How Intuitive Does A Game Have to Be?

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
It's unanswerable! You can't know the type of gamer, or their pre-existing knowledge, or their feelings regarding "secrets" to ever make a game that is intuitive to everybody.

Examples to prove the point:
1. Watching someone play Tetris, who has never played ANY video game before, and doesn't know you can rotate the blocks.
2. Someone who absolutely insists on never looking anything up on the internet until they've completed the game once. They played halfway through Splinter Cell: Blacklist before they realised Sam Fisher had night vision/heat goggles.
3. First time I played Half-Life 2 I was almost at the end before I realised the rifles had secondary fire modes.

I'd say the best rules are as follows;
1. If it's essential for beating the game, then make it pretty damn obvious.
2. If it's a secret room/level or alternative path, then have clues, both visual and auditory. Knowing you have to open the 3rd panel in the fourth corridor when it looks like all the others is bollocks. But you can intuit if there's a colour shade difference, or some other clue, like Dark Souls slightly raised pressure plates.
3. Design your levels so that the average person will go in the right direction. MoH Resistance had a shitty Paris level where there were many branching crossroad streets. It looked like multiiple paths were available but a little way in you find a barricade barring your way. After a while you realise it is completely linear but LOOKs like it isn't. Do the opposite. Make alternatives that look logical and make barriers sensible and not an obvious game conceit to hem the player, i.e. Dark Souls has cliffs, lava, steps, ladders; also sensible no-go/can go areas in real life.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Somewhat related to this thread I replayed Parasite Eve II at the weekend and it reminded me of when I first played it.

I used to work in a video store and my manager was playing the game, it looked fun so I started up my own save slot. It quickly became apparent we are two different type of gamers though. As I would search every nook and cranny for every power up and earn XP for killing more monsters in my search I quickly caught up to where he was and overtook him.

The game (for those who haven't played) is cut into three main districts: Akropolis, Desert Town & Lab - the Akropolis being the first hour or so of the game, easing you into gameplay and story before:
it gets blown to hell
then you move onto the mojave.

However, if you explore a bit you'll come across a cutscene and a fairly pointless section off the side of a church, there's a door that won't open, but if you press X a second time you find a keycard. One that is utterly pointless until you get towards then end of the game in the Lab area where it unlocks an Armoury - infinite ammo available for you as a reward for searching so much earlier on.

The problem is my boss never found this and therefore struggled with the end level, moreso as he hadn't built up is BXP or EXP (basically money for guns and ammo (BXP) and money for magic powers (EXP)) so couldn't buy more ammo/better guns or improved powers (which also increase the power meter) got the basic ending and that was it. However I got the "good" ending and he was like, what the hell, didn't even know about any of that.

Hell - there's even a section where if you kill a boss quick enough an NPC doesn't die and you're further rewarded for them being alive, likewise as my boss had spread his EXP around and unlocked level 1 of all powers (500/750 each) instead of throwing it into improving one power (1250 l2 3000 l3) as you're incentivised to do the former (each new power increases the power gauge) he naturally just thought they were supposed to die there and was surprised I mention them later in the game (as I too had no idea they would die there).

The game gives no indication what to do to get the "good" ending or what would help you on your next play through (which it's designed for, having about four replay modes) such as the above. All in a pre-internet age.

Though if anyone at Squaresoft is listening, don't worry about a sequel, simply a HD remake with all the poor translation in place would take my money. Resident Evil's had the treatment three times the last I checked and it's half the game this was!