How is it that some people get away with "suggestive" games based on copyrighted material?

RobAlister

Jun 3, 2011
Disclaimer: Before you read any further I just want it to be clear that I am not a "hater" and I am not complaining. Also I'm not sure what words I can or cannot use here so I went with "suggestive" in place of something else.

I'm sure you guys have seen/played games on sites like Newgrounds that feature copyrighted characters in them. These games often feature suggestive themes. What I want to know is, how do these people get away with this? I don't get it. Is it because it's considered a parody? I remember asking something similar years ago and someone gave Robot Chicken as an example.

I guess I can see how a show like that can get away with it but these games are using character images, names, music etc. and they don't look tacky. If a kid were to see some of these, they might not be able to tell the difference. Anyway, I'm interested in exactly what these people do to get away with it legally. If I'm being too vague I'll name a couple of games so you can see for yourself what I mean.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
Parody, yes. And also not being told to stop. I'm sure if IP owners hit a site like Newgrounds with a flurry of C&Ds, most of that stuff would just vanish in an instant.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, I think the copyright issue isn't a problem if no one's making any money. It's been 10 years since I checked out Newgrounds, but aren't all Newgrounds games done for free?