterosexual sex would exist (and by the way, humans are by far not the only mammals to have other kinds of sex than heterosexual).
Your theory that (paraphrasing) sex is for reproduction and nothing else fails spectacularly.
So, yes, if it really IS your honest opinion that sex is JUST for "the continuation of the species", you must have had experienced some pretty unusual set of circumstances to lead you to that false conclusion, or in other words, you must have been "doing it wrong".
I believe that we like to think that there are higher reasons for sex, but I don't believe there are. What we do is not as special as we like to think it is. I'm not even going to adress your points, because your argument is so disjointed that it "fails spectacularly." You basically said that my opinion is wrong because you do not share it.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Removing all context, just focusing on the pure act of sex, then I don't look on it as important at all. Its the aforementioned context that matters to me.

As a good friend said to me a while back "When done right, sex is the ultimate expression of human intimacy" and to my mind, he is right, what matters to me more is emotional contact, love and relationships, to share your life with someone special, whether sex is involved or not is immaterial.

I would glady forgo sex for the rest of my life than do it for the wrong reasons. Prime example, when my last boyfriend turned to me and said he wanted our relationship to be a sexless one I agreed and was very happy all the time we were together, I would be much happier in sexless, loving relationship than all the meaningless physical gratification in the world.

Now dont get me wrong from all that above, I'm not a "sex hater" for lack of a better term, I just have different priorities to some, each to thier own I suppose, I don't judge anyone else for thier opinions as I hope they wouldnt judge me for mine.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Pirate Kitty said:
gamerguy473 said:
Pirate Kitty said:
I have sex just about everyday.

I don't know if it's important, but it's a fun way to express what words can't.

When you love your partner that much, you want to make them feel as good as you can, as often as you can :)
Everyday? Man you must have a pretty special relationship with spouse/girlfriend
Can't help it :p

Besides, what better way to spend your time than cuddles, kisses and love!
Agreed. I have sex with my girlfriend whenever we're together. It's fun and it feels good. What else do you need?

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I don't think sex is important at all. Actually, I think it's overrated.

Also, I can't miss what I'll never experience.