How is 2011 can we have these toys for girls?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I played with plastic swords when I was a kid, turns out they went out of fashion when I grew up. So thanks the lord of kobolds for M&B. Then again, I have never seen the interest in these kind of toys for kids (at least, my potential kids), I'll stick with plushies and Lego till they can use a video game console and other board games.

Munchu

Jun 4, 2011
Loner Jo Jo said:
I agree with you that toys set up expectations for adulthood and gender roles, but considering that learning to cook, clean and do the laundry are skills that everyone needs to learn at some point or another, I don't see the big deal.
Exactly, they should market the "basic life skills" toys to girls and boys, not just girls, because that sends the message that girls are the ones who should do it.

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
You do realize the reason women are more predisposed to those sorts of roles is because of societal expectations? The reason they'd want those toys, is because that's what's expected of them, not because of some innate instinctual calling... Girls naturally wanting pink stuff? Nope, they like it because from a very early age they're brainwashed by it. Did you know pink used to be considered a boy colour? In fact, all children used to wear dresses, and wore whatever colour

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2831/was-pink-originally-the-color-for-boys-and-blue-for-girls

It's a self-perpetuating cycle really, for both boys and girls, they're taught to conform to societal norms, and in turn, they do. This eventually carries on into the next generation, and often gets worse. Which just creates a wider rift between the sexes/genders, which really isn't what you want when aiming for equality.

http://www.achilleseffect.com/2011/03/word-cloud-how-toy-ad-vocabulary-reinforces-gender-stereotypes/

Also, look how big "friendsip" and "magic" are on the girl's diagram... heh, figured you Escapists would like that. Now note the larger words in the diagrams, it's pretty obvious the sort of values society is trying to instill like this... Do like some people suggested, books, and non-gendered educational toys, or just non-gendered toys. Heck, growing up, I had a sand bucket, and strainer to play with, I was a little archeologist/geologist, and that interest stuck with me from when I was around 5, to today (23) I'm sure many could think of things like that embedded in our minds. Why wouldn't that work for something forced upon us by society?... Self-perpetuating cycle... and we need to break it, let people be themselves, let kids grow up without brainwashing

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
I recall watching a documentary a while back which they followed up on a later illegal experiment, children having their physical gender's swapped at birth and raised as their new gender. They reverted to type, the little "boy" finding dolls and the "girl" liking army trucks and guns. I think for this one, it's not all society. Before we gained so our called intelligence we had firmly autonomous gender roles and if you look at small tribes, men hunt, women gather and nurture.

Seems natural for the toy brand to acknowledge the bizarre norm.

PS. That's not to say I think social conditioning pays no part in it, just not the 100% part so many like to imply.

PSS. I had a toy tool bench, I didn't like it. It was big plastic bolts that fitted into predefined holes. Really rather insulting, didn't allow much creativity.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Woodsey said:
I'd say the "Her First" part is the issue; but then that's not something the kids pick up on.

But, y'know, kids like playing with that stuff. Little girls especially. So... they're gonna sell it. I don't think me playing with Action Men (and definitely not any Barbies when I was 3... ahem) or toy guns reinforced anything particularly.
You just got me to thinking, the whole "her first" thing is the problem...but why? I think every person who wishes not to be homeless would like to one day own kitchen appliances....where else am I going to put my food.....my ass?

But in all honestly i can rage against my first refrigerator....refrigerators are not fun...the hold food....no entertainment value what so ever....what am I supposed to do with a non functioning plastic refrigerator.

I mean...look at this

http://www.kmart.com/my-first-kenmore-wooden-refrigerator/p-004W003181069000P

WHY IN ALL THAT IS HOLY WOULD I PAY $100 FOR A HUNK OF NON CHILLING PLASTIC......I could buy a real refrigerator for that much.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
I still think they should get the princess-stuff out. Monarchism is a horrible system anyway, why reinforce it? Most of the toys are sexist by nature as well.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I had a toy vacuum as a toddler, and I'm a boy.

It just depends on what they like, "her first" probably isn't the best way to word it, but it just depends on what a kid likes.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
PhunkyPhazon said:
...So? The name is stupid I guess, but little girls LIKE that stuff.What you play with as a little kid doesn't necessarily reflect who you'll be twenty years from then.
Girls like to play with toy vacuum cleaners? Heck, just let them use the real thing, that way they can be a little more productive.

But seriously, do you believe little girls truly like to play with toy household appliances? or is there perhaps a certain amount of social conditioning to make girls want to do these kinds of things?

Just a thought.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
SilentCom said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
...So? The name is stupid I guess, but little girls LIKE that stuff.What you play with as a little kid doesn't necessarily reflect who you'll be twenty years from then.
Girls like to play with toy vacuum cleaners? Heck, just let them use the real thing, that way they can be a little more productive.

But seriously, do you believe little girls truly like to play with toy household appliances? or is there perhaps a certain amount of social conditioning to make girls want to do these kinds of things?

Just a thought.
Well with a little careful modding, a toy vacuum cleaner becomes a toy Proton Pack from Ghostbusters. How's that for parent/child time.

Anyway, my children will be raised on a combination of the same steady diet that me and my brothers were raised on and some new stuff:

Thomas the Tank Engine
Transformers
Disney (a mix of classic and modern)
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Justice League/Unlimited
Daria
Black Adder
Fawlty Towers
STAR TREK

Although pragmatically I'll reserve My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for a daughter, no need to cause my son unnecessary trouble at school.

Onoto

Jun 14, 2010
I don't really see what's wrong with it. Little girls generally like playing with that stuff. Imitating mom and dad (in this case, yes, more often mom) is a big part of childhood playtime, especially for girls, so why should we object to companies marketing toys to fill that exact niche?

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
hotsauceman said:
Apollo45 said:
Ok. So you find nothing wrong with buying your daughter A WASHER AND DRYER for play? And there is reason why to be offended. Gender issues as a whole is why nerd culture is not accepted as a whole in the mainstream culture and media and why some people get picked on.
I'm one of the biggest nerds I know (my friends and girlfriend make fun of me for it all the time). And, not to brag but to try and make a point, I was also one of the more popular guys in my school. That's with being in marching band for six years (two in college), being a rather extreme science fiction nerd, watching anime, and everything else. Part of that was because I accepted myself, and managed to make friends with people based on who I was, not only because of the stuff I liked but because I was willing to talk to people about other stuff, and actively tried to listen to the other people about things they liked. Might be going off on a tangent a bit, but a lot of the reasons I've noticed that nerds get made fun of is because they're seen as not opening themselves to other things. Act to contradict that particular view and nerds will get a lot further without having to act like not-nerds.

Compound that with the fact that, later in life, nerds often get a lot further than the jocks do, and things even out in the long run I think. Keep in mind, I'm not saying that bullying and everything is ok, nor am I saying that its the nerds fault, nor am I saying that every person is like this. But, as a generalization, both sides need to open up a bit, because often nerds are as bad with closing off others as the bullies are.

Back on topic, I don't see a problem buying my daughter a washer and dryer to play with if that's what she wants. If she were to walk in to the store, look at that particular toy, and say "Daddy! Buy me that!" I would be more than willing to get it for her. Part of the process in removing stereotypes and gender biases is letting those who like staying within those particular boundaries do so. To force them out of their comfort zone is as bad as keeping others within the boundaries. Both ways you're not letting them be who they want to be.

As a disclaimer, I apologize if I offend anyone with this. I'm not trying to imply that traditional, shy nerds are even close to as bad traditional, aggressive bullies, nor am I trying to imply that women should stay in the kitchen. If you take offense to something I've said, I likely just worded it poorly, and would like to apologize in advance.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
hotsauceman said:
Woodsey said:
I'd say the "Her First" part is the issue; but then that's not something the kids pick up on.

But, y'know, kids like playing with that stuff. Little girls especially. So... they're gonna sell it. I don't think me playing with Action Men (and definitely not any Barbies when I was 3... ahem) or toy guns reinforced anything particularly.
Its that fact that toys teach kids how they are expected to behave. Women in our society still(even if they have a full time job and our married) are still the ones who do a mjority of work in the house. There is this quote i wish i could remember who said it but it went like this "Men have wives,Women don't" Basically men(although it is changing) are not the ones who are expected to clean so much anymore. It is still a womens job petty much sadly
Well, I dun messed up. My childhood taught me to fly, punch people and scream while powering up.

Dragon Ball Z action figures.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
hotsauceman said:
Ok. So i was killing time looking at the toy section at K-mart trying to think of what to get my nieces and nephews for there upcoming birthdays. I was in the girls section. I saw the typical fanfare(barbies,Baby doll and cooking toy etc.) When i saw a line of "Her first" toys. What i saw appalled me. "Her first Vacuum cleaner","Her first washer and dryer" and "her first refrigerator" all of them functional item from what i could see. I was just there speechless trying to process who came up with these idea and who would buy them for there daughters. I wrote in a paper awhile back about how toys are used to prepare kid for what is expected of them. And this just seems to prepare little girls for housework.
I notice you have no complaints about "his first tool set," or "his first lawn-mower," or "his first truck." IMO, you're more sexist than the people who make the toys.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
spartan231490 said:
I notice you have no complaints about "his first tool set," or "his first lawn-mower," or "his first truck." IMO, you're more sexist than the people who make the toys.
Thats because im not talking about boys toys. Im talking about girls toys. Boys have it set. Its alot easier for Men to move up the ladder then it is Women to. Go look up the "Glass ceiling" or "Sticky floor" sometime. It is because it is often seen as not a women place to be in a job markets or because they cannotbecause they have to go home and work a "Double shift". Men have it made. Women dont.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Okay... so the first thing I did when I read this was laugh. Yes, it makes me a terrible person. But I laughed because I can't help but imagine an evil Doctor Claw-like figure sitting and stroking a cat while an ominously insidious voice breaks from the darkness and says, "Yes, good... good... this will get the girls to know their place... muahahahahahaahah!!!" And later you find out his mom made him wear overall shorts.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
hotsauceman said:
spartan231490 said:
Thats because im not talking about boys toys. Im talking about girls toys. Boys have it set. Its alot easier for Men to move up the ladder then it is Women to. Go look up the "Glass ceiling" or "Sticky floor" sometime. It is because it is often seen as not a women place to be in a job markets or because they cannotbecause they have to go home and work a "Double shift". Men have it made. Women dont.
Kinda proving my point. Women aren't the only one who face discrimination and difficulties because of their gender. There is a double standard, and it doesn't always work in favor of men. Men don't "have it made," we have difficulties because of our gender too.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
spartan231490 said:
Kinda proving my point. Women aren't the only one who face discrimination and difficulties because of their gender. There is a double standard, and it doesn't always work in favor of men. Men don't "have it made," we have difficulties because of our gender too.
And what diffculty may that me? Men being Men so to speak get alot farther in this world and alot more admiration then Women who are Women. When men are aggressive(something valued in men and sports) in the work place(in terms of sales not physically aggresive) It get them ahead. Our business model in today's world is models for the Male to succeed. Not women. Atleast that my view.

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
jck4332 said:
What's wrong with that?
I would have loved a toy oven as a kid and I'm a guy.
I wanted a toy oven too, my grandmother said "screw that" and taught me how to cook pies that day.

OT: Toys like that have existed since well forever so where have you been? I'm curious.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure little kids like those kinds of toys, because it makes them feel grown-up.
I don't really see anything too wrong with them either.