How important is sex to you?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Well... i'd like to think it wasn't important... and pretend that it doesn't bother me, but my brain doesn't quite agree with me there... Instead it decides that everytime I see the lass I have a crush on (wow, I felt like a 13 year old writing that!) it must imagine her naked, and somewhere underneath me.... or the day she ran into the building I was in to shelter from the rain, suddenly I was in a shower with her... damn you over active imagination!

So anyway, It is important to me anyway... having sex is the closest you can get to another person, but is not something I would do willy-nilly without consideration, and willingness.. something I keep for those potential 'the ones'.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Carbonyl said:
Rethinking after finally having gotten lunch, I agree with you, cuddling is better than any and all foods. I was swayed by my hunger.
Exactly... never question the logic of a full stomach...

Incidentally... why 'Carbonyl'? I can think of a load of way better functional groups you could've called yourself...(!)

And now, because I'm in a stupid mood... I have to ask: aldehyde or ketone?!

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Gonna have to join the "cuddles" crowd here. It's the intimacy that matters. The sex is just icing on the cake.

Disclaimer: I am a straight 19-35 male in a relationship.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I used to think it was everything. Then I thought it was kind of a pain in the ass. Then it was a mild diversion when I got bored. No I hardly care for it at all.

I've heard girls go through an opposite kind of arc but that's pretty much how I feel these days. Certainly it gets a lot less interesting with age so you should have as much of it as you can when you're younger and you can really get something out of it.

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
I do find myself getting a little bit depressed if I don't have sex for a while. That said, it's not exactly a massive part of my life. It happens occasionally (i'm not in a relationship) but I can't see myself being happy in a sexless life. I definitely couldn't stay in a sexless relationship.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Anoni Mus said:
Screamarie said:
Well seeing as the only sex I've had is fade to black implied sex with Garrus and Thane.....not much. Yeah, virgin. Don't really give a shit. If I ever met the right guy, sure, whatever, but if I don't I'll die a virgin and be content.

Believe it or not it is possible to survive without sex...though I know many people disagree with me.
born 87, unemployed and virgin. Sounds scary. Are you hikikimori?
Can't say I'm not insulted by that assumption, especially when you know absolutely nothing about me.

The unemployed thing is because the company I worked for closed down many of it's stores. Now a days I spend a majority of my time tending to an elderly step father. I don't have a lot time to work as currently there's no one else to help me tend to him.

Virgin is because I generally hate people. There are very few people I consider worth the effort to like, let alone sleep with. I'd rather wait for someone I find worth it than sleep with anything that moves.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Not very.

I mean, I suppose it might be nice, but I can't be bothered to make the effort to get some.

Carbonyl

Jun 2, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
Carbonyl said:
Rethinking after finally having gotten lunch, I agree with you, cuddling is better than any and all foods. I was swayed by my hunger.
Exactly... never question the logic of a full stomach...

Incidentally... why 'Carbonyl'? I can think of a load of way better functional groups you could've called yourself...(!)

And now, because I'm in a stupid mood... I have to ask: aldehyde or ketone?!
I have a strange fondness for them. Perhaps it is due to being a biochemist, rather than a straight organic chemist. As for ketone or aldehyde, I don't care, as long as I have a controllable aldol reaction going. I love me a good aldol condensation.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Carbonyl said:
I have a strange fondness for them. Perhaps it is due to being a biochemist, rather than a straight organic chemist. As for ketone or aldehyde, I don't care, as long as I have a controllable aldol reaction going. I love me a good aldol condensation.
You've given the chemist in me an erection! XD

/jk

So you prefer the use of aldolases (I think that's what they're called) over acid and heat? That being said... I spent a few months developing a taste for silyl-chemistry, after which, throwing acid at the result = chemgasm... after a fashion... (deprotection, cyclisation and condensation all in one = time to publish).

Sorry... quite a tangent taken...

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I have been in a relationship for 1.6 years and we are both virgins, so sex itself means nothing to me, other than something to think about when bored... Ahem, anyway...

That said, affection and contact that is somewhat sexual in nature is VERY important, the physical connection matters a lot and goes a long way to make both of us a lot happier ^.^

I could also never imagine getting personal with someone who was almost a stranger, it seems like it would be more gross and awkward than anything else >.<

Dominic Burchnall

Jun 13, 2011
I'm approaching the 21st year of my life and still haven't got any. As such, this is the reason I'm sure my sanity is slipping inexorably away. As I have decided from extensive *COUGH* internet research on the subject, I'm a bit of a sadist/dominator, and a distinct lack of anyone to hit or dominate (without legal repercussions) is starting to make my nerves twang severely at this point. Apologies to anyone if they get at all weirded out by this.

Carbonyl

Jun 2, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
Carbonyl said:
You've given the chemist in me an erection! XD

/jk

So you prefer the use of aldolases (I think that's what they're called) over acid and heat? That being said... I spent a few months developing a taste for silyl-chemistry, after which, throwing acid at the result = chemgasm... after a fashion... (deprotection, cyclisation and condensation all in one = time to publish).

Sorry... quite a tangent taken...
Aldolases are pretty badass, but if you're looking to synthesize something (and not just expressing it off of a plasmid in culture to purify), it's cheaper and easier to go with acid and heat (or something more complicated for stereocontrol), because proteins are a lot of work to purify and have specificity to their normal substrates. I'm slowly coming to love isomerases and thioester intermediates, they are fun. I'm a protein mechanism kinda girl these days. But I do enjoy organic synthesis, it is FUN AS HELL. Hetero-Diels-Alder reactions are SEXY. And also ZOMG biologically stable ylides bring me no end of joy. Silyl-chemistry is pretty excellent, lets you do all sorts of clever things.

captcha: want more?
As if anyone DOESN'T want more chemistry?

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Anoni Mus said:
Screamarie said:
Anoni Mus said:
Screamarie said:
Well seeing as the only sex I've had is fade to black implied sex with Garrus and Thane.....not much. Yeah, virgin. Don't really give a shit. If I ever met the right guy, sure, whatever, but if I don't I'll die a virgin and be content.

Believe it or not it is possible to survive without sex...though I know many people disagree with me.
born 87, unemployed and virgin. Sounds scary. Are you hikikimori?
Can't say I'm not insulted by that assumption, especially when you know absolutely nothing about me.

The unemployed thing is because the company I worked for closed down many of it's stores. Now a days I spend a majority of my time tending to an elderly step father. I don't have a lot time to work as currently there's no one else to help me tend to him.

Virgin is because I generally hate people. There are very few people I consider worth the effort to like, let alone sleep with. I'd rather wait for someone I find worth it than sleep with anything that moves.
Sorry, it wasn't supposed to be an insult.

It was just a likley chance considering your situation. I'm even kinda like you, only younger and with lots of time.
S'okay. Most people would use it as an insult, so I guess I assumed as well.